Intel(R) ICH8/ICH8R Family - LPC Interface Controller - 2810

Koslov

[H]ard|Gawd
when I go in my friend's computer under Device Manager in WinXP, in the "other" there's a yellow exclamation point "unknown device". When i right click and go in the properties it says: on Intel(R) ICH8/ICH8R Family LPC Interface Controller - 2810

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

---

He just formatted and the first thing he did was to install the latest chipset driver from intel for his Asus P5B vanilla. Is there a driver that he's missing? is it bad?

Try updating Windows XP if you haven't already. Then reinstall the chipset drivers.

I got the same thing, but I haven't installed XP updates yet...

EDIT: All updates installed. I've tried reinstalling both the Chipset and RAID drivers to no avail...any ideas?

Its not Pcprobe, its part of the intel chipset and the drivers are failing to install because of a resource conflict or because they cant find the right driver. Either force the driver to install through the advanced option in the device manager or clear the cmos and format and reinstall the operating system.

Sorry, I meant that PC Probe fixed it, hehe. I had Dev Mgr open while installing PC Probe and the ! went right on away after install. Here's some info on Intel that describes LPC as low pin count and describes it as I/O for legacy. It might be related to power management, USB, or something else.

I just had a similar problem on an Asus P5Q Pro with the ICH10R. Installing PCProbe worked as the install program has a driver for the ACPI.

I honestly can't remember why, but I started disabling that device rather than installing a driver for it. IIRC, it hindered overclocking or became an annoyance. This was on the Maximus Formula.

I don't even know what the device is (I got the board open box, so I just had to download drivers). It seemed like it was for controlling legacy devices. Do you remember what it was called in bios?

I actually found this thread on google. I figured I know Hardforum. I'll see what they have to say ;).

EPU
From what I remember, it switches from 4 to 8 phase PWM regulation depending on usage.

Back