Intel Recalls Quad Core Xeon CPU because of inadeqate stock cooler

They probably should just send you a better cooler at no cost to the customer.

I find this somewhat amusing:
Intel’s distributors are advised to return existing inventory of the boxed Xeon E-2274G product and get a tray version instead.

Look at that anemic piece of shit.
vince check kek.jpg
LOL! Wasn't expecting to see that.

Funniest part is I've used that exact same heatsink profile from 2007? CPUs as an LED heatsink for my desk lamp. 3-up 2700k XML v1s running ~300mA. That's all it's good for.
It gets too hot passively cooling 12W, slightly lukewarm at 3W.. let alone a damn 100W CPU with a poxy sand-bearing fan. I was wondering how long they'd keep pushing that crap out. They also dumped the copper cores a while back IIRC, at least the old ones had solid, good quality press-fit copper slugs. Especially the fatter/different profile presshot 'sinks.
XML hsf.jpg

I had that same size cooler sitting around recently from an old 775 build I think. Ended up modifying it for an i5-760 and it would sit at 80C stock..

And they shipped it with a XEON lol

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I can't tell from the picture on Anandtech, but I'm assuming this is the heatsink version without the copper core? In my experience, the ones with the copper core weren't that bad for normal workloads, but the all aluminum ones were shorter in height and seemed to have a different fin thickness from the other variety.

Um...isn't that the same cooler my Core 2 duo X6800 came with ?

I think it's worse. Back in the day they had copper cores and higher tdp units where actually thicker.

Now they include the same heatsink that was reserved for sub i3 pentium cpus for cpus all the way up to the i7 9700. We just built a batch of 9700s with stock coolers and the poor things spin up to full speed just installing basic apps. Thank god most users don't actually do anything more demanding than MS Office and web browsing. They were fine for quad cores but anything more than that and they throttle constantly.

I can't tell from the picture on Anandtech, but I'm assuming this is the heatsink version without the copper core?

I have not seen a version with a copper core or even the thick aluminum ones in years. I don't think Intel makes them anymore

like this
Um...isn't that the same cooler my Core 2 duo X6800 came with ?

For reference, here is mine from my c2q 6700.

IMG_20191114_164204.jpg

IMG_20191114_164157.jpg

IMG_20191114_164153.jpg

As you can see, not copper either. It was garbage even then. Mind you, I think those quads ran pretty warm iirc.

I have the Xeon E3-1245 v2. It came with a copper core heat sink. I never used it and swapped it for a Hyper 212 EVO.
I actually am using the Xeon heatsink on an i5 2400s now, seems to be adequate for the job.

For those of you remembering the coolers that came with C2Ds and old P4s, Please note: The 775 coolers had a massive copper bullet contacting the CPU making heat conductivity much better and increasing mass. The more recent intel coolers are honestly a few ounces of aluminum and a noisy fan.

I just heard why they included this heat sink!

Once you load all the patches for their vulnerabilities, it's so slow this heat sink can EASILY handle the CPU

poor things spin up to full speed just installing basic apps
They are the worst cooler I've ever come across in terms of noise signature.
edit: and thermals.
Worst cooler ever IMO for anything but a dual core.

A groaning, grindy, loud-ass rock-sounding ball bearings with a whirring mechanical motor sound that should belong to a belt driven drill press or something. Nasty AF and only gets worse with a tiny bit of dust (which happens quickly).

The old presshot ones are pretty damn heavy for the their size, I wonder if this would still have happened if they didn't ditch the copper..

Built my neighbor an old 3000 series quad and it's the only thing I've recommended to upgrade in years, can hear it's on the way out..

For those of you remembering the coolers that came with C2Ds and old P4s, Please note: The 775 coolers had a massive copper bullet contacting the CPU making heat conductivity much better and increasing mass. The more recent intel coolers are honestly a few ounces of aluminum and a noisy fan.

No, not all of them had the copper core. I can't specifically remember but I think my E6400 did not have the copper core. However, both my retail box Q6600s had the copper core cooler. I think my friend's Q6600 retail box did not come with a copper core heatsink. I never once used the stock heatsink with my Q6600s so I gave my friend one of my copper core heatsinks.

I do remember that Intel pulled some shenanigans with included heatsinks during that time and eventually removed the copper core heatsinks from most of the CPUs except for the higher end models. That's how I had two copper core heatsinks but my friend didn't get one with his Q6600.

That said, the pictures posted above seem very, very off for a Q6700 heatsink. None of the three retail Q6600s or the E6400 ever had a heatsink that short. Copper core or not they were all at least twice that height.

They have been peddling these super crappy coolers for years. It was very obvious that they were crap back then. They might be good for throwing at an intruder... at least the older heavier ones that is.

The newest lightest ones might as well just be chucked in file 13 as soon as you get them.

Well, I guess they are ok to use for just testing CPUs and boards to make sure they will POST but that is about it.

like this
The last time I used an Intel cooler was when the Pentium III came in Slot 1. After that, I bought the cheapest aftermarket cooler, for my personal builds.

And usually, you can't overclock with the "decent" included garbage either, it's just "good enough", just like Intel's.

And didn't AMD "optimize" (a short way to say you must liquid cool) the 3950 for liquid cooling AND recommended AND not included? Yeah! AMD is light-years ahead.

Intel NOT "optimizing" their CPUs for liquid cooling.........so light-years behind.

No offense, but that's an absurd argument. A 3950X doesn't have a cooler, so what? Last time I checked every "K" Intel processor had no cooler nor did anything Intel sells with more than 8 cores.

There's no reason you couldn't use the stock Intel cooler on lower end CPU's (say i5 8400 type CPUs) and below. It hasn't been until recently that Intel started pushing to the point where the power draw and heat output overcame the stock 11XX cooler they provided for stock speed operation. It might not always be the quietest, but it works for normal not stress test/benchmarking usage. Sky/Kaby Lake 4 core CPU's are much cooler at stock speeds compared to Coffee Lake 6 and 8 core parts where that "95W" number is completely irrelevant.

I don't think it's really that debatable that the AMD stock cooler is better than the Intel stock cooler. For one, AMD actually includes it where Intel doesn't, and on the low end (3600/3400g) it's comparable to the stock Intel cooler, and it only goes up from there. Would I use it? Probably not. Would I put it on my mother's computer for internet browsing and playing with facebook? Sure.

No offense, but that's an absurd argument. A 3950X doesn't have a cooler, so what? Last time I checked every "K" Intel processor had no cooler nor did anything Intel sells with more than 8 cores.

There's no reason you couldn't use the stock Intel cooler on lower end CPU's (say i5 8400 type CPUs) and below. It hasn't been until recently that Intel started pushing to the point where the power draw and heat output overcame the stock 11XX cooler they provided for stock speed operation. It might not always be the quietest, but it works for normal not stress test/benchmarking usage. Sky/Kaby Lake 4 core CPU's are much cooler at stock speeds compared to Coffee Lake 6 and 8 core parts where that "95W" number is completely irrelevant.

I don't think it's really that debatable that the AMD stock cooler is better than the Intel stock cooler. For one, AMD actually includes it where Intel doesn't, and on the low end (3600/3400g) it's comparable to the stock Intel cooler, and it only goes up from there. Would I use it? Probably not. Would I put it on my mother's computer for internet browsing and playing with facebook? Sure.

Intel was peddling these crap coolers with such processors as the i7-920. Put the CPU under any type of load and it would get close to max temp and the fan would ramp all the way to full speed.
They should have recalled them back then.

Intel was peddling these crap coolers with such processors as the i7-920. Put the CPU under any type of load and it would get close to max temp and the fan would ramp all the way to full speed.
They should have recalled them back then.

The 920 was a 130W CPU and should have never come with that style cooler. They had a tower cooler for the 6 core 970 which was much better.

I have one of the Intel tower coolers. Not near as good as an aftermarket.. but good enough to run a first gen 6-core i7 at about 3.4Ghz

I think I sold mine here on the forums for free + actual shipping :p. It looked nice, but it was only for LGA1366 and nothing else.

Heh... I modded the bracket on my Thermaltake Big Typhoon and used it on my i7-920 setup when I first moved to an x58 setup. Was good for about a 3.6Ghz overclock.

I also have low profile heatpipe cooler that came with an AMD Opteron of some sort that I modified to mount on a Slot-A Athlon.

"Only for LGA1366".. hah!

like this
Heh... I modded the bracket on my Thermaltake Big Typhoon and used it on my i7-920 setup when I first moved to an x58 setup. Was good for about a 3.6Ghz overclock.

I also have low profile heatpipe cooler that came with an AMD Opteron of some sort that I modified to mount on a Slot-A Athlon.

"Only for LGA1366".. hah!

Well, I mean without modding. A comparable 212+ fits damn near every socket for example...

The last time I used an Intel cooler was when the Pentium III came in Slot 1. After that, I bought the cheapest aftermarket cooler, for my personal builds.

And usually, you can't overclock with the "decent" included garbage either, it's just "good enough", just like Intel's.

And didn't AMD "optimize" (a short way to say you must liquid cool) the 3950 for liquid cooling AND recommended AND not included? Yeah! AMD is light-years ahead.

Intel NOT "optimizing" their CPUs for liquid cooling.........so light-years behind.

Having used both, AMD included thermal solution is much better. It can OC itself a little bit under PBO but yes, there isn't much left on the table thermally.
It was fine for me smashing video editing out on a 2600X, it didn't throttle at all and was still pretty quiet stock, surprisingly so. Much quieter and noticeably better than one of the extruded, low surface area intel designs. The fan alone is probably worth more than the entire intel HSF.

AMD is just using marketing bullshit, but it's because if they had to include a CPU cooler it would be pretty serious and still be 'just good enough' for that kind of CPU. This is a 16 core CPU that runs ~4GHz all core or more....
Intel has WC only Xeons, they already beat AMD to the punch. Oh and that CTEX water chiller PR stunt...

Quad-Core Xeon? Does such a thing really still exist in the Ryzen era?
Oh yea, and even in that platinum style . My inside sales team screwed up and purchased me a USC C240 with a Xeon Platinum 8156 instead of the Gold version I wanted with a bunch more cores for a lot less money. Was pretty angry, but still did the job for the traffic generator for the Cable Remote Phy lab I was making, but hey, good for the account team for wasting an extra $5k .

Back