Intel Plans To Battle AMD Ryzen 4000 In 2020 With Mass of Hyper-Threaded Processors Including 5.3GHz

Instead, I'll gimp along for a few months and then buy another Ryzen, an AMD mobo, and some replacement RAM. It'll cost about $800+, but at least I'll know that I'll have longer compatibility should another issue arise.

At least wait for the ryzen 4000 series as they might require a new motherboard seeing AMD already had trouble getting the 3000 series to work on the older AM4 boards. While I like what AMD does with supporting their sockets/motherboards for a long time, it also makes their lives a lot harder when introducing new stuff and fragments their user base like now with PCIe 4

Reactions: c3k
like this
I am wondering the same thing. I see no where in any benches where the 9900KS beats the 3900X, even when at 5.1Ghz.
I'm going to say this, and while I do mean it, understand that it's not unique to Intel:

You can't benchmark user experience.

There are plenty of reasons for this, but the main one is that benchmarks are themselves generalized, and user experience is both a product of individual variables that may not be reproducible, but also variance in the users themselves.

Additionally, this has been borne out a number of times in the computer enthusiast world, with a prime example being frametime testing. I don't think that frametimes variances are likely to be an issue in this case, but they an example of something that simply wasn't tested for until it became clear that the testing was needed.

Bear with me for a moment...(see sig)

So, I had an i7-4790k/z87(?) combo. It seemed a little long in the tooth, so this past week I replaced it with a Ryzen 7 3700x/X570. Yeah, it kicks ass. (Hey, the 4790k will most likely be used elsewhere: it's still a relevant cpu/mobo combo.)

Now, as background, one of my other rigs has been giving me fits lately. The i7-6700k/z170 internet downloads has been bogged. I've tried a LOT of troubleshooting. (It has two intel NICs.) I've downloaded new drivers: no benefit; I pulled out every drive, put in a new NVMe M2 drive and put a fresh Win10 install and that didn't help. I bought a NIC card and used that and that hasn't helped. To sum, I've tried a fresh OS on a fresh drive, a new network connection, and other attempts. It seems the motherboard has an issue...

Okay...a 6th generation intel cpu needs a motherboard. Yeah, try to find one. Intel supports 6th generation cpus with z170 and z270 chipsets. I'm seeing crazy high prices. If I want to preserve my 64GB of ram, I can buy an 8th/9th generation motherboard, but that means I'd also have to buy an 8th/9th generation cpu. That drives my motherboard swap up to ~$500.

My goal is to swap the motherboard to fix the download issue. But due to the planned obsolescence of intel's motherboards, I'm being jammed. This should be a $150-200 issue.

Why am I posting this here?

Because there is NO FRIGGIN' WAY I'm going to buy another intel processor after beating my head against the wall with this. Sure, talk about 5.2 GHz. Whatever.

Instead, I'll gimp along for a few months and then buy another Ryzen, an AMD mobo, and some replacement RAM. It'll cost about $800+, but at least I'll know that I'll have longer compatibility should another issue arise.

Intel, your choice to make motherboards go EOL with each cpu generation has finally bitten me on the a**. Now I understand why folks have griped about this.

Similar experience to me in the DDR4 price gouging era. PC died (CPU and Mobo) and only had DDR3 ram. Ruled out a zen build, so went with another 2600k/mobo and man they are expensive as hell but it was still much less than a ddr4 build for Zen at the time because of the ram price.
Basically intel mobos are more scarce than CPUs.

At least wait for the ryzen 4000 series as they might require a new motherboard seeing AMD already had trouble getting the 3000 series to work on the older AM4 boards. While I like what AMD does with supporting their sockets/motherboards for a long time, it also makes their lives a lot harder when introducing new stuff and fragments their user base like now with PCIe 4

I think they've gotten smarter about it after the first gen. The "compatibility" was more about not having a large enough bios ROM for all the CPU's that the board could theoretically handle. Hence, they had to slim down the "features" of the bios to get CPU compatibility. I see no reason why you couldn't get a X570 board now and have a good experience for the rest of AM4's lifespan. I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up a X370 board at this point, but I wouldn't NOT use if I got it for a good price. Especially a higher end one.

PCIe 4 is overrated unless you are doing something that requires the extra read/write speeds on higher end NVMe drives. If you don't know that you need it, you probably don't. Other than that, I don't see very much fragmentation. The fact that you can drop in a Zen 2 (and likely a Zen 3) CPU into a board that's 3 years old is a pretty nice feature that Intel doesn't match.

Back