Intel Proset new drivers, installed, but wait a minute...

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
Ok, so I heard there was a new flaw with Intel Proset wireless adapters, and the latest drivers (v. 10.5.0.0) would fix the problem. So I haven't updated my wireless adapter drivers for a while so I figured now would be a great time to do it. I installed Intel's proset wireless drivers. First of all the whole setup was 132 megabytes. I mean that was fairly large for a set of software and drivers to manage my wireless card. But oh well I downloaded it and installed it anyways.

The software works great, it auto disables Windows wireless management as expected and has a good interface, etc.

Now to the dirt. In taskmanager it shows that S24EvMon.exe consumes 119 megabytes of memory. I even saw it shoot up to 160 megs at one time. Holy fuck man. No wireless services should be consuming this many resources. Is there something wrong? Anyone else noticing this???

I'm using Proset 9.0.1.0, only uses 4MB of memory.

I recently upgraded a customer to the new release, I'll have to check that now.

I don't intend to upgrade Proset, just the driver. I don't like the new interface.

Well on top of all the proset stuff, the extra services add a lot of weight, not even S24EvMon. There's iFrmewrk.exe and Dot1XCfg.exe, both hogging up 14 to 19 MB of ram. This is some extreme bloatware.

I tried killing or disabling the services but it totally causes the Proset software to stop working, obviously, but I was seeing if there were any workarounds.

I'd uninstall and reinstall the old drivers and proset, then reinstall the new driver only.

Or system restore to the old proset, then manually install the driver, either way...

Intel makes good wireless cards, but their drivers tend to suck. I had to run the old 8.xxx driver to get a decent connection until the 9.0.39 (I think thats it, tried many).

Oh man.

I thought it was just a problem on my end. I also updated to the new drivers. Damn thing takes up a lot of RAM. S24EvMon.exe takes up to 100MB somtimes.

I'm gonna try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers tonight. See if there's any change.

If you do a fresh install rather than an upgrade from the 9.0.x.x versions it will usually keep the resource hogging down. Also make sure the latest driver is seated as sometimes the software fails to install the updated driver.

Friday August 25, 2006

Intel WiFi Software Hogs Memory

There is an update due out today for the Intel PROSet software that is hogging system memory. According to an Intel spokesman, the problem affects the Intel PROSet software version 10.5.

"One of the processes used by the Intel PROSet software was not releasing the (file) handles correctly, which caused more and more memory to be used by the process," Martin said. As a result, a PC slows down, she said.

A hah! At least there is a fix now.

Glad to see they rectified this problem. However, I can't find that update. Has Intel even posted it up yet?

Back