Intel Readies Z390 Chipset for 2018 Launch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
According to a leaked roadmap posted at the AnandTech forums, Z370 motherboards will indeed be released in Q4 2017, but that isn’t all: we’ll be treated to yet another chipset in the second half of 2018, the Z390. Not much is known about it, but expect a more optimized and performance-tuned solution for Coffee Lake.

According to a leaked roadmap posted at the AnandTech forums, Z370 motherboards will indeed be released in Q4 2017, but that isn’t all: we’ll be treated to yet another chipset in the second half of 2018, the Z390. Not much is known about it, but expect a more optimized and performance-tuned solution for Coffee Lake.

In other words a real new chipset and not the money grab/Coffee Lake Tax that the Z370 is.

So does this make Ice Lake on 400 series a 2019 release then?

So does this make Ice Lake on 400 series a 2019 release then?

It may use the same chipset. The 300 series chipsets (Cept 370) is Cannon Lake chipset.

Z390 is likely the Icelake K chipset.

Can we fully turn off the AMT/ME backdoors yet??? Without the CPU forcefully turning itself off?

It may use the same chipset. The 300 series chipsets (Cept 370) is Cannon Lake chipset.

Z390 is likely the Icelake K chipset.

I was wondering if that might be the case, but they could go either way.

Once the Coffee / Cannon launch is over I hope we start seeing more info on Ice Lake and the next HEDT chip. Not sure if they'll do a Coffee-X or Cannon-X.

I was wondering if that might be the case, but they could go either way.

Once the Coffee / Cannon launch is over I hope we start seeing more info on Ice Lake and the next HEDT chip. Not sure if they'll do a Coffee-X or Cannon-X.

Cannon Lake is mobile only. Maybe Xeon-Ds too.

HEDT gets Coffee Lake X and Cascade Lake. (Both 14nm++).

Will be interesting to see if they go to DMI 4.0 on the Z390 boards. From my understanding, the Z370 will basically be the same as the Z270 with DMI 3.0 which is only PCIE 3.0 x 4. Considering full speed M.2 SSD's could basically eat that entire bandwidth, you can't even have 2 M.2's running full speed unless one is in a pcie x16 slot which would then bump your gpu down to pcie 3.0 x8 (which real world won't matter). Regardless, I hope Intel figures something out because it is seeming like DMI 3.0 which was introduced in 2015 is already getting long in the tooth when we look at all the stuff that needs bandwidth through the chipset: USB 3.1, Gigabit ethernet, M.2 SSD's, etc...

This is the reason I'm tempted to go to Threadripper since most of the pcie lanes go right to the CPU.

DMI 4.0 is very unlikely. At best it will be 4.0 from the 16 lanes usually used for GPU.

If you consider TR, you are comparing it to the wrong product. X299/SKL-X is your path then. The alternative for CFL is an AM4 Ryzen.

Back