Intel Readying 5.1 GHz Xeon Chip

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This will be the company’s first 5 GHz stock CPU.

Getting there won't be easy for this socket LGA2011v3 chip. Despite being a quad-core chip, with just four out of eight cores on the "Broadwell-EP" silicon bring physically enabled, the chip's TDP is rated at 165W. Other features include 10 MB of L3 cache, and a quad-channel DDR4 memory interface.

Am I the only one who has the Tim Allen grunt running through my head right now :D

all of you dont get your hopes up intel does not sell E5 xeons to the general public. And since this is an xeon = highier binned chips so dont expect these kinda clocks on mainstream x99

Quad-core? Why not hexa-core?
Because of the higher TDP a 6 core chip would have most likely, and the associated problems with cooling a ~240W chip. Intel has made these higher clocked Xeons before to fill a server segment that values low latency throughput. One application is in high frequency trading servers located physically close to stock market trading servers, for example.

Would love to get my hands on one of these. Work or play im easy

You can probably only get one of these out of a prebuilt x86 based HP, Dell, or Lenovo server. I am going to keep my eye out for one

You might luck into a couple on eBay. Look at all the ES chips that are on there.
the Core2Duo E8700 was never offered for sale but a couple dozen wound up online. Snagged one myself.

i thought they would not ever going to release a 5ghz cpu. i wonder has fast is it going to be compared to a 5960x (or 6960x will it is out?)

i thought they would not ever going to release a 5ghz cpu. i wonder has fast is it going to be compared to a 5960x (or 6960x when it is out?)

I would buy this, but my guess is that the consumer price will be prohibitive.

Hey guys here's this badass chip you plebs would love to have!

Just kidding, we're only selling it to OEM's and if we find you with an ES chip you'll get some paperwork.

Sincerely,

Your greatest ally.

Seems directed to the workstation/server market but the area it would really shine in is gaming :D

I'd love to get a set of these, I think they are going to be the 2011 everest chip :)

Back