Intel® Core™ i3 2100 LGA 1155 3.1GHz Boxed Processor for $99 with mobo at microcenter

I was there at about 2:30 central and they had a big stack of, maybe, 40 boards behind the counter in their computer components area.

The price of the chip was up to 119 but the motherboard was still free so, good deal still. And its one per household so, sorry, I could only snag one for myself.

You rock! Thanks for the detail. I had been checking the web page for inventory so VERY good to know. Bummer that the combo is more now.

I just bought the board and processor for 105. :D The boards they have now are actually better than the original boards. These boards you can actually overclock!!!! This is a good business move on their part.

Was anyone able to get one in the philadelphia/st. davids area? I'm headed out there if they have them...

Hmm. Can anyone verify if the Houston store has any in stock? I'm tempted to swap my amd setup for this.

I just bought the board and processor for 105. :D The boards they have now are actually better than the original boards. These boards you can actually overclock!!!! This is a good business move on their part.

What board are they selling now? I take it they gave it to you for the prior price of 100 (and the $5 extra bucks is tax)?

Thanks

I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to get it, if you just print the add and take it in the store. It's just a matter of them having the motherboard... I guess I'll try calling, if no one can confirm they're in stock in the philadelphia area store.

What board are they selling now? I take it they gave it to you for the prior price of 100 (and the $5 extra bucks is tax)?

Thanks

Yeah I got the board and the processor for the original sale price. I was wrong on the board though. :( The board is actually the same model with out the hdmi output. (MSI H61M P23) This isn't an issue for me since I already have a ATI HD5450 card and will rebuild my HTPC with this combo.

well if anyone gets and extra I will buy it with a little extra to cover the cost of you picking up and ship to myself through my fedex account. i dont need hdmi cause my monitor is just dvi or vga LOL

actually the add itself says expired 3/27/2011, so at this point it seems to be a complete ymv

I can go buy one of these combos.

If anybody can figure out a way for me to get rid of my i5 2400 and end up with more than $150 in my pocket, I'm open to suggestions.

I can go buy one of these combos.

If anybody can figure out a way for me to get rid of my i5 2400 and end up with more than $150 in my pocket, I'm open to suggestions.

find someone to buy my projector and i will buy your 2400 LOL.

I would be willing to TRADE for i3 for something of equal value...

trade what? your selling an i3 2100 right? if only you had the MB with it LOL. unfortunately only things i have right now, are a NEC Projector which is more than the proc. and a PA\Bass guitar subwoofer cabinet. :/

would this combo make for a decent gaming system? no overclocking of course. maybe a 5870, or 6850. what you think?

would this combo make for a decent gaming system? no overclocking of course. maybe a 5870, or 6850. what you think?

depending on the game I think it will kick ass. hell i was planning on a similar system with the processor's video since the most video intense game i play is shaiya which isnt that much LOL

If you get a whine disable some of the power management stuff. Not sure which one turned it off but man I needed it off.

Also what are you guys idling around, I mean not your all time best idle temp but after everything us updated and installed what realistic temps are you at?

Last edited:
So I called the St. Davids, PA store yesterday to see if they were still honoring the sale and the person on the phone said yes, it was still being honored and they had 4 boards left in stock. I try to hurry over and traffic is horrible so it takes me like an hour. I get there and the salesperson says "no, we ran out last week and it wasn't extended and we're not doing replacements." I'm done with Microcenter.

So I called the St. Davids, PA store yesterday to see if they were still honoring the sale and the person on the phone said yes, it was still being honored and they had 4 boards left in stock. I try to hurry over and traffic is horrible so it takes me like an hour. I get there and the salesperson says "no, we ran out last week and it wasn't extended and we're not doing replacements." I'm done with Microcenter.
that sucks.

Probably should have asked around a bit more. It's possible the salesperson was misinformed.

Also, I wonder if you could have asked them to hold onto one board for you

If you get a whine disable some of the power management stuff. Not sure which one turned it off but man I needed it off.

Also what are you guys idling around, I mean not your all time best idle temp but after everything us updated and installed what realistic temps are you at?

Yeah I was about to get a different board, that whine is horrid. I'll try this first.

Ha, I called my Microcenter today and the guy was grumpy and told me I would have to come into the store and ask. :(
Quite the drive for me. Oh well...

Yeah I was about to get a different board, that whine is horrid. I'll try this first.

Power Technology is the option that needs to be disabled.
Everything else I have found seems to be fine. I have not tried enabling C1E on since Power Technology is now off. Have you tried it? I'm afraid If I turn it on it will jack with things and make me have to reinstall windows like my P35 did. Maybe you can tell me.

That kind of defeats the purpose of having a high-performance low-power usage system though :/

Looks like a lot of boards have whine. The good news is that I bet if you put a higher-draw proc in there it would go away.

That kind of defeats the purpose of having a high-performance low-power usage system though :/

Looks like a lot of boards have whine. The good news is that I bet if you put a higher-draw proc in there it would go away.

Well my cpu is around 1.146V or something so not sure how it is really going to make a difference over all. Not enough that I should worry.

I'm not at my computer right now is Spread Spectrum set to enabled or disabled at default? You can see if that gets rid of the sound as well. Let us know.

I enabled c1e nothing happened except in HWinfo32 the cpu's coltage actually hops a bit higher at times. I'm keeping it disabled. I guess not all power saving options really save power.

Last edited:
Anyone want to trade one of these combos for a Radeon 5850 flashed to 900/1200? You're getting a good deal on a 5850, and I get a decent deal on one of these combos I missed out on :)

I'm thinking I'd be better off with one of these i3 combos and something like a 5770 than my Athlon II X2 210e and 5850.

Last edited:

I was told on various occasions from the KC store that the boards would be in tomorrow and the sale was still going on. Called Thursday afternoon and was assured they would be coming in about 5 pm on Friday. I called about noon on Friday and guess what? They were delivered Thursday and were already sold out. I wish the employees there would stick to a story or have told me that apparently people throughout the week were purchasing the cpu and then getting the board later for free. I asked about the promotion all week and was simply told to call back later and then after it's over they tell me I could have bought the cpu and gotten the board later for free. Horribly run for being 'continued an additional week.'

Can someone tell me in their Device manager under Other Devices if PCI Simple Communications controller is Controller is unknown. What driver did you get it to work if you did?

I was told on various occasions from the KC store that the boards would be in tomorrow and the sale was still going on. Called Thursday afternoon and was assured they would be coming in about 5 pm on Friday. I called about noon on Friday and guess what? They were delivered Thursday and were already sold out. I wish the employees there would stick to a story or have told me that apparently people throughout the week were purchasing the cpu and then getting the board later for free. I asked about the promotion all week and was simply told to call back later and then after it's over they tell me I could have bought the cpu and gotten the board later for free. Horribly run for being 'continued an additional week.'

That's why you don't call Microcenter. I was there Wednesday and was told it's still going on but the truck won't be in until Thursday, and was told to call after 12 pm.

I went to lunch in the area on Thursday and the guy I talked to said the boards came in on Wednesday (before I talked to the first guy) and that the warehouse manager was being "a pain." The second guy went back and got a board for me, said it was one that he set aside for himself.

Seems like every time I've called that store the only thing the person is interested in doing is getting you off the phone.

Power Technology is the option that needs to be disabled.
Everything else I have found seems to be fine. I have not tried enabling C1E on since Power Technology is now off. Have you tried it? I'm afraid If I turn it on it will jack with things and make me have to reinstall windows like my P35 did. Maybe you can tell me.

I didn't feel like messing with it. I just turned it all off.

LOL Thanks and way to go Live update lol, uninstalling it for being useless.

Yeah, I ran Live Update right after installing windows 7 and the only thing it told me needed updating was the BIOS... Pretty worthless.

What are you guys getting in 3dMark11 and Vantage?

Using it has a cheap server 2008 box. It does totally lag the system down if you're doing heavy hard drive writes. I wouldn't use this as a main system board.

I'm using this combo for my HTPC and my idle temps with just Media Center watching live tv is at 36c. This is of course with the craptastical intel heatsink.

I'm not getting this whine noise you guys are talking about on my board though.

According to the MSI Control Center utility, I'm idling around 30/31 C. I put arctic silver on the HSF, no case fans besides the PSU, no video card, one hard drive.

According to the MSI Control Center utility, I'm idling around 30/31 C. I put arctic silver on the HSF, no case fans besides the PSU, no video card, one hard drive.

I'm around there too 28-34 depending using Arctic silver 5 and stock heatsink

Back