Intel promises Full Memory Encryption in upcoming CPUs

erek

[H]F Junkie
Excited? Believe in their dedication to security??

"This is probably a difficult time to give exciting presentations on Intel's security roadmap. Speculative prediction vulnerabilities have hurt Intel's processors considerably more than their competitors', and the company has been beaten significantly to market by faster, easier-to-use hardware memory encryption technologies as well.

Rao and Woodgate put a brave face on things by talking up how SGX has been and is being used in Azure. But it seems apparent that the systemwide approach to memory encryption already implemented in AMD's Epyc CPUs—and even in some of their desktop line—will have a far greater lasting impact. Intel's slides about their own upcoming full memory encryption are labeled "innovations," but they look a lot more like catching up to their already-established competition."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/02/intel-promises-full-memory-encryption-in-upcoming-cpus/

I think with their current track record the million dollar question is whether they'll take shortcuts to speed up encryption that might create security holes. Hopefully they've learned their lesson.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
AMD put out a new driver for my EPYC’s to fix some issues that popped up after a required windows server update. They now crash, so the fix is to roll back 2 versions of the drivers and keep the windows update. They hope to have a fix shortly. I am not saying Intel’s drivers don’t have issues but I don’t recall the last time I had one that would over ride your power settings and put your server to sleep to then not wake up with out a hard reset....

Edit.
I want to point out that based on the core counts I need to keep everything happy that Intel is way outside my price range. My 15K EPYC’s would easily be 30K Xeons.

Last edited:
"Hey Intel, why are your processors so much slower than AMD?"

We have full memory encryption and they don't.

And.... we are doubleplus good.

"Hey Intel, why are your processors so much slower than AMD?"

We have full memory encryption and they don't.

And.... we are doubleplus good.
I wouldn’t exactly call them slower in a VM environment. There is a solid give and take I would say that AMD crushes Intel on the price/performance on the CPU side but Intel has a much better ecosystem. You start pairing in Optaine, high speed networking, and their “extra” features and yeah you end up paying more for those features but when you get into them you really miss them when they are gone. And those Management, and network, and HDD controllers and such really perform much better in other areas so they perform as completely different animals.

https://blog.cloudflare.com/technic...udflare-chose-amd-epyc-for-gen-x-servers/amp/

From this article:
Finally, we described how we use Secure Memory Encryption (SME), an interesting security feature within the System on a Chip architecture of the AMD EPYC line. We were impressed by how we could achieve RAM encryption without significant decrease in performance. This reduces the worry that any data could be exfiltrated from a stolen server.

Really starting to think that Intel might be up shit creek...

Back