Intel Plans To Battle AMD Ryzen 4000 In 2020 With Mass of Hyper-Threaded Processors Including 5.3GHz

If Intel can out pace AMD's 7nm with their 14nm...as Nvidia has kept AMD in the dust with theirs then 7nm would be a big yawn, for now. CPU and GPU wise.

Is this even news ? Hyperthreading exists since Pentium IV at Intel, since Zen at AMD. The guys at Forbes are very scared about their stocks at Intel. Maybe they'll like some raise before they sell.
Intel has a double problem with 14nm. They can't make their 10nm so they are lying for about 5 years that it's ready next year, next quarter and now, next months. Nobody believes them anymore. Intel 10nm is dead ! It's for Atom and low core lapptop CPU because Intel can't handle bigger dies without power problems and huge yield drops.
And what about 7nm : no news. They say it's working but we have no evidence. It looks again like 10nm.
The big problems Intel has with 14nm is that to keep up with AMD and with their Core architecture, they have to make huge dies of silicon. Those are going to cost a lot and also they may have not so great yields, and also they may have a huge TDP (big consumption). They already announce 127W TDP and Intel is used like AMD to provide lower figures than heavy use that would go around 4/3 of that number. The mainboards have to support it and you need a big cooler. This is not so great. And watch what they're doing : they make a 10 core as their ultimate Desktop CPU vs 16 cores for AMD and Skylake architecture (which is Comet Lake too) is like behind of about 7% on IPC vs AMD. So they don't make anything there against the Ryzen 3950 but would like to sell it at the same price. Mind that the 3950 has also a bunch of more features you only get on Xeon plateform at Intel, like ECC support.
But Forbes is talking about going vs Zen 3... hah ha big laughs. AMD, who didn't lie for some time now, says their first test chip, not the finals on Zen 3, have already around 10% better IPC than Zen 2 and run around 200 to 300 Mhz faster. They eventually say may add a bunch of more cores. That's really very bad news for Comet Lake since it cannot hold against Zen 2.
But the second big problem for Intel is that they built just enough Fabs to cope with 4 core CPU on 14nm. So the result is not only that they have to forget about some Fabs they are converting to 10 or 7nm, but also to make 6/8/10 core CPU that are those they can sell now against AMD, on limited capacity they made for 2/4 cores. It's like they need to sell the same amount or even more CPU with 1/3 the capacity to make them.
TSMC doesn't look to have the same problems for manufacturing and is investing tens of billions in new facilities, while Intel is investing in buying it's stoks to keep their value.
I'm very sad Intel won't keep up with AMD in 2020, 2021 and probably till 2025, because AMD has now full potential to raise their CPU price, and Intel seems not to be willing to drop their.
Very sad for Intel, loosing it's market share and for me to have to pay a lot for my future AMD CPUs to replace all my deprecated Intel PCs. Sorry Intel, I have to keep up with my competitors !

Last edited:
What's funny here is it looks like Intel is getting desperate and will be enabling SMT on even their i3 and i5 CPUs. What a slap in the face for Customers who purchased Coffee Lake.
Looking at that lineup with the highest core count of only 10 for the i9 combined with the supposed price points not dropping, I think this will be too little too late. 2020 will be an interesting year nonetheless.

I'm very sad Intel won't keep up with AMD in 2020, 2021 and probably till 2025, because AMD has now full potential to raise their CPU price, and Intel seems not to be willing to drop their.
Very sad for Intel, loosing it's market share and for me to have to pay a lot for my future AMD CPUs to replace all my deprecated Intel PCs.

Don't be sad, every time AMD launches a new gen, the previous one will have a 75% price drop :)

Don't be sad, every time AMD launches a new gen, the previous one will have a 75% price drop :)

75% is a little extreme. 50% is more realistic depending on which chip you buy. A 2600 for example was $199 and now is usually $99 on a super sale or $119 normal pricing. The 2700X was $329 and is now ~$159. 2700 was $299 and is $149. All of which represent fantastic bang for the buck.

1st gen Ryzen might be around 75% (or more seeing as the 1800x was a $499 launch price part). But I would have a hard time recommending them since the 2XXX series has much better memory compatibility.

Intel is doing their best to put a happy face on while staring at process trouble. Is what it is. However, Intel isn't out and won't be for a long time. Enjoy your AMD processors while they are ahead. It's what I did during the Athlon years and I'm doing now with Ryzen. I'll jump back to Intel when they take the lead again. It's how every enthusiast should be looking at things.

75% is a little extreme. 50% is more realistic depending on which chip you buy. A 2600 for example was $199 and now is usually $99 on a super sale or $119 normal pricing. The 2700X was $329 and is now ~$159. 2700 was $299 and is $149. All of which represent fantastic bang for the buck.

1st gen Ryzen might be around 75% (or more seeing as the 1800x was a $499 launch price part). But I would have a hard time recommending them since the 2XXX series has much better memory compatibility.

I was dramatizing a bit. But with the game and XGP 3 month free deal I think my 2700 comes close to 75% off.

Meh, not impressed with Intel's upcoming lineup. Seems a little too late and still stuck on 14nm which makes it more unattractive and unappealing. 10 cores maximum is pretty disappointing as well.

So Intel is going to have HT on their cpu's? You mean like they have had for a long time, same with AMD?
I am not sure what they are smoking at Intel, but they might want to stop.
If they can get 5.3ghz + all cores, then maybe it would be a little better.

Honestly, the best part of this launch is the product segmentation. I feel like Intel finally got it right.

Celeron - 2C/2T
Pentium - 2C/4T
i3 - 4C/8T
i5 - 6C/12T
i7 - 8C/16T
i9 - 10C/20T

Unfortunately, it took them 10 generations and a swift kick from the competition to do that.

Honestly, the best part of this launch is the product segmentation. I feel like Intel finally got it right.

Celeron - 2C/2T
Pentium - 2C/4T
i3 - 4C/8T
i5 - 6C/12T
i7 - 8C/16T
i9 - 10C/20T

Unfortunately, it took them 10 generations and a swift kick from the competition to do that.

It really took AMD to get them there - dragging Intel, kicking and screaming the whole way.

You can't call it "new" when it's the same CPU they made when Harry Truman was sworn in as president.

The 10980XE isn't even out yet and already they have a new CPU 33 percent faster then a 9900k .... So you buy a new CPU that is not even out yet and were already talking about a 33 percent boost in their next series of chips. What a joke. So is 10980XE going to be released same day as well. Intel is a joke I wish they eat it in the ass for their boolshit ways.

Just gonna leave this here for any Intel execs to read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Also hire me

Intel is doing their best to put a happy face on while staring at process trouble. Is what it is. However, Intel isn't out and won't be for a long time. Enjoy your AMD processors while they are ahead. It's what I did during the Athlon years and I'm doing now with Ryzen. I'll jump back to Intel when they take the lead again. It's how every enthusiast should be looking at things.

This is the proper attitude. Waving flags and bashing manufacturers is super lame. This cat and mouse game has been going on for decades, it’s not like this is the first time. Right now I roll with Intel, but I have been with AMD in the past a few times, and right now I’m waiting to see what Intel will do. I almost bought Ryzen a few times already. I really hate the pins.

You know you say that, but I've had much more problem with socket pins than CPU pins ever since LGA was launched.

Yeah I have that with my X58, mostly B channels. I'm not gonna lie I want to stomp the shit out of it some days when it gets cranky. 10 years of a bit of an underlying hatred. I had an x2 5600 that I slowly killed. I dropped it once and folded 7 pins over, got em straight then did it again later.. I ended up breaking off 5, but she still ran, but with single channel. Then I later forgot to warm up the cpu before pulling the sink and tore it out. I don't recall what the damage was, maybe folded pins, I don't recall I just threw the system away after that. I folded some 939 pins too, lost one but seemed fine, on a Toledo 4400. I don't have the deftest touch.

Used Intel my whole life since Amiga days (except for late 90s early 2000 when I briefly switched to AMD). Now it's finally time to replace my 4790k and it looks like I will be moving to Zen 3 once it's out. It will be also nice to future proof with PCIe 4.0 support. Can't believe Intel blew it so bad. At least this is great for consumers. Will be very interesting to watch what develops over next few years.

Used Intel my whole life since Amiga days (except for late 90s early 2000 when I briefly switched to AMD). Now it's finally time to replace my 4790k and it looks like I will be moving to Zen 3 once it's out. It will be also nice to future proof with PCIe 4.0 support. Can't believe Intel blew it so bad. At least this is great for consumers. Will be very interesting to watch what develops over next few years.
I'm in the same boat. My 4770k is working just fine.

I'm in the same boat. My 4770k is working just fine.

I have been very happy with my 4790K for almost 6 years now. It feeds my 1080 Ti well in most cases, however, looking at benchmarks (even high res benchmarks) it may be becoming a bottleneck in certain instances especially in light of the fact that I will be upgrading to Ampere Ti once its out in 2020. I belive it may become more of a bottleneck with Ampere Ti. Really wanted to stick with Intel, but its getting harder to ignore AMD especially if Zen 3 rumors are true.

I have been very happy with my 4790K for almost 6 years now. It feeds my 1080 Ti well in most cases, however, looking at benchmarks (even high res benchmarks) it may be becoming a bottleneck in certain instances especially in light of the fact that I will be upgrading to Ampere Ti once its out in 2020. I belive it may become more of a bottleneck with Ampere Ti. Really wanted to stick with Intel, but its getting harder to ignore AMD especially if Zen 3 rumors are true.

If all you do is game for the most part then Intel isn't bad. Today's 8c processors from both companies are just fine to game with.

If all you do is game for the most part then Intel isn't bad. Today's 8c processors from both companies are just fine to game with.

True, but I also want to somewhat futureproof with PCIe 4.0 (as I typically dont update CPUs / mobos often). May want an option to play with Maya or Cinema 4d or video editing. So as much as I would like to stick with Intel Zen 3 may seem like a smarter option.

Reactions: noko
like this
Gaming on Linux.

Seems to run most stuff > 60hz on my 144hz monitor...

Intel: Hyperthreading has been around since 2002 and is not going to save you. Try something innovative.

Intel appears to be enabling Hyperthreading on lower end CPU's like the Core i3 and Core i5. CPU's which have traditionally had HT disabled.

If I read it right, he said "next gen", not last gen.

I didn't misread -- PCIe 2.0 speeds for SSDs still exceed what is actually useful on the desktop, and PCIe 3.0 still isn't fully utilized by GPUs.

PCIe 4.0 is fairly useless, outside of being more expensive and a nice bullet point.

You were making a statement that PCIe 4 will not bring any benefit to next gen ssd market in the future. That is a pretty bold statement to make.

It's actually very logical.

PCIe 3.0 is barely used over PCIe 2.0, thus, PCIe 4.0 will be even less used over PCIe 3.0.

It's actually very logical.

PCIe 3.0 is barely used over PCIe 2.0, thus, PCIe 4.0 will be even less used over PCIe 3.0.

From Anandtech:

Samsung is now talking about three major improvements they bring over earlier SSDs in addition to the raw performance increases enabled by PCIe 4.0.

Link: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1488...rprise-ssds-get-reliability-performance-boost

Given this, how will SSD market look in few years? Sorry I am not smart enough to follow your logic.....

Also:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-has-pcie-40-optane-ssds-ready-but-nothing-to-plug-them-in-to

Now you see why I would like PCIe 4 to plug these into?

Last edited:
Back