Intel Publishes In-House Security Fix Benchmarks for Desktop

i have a skylake.
I'm curious about that last item that took the biggest hit.... which item took the hit.
I couldn't give a shit about dna sequencing, but if photo enhancement and other shit decreased, that's bad.

will need to see photoshop bench

Yeah, back in the old days when a new few CPUs would come out, like the release of the P2 333, 350, and 400, that saw an increase in performance of 40-60%, a decrease in power usage by 50%, and a price decrease of nearly a third, or like the release of the 486, which saw an increase in performance at the same clock speed of 30-40% at the same price point the 386 held a year before. A whole new generation would actually mean huge performance gains. Those days have obviously ended.

A whole new generation was generally 4 or 5 years after the last one. The performance we gained in the mean time was usually due to significant clock speed increases, which is something that's much harder to accomplish now.

A whole new generation was generally 4 or 5 years after the last one. The performance we gained in the mean time was usually due to significant clock speed increases, which is something that's much harder to accomplish now.

Yeah, and over the last 8 years, from the Nehalem to Kaby Lake, we got a total of about 15% performance improvement.

'Intel touted'

Do you expect Intel to produce new products and not market them? Do you believe all marketing when confronted with it?

:)
Well that's kind of the point. We, as enthusiast, called Intel on it.

from a reputable site (probably the best CPU Tester out there)

All a matter of perspective. We bitched about a measly 5-10% increase from generation to generation and now we are bitching about a 10% loss from the patch.

At 4.6 Ghz, 10% is equivalent to losing 460Mhz. The difference between a 4.14 Ghz clock and a 4.6Ghz clock.

That's not insignificant to me... These days that's the difference between an absolute dud of a CPU and a great overclocker.

At 4.6 Ghz, 10% is equivalent to losing 460Mhz. The difference between a 4.14 Ghz clock and a 4.6Ghz clock.

That's not insignificant to me... These days that's the difference between an absolute dud of a CPU and a great overclocker.

Also to keep in mind, those patched are marketed as "mitigating" the issue, not solving it. We've only see the tip of the iceberg... stay tuned

Congratulations! You delidded, tweaked + validated the OC, etc. just to get close to "stock" performance :)

Intel better be offering freaking huge discounts next gen if you have previous hardware...

I am still running a Sandy Bridge 2500k in my main gaming rig and on several systems at work. It seems that this is still a very popular processor (at least for its age). I hope they release a patch for it as well. Even if I build a new system in the next year, I usually take my "hand me downs" to my business and use them there.

Intel better be offering freaking huge discounts next gen if you have previous hardware...

Blah ha ha ha...NEXT GEN will go to all the big server companies first to kiss ass and make nice nice so AMD doesn't capture market share.

You mark my words, we'll be lucky to see a steady supply of the next gen parts for the consumer space. If you think video cards are hard to get ahold of at reasonable price...just wait what's going to happen with Intel's new part.

To Intel, we enthusiast deserve the breadcrumbs because we aren't the main contributor to their bottom line.

Reactions: mat9v
like this
To Intel, we enthusiast deserve the breadcrumbs because we aren't the main contributor to their bottom line.

Please don't take my quoting you as being personal- it's not!- however, I do want to point out that Intel is a business, and that while your perspective is certainly accurate in that the enthusiast market will most certainly be serviced after OEMs, this isn't necessarily due to any malice Intel may or may not have toward the enthusiast market.

I expect any company to take care of the bottom line, first- if they don't do that, there won't be anything for enthusiasts to begin with!

So much for my recent SQL server upgrade. Looks like this will take a chunk of the increased speed.
Luckily the upgrade was just a couple new CPU's, memory and some new drives, so as long as I get another year out of it I'm good.

If I had spent $15,000 on a new server, I'd be upset, since a new server would have to last me several years.

Yeah, desktop performance hits were never really the main concern with this. Database servers are getting it HARD by this patch, and web servers get a pretty big hit, too.

I'm wondering if they rolled this out at work. All of a sudden my work network/databases feel like they are stuck in frozen molasses.

Please don't take my quoting you as being personal- it's not!- however, I do want to point out that Intel is a business, and that while your perspective is certainly accurate in that the enthusiast market will most certainly be serviced after OEMs, this isn't necessarily due to any malice Intel may or may not have toward the enthusiast market.

I expect any company to take care of the bottom line, first- if they don't do that, there won't be anything for enthusiasts to begin with!

Oh I agree. They want our love too. It's just not as profitable to them, so we are a secondary concern.

I always overprovision, but you don't expect a bug to chew up this much of your extra CPU power.

If you want to see if you are actually fully patched do this in an admin powershell: Import-Module speculationcontrol; Get-SpeculationControlSettings and make sure everything comes back green. It will give you suggestions on what to do if there is a problem applying the patch.

I always overprovision, but you don't expect a bug to chew up this much of your extra CPU power.
20% over spec to compensate for eventual patches and software growth. If it's a storage server vital to company ops, get as much space as you can afford up to a factor of usage with provisions for hot swap RAID expansion

20% over spec to compensate for eventual patches and software growth. If it's a storage server vital to company ops, get as much space as you can afford up to a factor of usage with provisions for hot swap RAID expansion

If only it was that simple.

It's usually more like:
What's the budget? (not enough)
How much data? (no idea, maybe 10,000. 10,000 what? I don't know.)
How many users (20, no 30. 3 months later: Can we make this data available to all our customers on the web? no extra budget of course)

Why do the reports run so slow? (because you have 10 people all trying to run unoptimized reports at the same time!)

Back