Intel® Xeon® Processor X7550 Hi-Res MACRO of CPU

xivlia

Limp Gawd
Hi there!

not sure if im posting this to the right place... but here it goes! recently ive been interested in stripping old CPU's and GPU's and etching them, and then finally taking macro shots of them with my Canon 5DSR. And im also working on a new PC project that involves these naked CPU/GPU dies.... but for now, take a look at one of my Xeon X7550 undressed!

let me know what you think! i have so many other CPU's and GPU's that i have extracted! if you want to see me more let me know!

cheers!!

NEW_PRINTING.jpg

Last edited:
please PLEASE show more. this is awesome!

Edit: post even higher-res. The site has an auto-resize, so super large images get shrunken with option to expand. I'd love to have something like this for a 4K desktop wallpaper

This is really cool - how are you unbonding the die from the flip-chip package?

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, but by stitching images together under a microscope, but could never get the dies off the package without cracking them.

Thanks guys! I'll post some more different dies later after work .

please PLEASE show more. this is awesome!

Edit: post even higher-res. The site has an auto-resize, so super large images get shrunken with option to expand. I'd love to have something like this for a 4K desktop wallpaper

Thanks How can I upload with the option to expand? Because these images are 50mp in size and look amazing expanded.

This is really cool - how are you unbonding the die from the flip-chip package?

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, but by stitching images together under a microscope, but could never get the dies off the package without cracking them.

It's a tricky one!, I first use a hot plate to remove the IHS, then I distill my own 98% sulfuric acid and dump all the cpus dies inside a flask with the sulfuric acid and boil it for about 30 minutes, and then I use some fuming nitric acid that I synthesized from sulfuric acid and potassium nitrate to remove any copper. And then I use some ammonium bifluoride to etch the surface!

Last edited:
All images posted to the site will be formatted to fit the window, but will expand to original uploaded size when clicked.

All images posted to the site will be formatted to fit the window, but will expand to original uploaded size when clicked.

Ah okay, well I'm on Mobile view at the moment, but when I get home I'll check on desktop view to see if I can see original size! .

P.S I'd love to do this on a threadripper !!

Ah okay, well I'm on Mobile view at the moment, but when I get home I'll check on desktop view to see if I can see original size! .

P.S I'd love to do this on a threadripper !!

TR is just 4 Ryzen dies inside, so you could get the same effect by doing this to a non-G Ryzen 3 (which is an 8c die with four cores disabled).

TR is just 4 Ryzen dies inside, so you could get the same effect by doing this to a non-G Ryzen 3 (which is an 8c die with four cores disabled).

Nice!! I'm gonna look into that. If only AMD would give me 4 of those! Hahaha

I have a Pentium Pro where the label markings are worn and could be interested to send it your way. I'd love to have the die back though to mount in glass and do some work related to my own area of expertise (which may be of interest to you also ;)).
Interested? Have not seen any high res shots of these online.

I also am willing to donate (for you to keep) various K6, Celeron, Pentium, maybe even a late Cyrix but they are pretty collectible these days.. I have probably 20-30 K6 and Celeron CPUs available if you wanted to sell raw dies to fund this endeavour if people are interested.

Love die shots and your work is spectacular, love how you capture the beautiful colours instead of trying to avoid them (colour is a huge part of my career lol.)

Very cool stuff. I'd love to see side-by-sides of an original Pentium with an i7-8700K. Unfortunately, I don't have a free one of either to devote to the cause.

I have a Pentium Pro where the label markings are worn and could be interested to send it your way. I'd love to have the die back though to mount in glass and do some work related to my own area of expertise (which may be of interest to you also ;)).
Interested? Have not seen any high res shots of these online.

I also am willing to donate (for you to keep) various K6, Celeron, Pentium, maybe even a late Cyrix but they are pretty collectible these days.. I have probably 20-30 K6 and Celeron CPUs available if you wanted to sell raw dies to fund this endeavour if people are interested.

Love die shots and your work is spectacular, love how you capture the beautiful colours instead of trying to avoid them (colour is a huge part of my career lol.)

I'd be very interested in doing that! However You probably live in the US. Whereas I'm in Scotland haha! So not sure how much shipping would cost. And also, once extracted, the cpus will be defunct. :D I've also not had any play around with non flip chips as I assume these are the older style front facing style. Which would make it much easier I guess... But who knows

Very cool stuff. I'd love to see side-by-sides of an original Pentium with an i7-8700K. Unfortunately, I don't have a free one of either to devote to the cause.

Oh I may have a pentium of some Sorts...but not the very original first pentium And 8700k, if I can get a broken one, I will!

here is another Intel CPU, ranging from 1x macro all the way to 5x macro! the colors change due to the magnification of the lens and due to lens diffraction. the final 6th image is a crop of the 5x macro... Enjoy! :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
>1b dead skin flakes

Gross

Post more :-D

:D :D theyre not skin flakes! haha, this was one of my first die exposing. and the technique i used left a hard surface with microscopic "chunks" coming out of the silicon due to me being an idiot and using a scraping tool to clear the copper surface.... now i have perfected the method and i use a solvent etching method which leaves the dies in a very good clean and shiny looking surface :D

i will do more guys, ive just been very busy lately with my other jobs... i do some semi-profesional photography, i work in Vodafone retail... and i do streaming. So ive quite a tight schedule :(

These are great, I love seeing stuff like this.

There is also a "Digital Artwerk" sub forum here that this would fit into well, lots of photography threads there.

Anyone got a faulty RTX 2000 series ???? I'll happily take it off your hands and expose its internal circuitry!!!! And post it back to you?????!?!?!

I love it when people come up with creative stuff like this. Dig it man!

I think this would look cool as a large print hung on the living room wall - well for a geek like me at least :)

EDIT: I really dig the red - violet - green in the first pic

Is it a faulty card? Because this is 100% destructive testing. Once it's extracted, that baby's dead for sure xD

It is not a faulty card, but it's been in my closet doing nothing however many years. I am fully aware of the destructive properties of H2SO4 and HNO3 :)

It is not a faulty card, but it's been in my closet doing nothing however many years. I am fully aware of the destructive properties of H2SO4 and HNO3 :)

Hehe, okay mate. I'll pm you my details! And take some Extreme high res pictures when it arrives :)

here is another Intel CPU, ranging from 1x macro all the way to 5x macro! the colors change due to the magnification of the lens and due to lens diffraction. the final 6th image is a crop of the 5x macro... Enjoy! :D
*snip*

That is fucking awesome, seriously, very nice photo work there. Because of small the actual components of these types of wafers ends up being, zooming into them is almost like a fractal image of sorts 'cause as you "go deeper" it just seems like it repeats just at the smaller scale, just like a fractal does when you zoom in on it.

Truly wicked evil cool stuff, man, nice work. ;)

Hi there!

not sure if im posting this to the right place... but here it goes! recently ive been interested in stripping old CPU's and GPU's and etching them, and then finally taking macro shots of them with my Canon 5DSR. And im also working on a new PC project that involves these naked CPU/GPU dies.... but for now, take a look at one of my Xeon X7550 undressed!

let me know what you think! i have so many other CPU's and GPU's that i have extracted! if you want to see me more let me know!

cheers!!

View attachment 109178
Beautiful.
Would love to see Larabee under the knife.

God damn, thank you man.

I have a Q6600 I would be willing to ship...

UPDATE: Hi-RES picture has been added, but its still compressed by a massive amount. the original image was 80mb, the uploaded one is 11mb :p

https://www.instagram.com/xoomphotography/

this is also my photography page, got a few more dies there :D

I'm sure I'm late to the discussion

But I love using picload.org
As pics have a maximum size of 50mb (and if you pack it as a zip its 1gb)

Also, those shots look awesome, thx

very nicely done.

really interesting and beautiful at the same time.

Lovely work, and thanks for sharing!

I’m very suspicious of modern Intel CPUs, and even AMDs last couple of GPUs. I would love to have it proved to me that they are really different products, and not just bug fixed dies, or firmware/driver features enabled.

I hear many rumours of Intel motherboard chipsets not being any different to each other, just features fused off/on etc. Same goes for Intel NIC chips. Years worth of different models with no feature or voltage changes between them.

I wonder if you will get lawyers knocking on your door if you do uncover a new truth...A new dirty little secret of the industry!

Back