Intel Plans To Battle AMD Ryzen 4000 In 2020 With Mass of Hyper-Threaded Processors Including 5.3GHz

40g IB at home is the new 10g, the mellanox 3 40g IB cards can be had for 50 bucks each off ebay.

6-8 years from now when the market is flooded with used 100g pcie4 intel cards and my current threadripper 3970x gets turned into the new ZFS server I'll be glad it has PCIE4 to make use of 100g over one of these:

https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/615503

Also of note, intel likes to hide that this 100g pcie4 card uses pcie4 since their platforms don't support it yet.

from the doc

pcie 3 and 4

HOST INTERFACE FEATURES PCI Express 3.0/4.0 x16, x8

Reactions: mikeo
like this
from the doc

pcie 3 and 4

HOST INTERFACE FEATURES PCI Express 3.0/4.0 x16, x8

Yeah, that's the only place that confirms it, can't buy it yet and they probably won't release it till their server market supports PCIE 4.0

"At least 12 new Intel CPUs could be inbound under the Comet Lake-S banner and while they still sport a 14nm manufacturing process, the addition of Hyper-threading means each could pack a much bigger punch and help Intel hold ground against AMD in 2020."

Does Comet Lake-S sport a 'fixed' implementation of Hyper-Threading that lacks the many vulnerabilities that prompt the enterprise world to switch off the feature by default?

Does Comet Lake-S sport a 'fixed' implementation of Hyper-Threading that lacks the many vulnerabilities that prompt the enterprise world to switch off the feature by default?

Intel had already applied fixes in hardware to later Coffee Lake releases (or those based on Coffee Lake). The fixes aren't hard.

Great plan Intel, you win in watts consumed. Again.
I think this is worse than Intel just taking the "L".

Intel will respond correctly when it can, but to take the bulldozer route is nuts. It causes more damage to the brand name than it otherwise would.

Intel will have a response in under a year. It's not that long of a wait.

Pcie 3 is holding up SSD performance
Depends on the workload. Modern NVMe SSDs still struggle to exceed 50 MB/s in 4k random I/O at QD1, which is probably the most important metric for general-use desktop performance.

Edit: Intel Optane is a notable exception. Optane drives can reach in excess of 400 MB/s in 4k random I/O at QD1. Still doesn't come close to saturating PCIe 3.0, but it's a start.

upload_2020-1-13_16-0-4.png

Sequential throughput isn't everything, there's TONS of room for improvement on every metric of performance (with the exception of sequential speed) on PCIe 3.0.

Last edited:
Well a overclocked 4.8Ghz all core on the 10980XE vs Ryzen 9 3950x Intel wins in pretty much all the tests and benchmarks they are ahead and especially in gaming. The Ryzen core or IPC or Mhz call lit what you want are much more then AMD's, as AMD designed the CPU in a way it would need or justify a overclock. You might get 200Mhz over the turbo frequency. So were looking at max 4.3Ghz all core vs Intels 4.8Ghz all core. I will take the Intel which is what I plan on doing once the 10980XE comes out.
A 10980XE is at least $230 more than a 3950X. Good luck on your overclock "all-core". You're probably going to get closer to 4.6GHz on an AIO and 4.8GHz will probably need a custom loop. Add that in.. $$$

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Intel's 7nm is scheduled to be up by the end of the year. We won't really see anything GPU or CPU wise until then.
They still need new CPU Architecture and it actually wont be ready until 2021 earliest. So NEXT YEAR.

Last edited:
Intel had already applied fixes in hardware to later Coffee Lake releases (or those based on Coffee Lake). The fixes aren't hard.
cheers, just not quite sure counts as coffee lake (or derivative) in consumer market as a consequence of Intel's non-stop rehashing of the skylake uarch...

cheers, just not quite sure counts as coffee lake (or derivative) in consumer market as a consequence of Intel's non-stop rehashing of the skylake uarch...

Well, if it's not Ice Lake, it's some derivative of Skylake in the end. Coffee Lake was just the first revision of Skylake that Intel started doing hardware tweaks to address vulnerabilities, though the CPUs coming that will essentially be back-ported Ice Lake cores on 14nm should actually not need mitigations running in software.

Well, if it's not Ice Lake, it's some derivative of Skylake in the end. Coffee Lake was just the first revision of Skylake that Intel started doing hardware tweaks to address vulnerabilities, though the CPUs coming that will essentially be back-ported Ice Lake cores on 14nm should actually not need mitigations running in software.

Not until Rocket Lake in 2021 or whenever they get around to it. Comet Lake is still Skylake based.

Yes, but Intel has been putting hardware tweaks into newer Skylake- based processors.
You would think after lagging behind AMD they would be prepared with something better than 7nm.

Its of course insanely difficult but Intel HAS to have been working on this for over a decade. No way were still stuck at this level.

Instinctively, when you look at the space program there is better technology being used there, maybe it's just hush hush. We're already at 8k in video with no pc power to take advantage of it.

There's lots of opportunity in the cpu / gpu realm.

Technology really should have gotten there already. I

Are these going to pack the same incremental 3-5% IPC improvements in certain situations? Can't wait for TDP's.

Are these going to pack the same incremental 3-5% IPC improvements in certain situations? Can't wait for TDP's.

Until Intel gets to 7nm we won't see much to write home about. Since cpu doesn't really matter at 4k so much gaming is plateaud and awaiting new videocards to move the market ahead. Intel will eventually get back to the top, it may take a few years, as the fruits of labor typically don't yeild results for like 5 years in the silicon market. If only gaming and more programs could use every core availalbe, that would make ipc irrelevant.

Until Intel gets to 7nm we won't see much to write home about. Since cpu doesn't really matter at 4k so much gaming is plateaud and awaiting new videocards to move the market ahead. Intel will eventually get back to the top, it may take a few years, as the fruits of labor typically don't yeild results for like 5 years in the silicon market. If only gaming and more programs could use every core availalbe, that would make ipc irrelevant.
Or they won’t catch up and this will continue to be hilarious.

I wonder if there are enough enthusiasts online to justify producing the next top-end CRT...
Or they won’t catch up and this will continue to be hilarious.

...untill we start paying the original Athlon price gauges again from the early 2000s when Intel was getting smacked around a bit by AMD. The tides may turn, either way, the consumer doesn't win anymore. Just look at the AMD/Nvidia pricing - 30% over historical with no end in sight.

...untill we start paying the original Athlon price gauges again from the early 2000s when Intel was getting smacked around a bit by AMD. The tides may turn, either way, the consumer doesn't win anymore. Just look at the AMD/Nvidia pricing - 30% over historical with no end in sight.
Yes, pricing is becoming outrageous.

Not really. 3700x is a great price. 3900X and 3950x for what you get is a great price...
When you get to extreme ends (TR etc) then yeah fair, but that's a high end/halo product and that's pretty normal. Like a titan..

I remember paying over a 1200 dollars US for a motherboard and 2 Celeron 300As (guaranteed to run at 466MHz in dual mode) with slotkets. And that was when I was poor.

I think prices are great for the 3700X and 39XX CPUs

Last edited:
People forget how expensive things used to be back in the P2/P3 days, or when you had to buy your P4 with rambus memory as a package deal.

It is funny. I always had to buy low end CPU's and try to OC them because I did not have enough extra cash to pay for the top end ones. Now I run a R9 3900X just because I can and it was fairly inexpensive. Times have changed.

Not really. 3700x is a great price. 3900X and 3950x for what you get is a great price...
When you get to extreme ends (TR etc) then yeah fair, but that's a high end/halo product and that's pretty normal. Like a titan..
Was talking about the high end. No competition for NVIDIA so their cards are nuts and no competition for AMD so their CPUs are nuts. This is why competition is important ... it causes competitive pricing.

It is funny. I always had to buy low end CPU's and try to OC them because I did not have enough extra cash to pay for the top end ones. Now I run a R9 3900X just because I can and it was fairly inexpensive. Times have changed.
Overclocking is not what it used to be. Now the chips are made to OC themselves. Intel and AMD got wise to the value of pushing your chip, so they designed in the feature. Gone are the days of picking up a budget chip and getting top tear performance with an OC, nothing has the headroom.

Well.. i am just glad Intel has some damn competition, just to move the ball forward and drop some prices.

Reactions: kac77
like this
Coming from a i7-7700K thats been rock solid at 5ghz for a couple years now, is this going to be "the" processor(s) to get for single threaded performance in 2020? I'm excited to bump my 24/7 speed up 300-500mhz to get more FPS. Most of the games I play are unoptomized (like VR DCS world, or escape from tarkov) and really benefit from as much single core power I can throw at them.

Intel Core i9-10900K with max boost 5.3 GHz - wondering if this will have any overclocking headroom?
Intel Core i7-10700K with max boost 5.0GHz - will this clock just as high as a i9-10900K but with less cores, or has intel locked us into buying more cores (that we dont need) if we want the highest frequency possible?

Coming from a i7-7700K thats been rock solid at 5ghz for a couple years now, is this going to be "the" processor(s) to get for single threaded performance in 2020? I'm excited to bump my 24/7 speed up 300-500mhz to get more FPS. Most of the games I play are unoptomized (like VR DCS world, or escape from tarkov) and really benefit from as much single core power I can throw at them.

Intel Core i9-10900K with max boost 5.3 GHz - wondering if this will have any overclocking headroom?
Intel Core i7-10700K with max boost 5.0GHz - will this clock just as high as a i9-10900K but with less cores, or has intel locked us into buying more cores (that we dont need) if we want the highest frequency possible?
No reason to sidegrade.

How is it a sidegrade? I'm just trying to squeeze a few more FPS out of my cpu bound games and from what I can see reviews are saying even an "old" 9900k would do that for me.
Upon further digging, it seems like the sidegrade would be going from a 9900k to a 10700k.

That said the article in this post said the i9-10900K could hit 5.3 stock, which is what intrigued me. That would be higher than any 9900k I'd get probably, and make the upgrade even more worthwhile.

I'm so confused. Intel to battle now... or Intel to play catch up later with 5nm? It's like watching a Democratic debate on TV.

This is why people vote AMD.

Back