Intel Pentium D 965 Extreme Ed. 3.73ghz

Your better off getting an E8400 and overclocking it a bit. Will beat it clock for clock.

A Core 2 Duo is/was roughly twice as fast clock for clock as a Pentium D.

You can extrapolate the level of performance you'd get that way.

A 1.8 Ghz or maybe 1.9 ghz Core 2 Duo will be on par performance wise with the Pentium D 3.73.

The power usage and heat, however, make it a bad idea to use daily.

EDIT: To put it in perspective, we are on the third generation of CPUs by Intel after the Core 2 Duo was discontinued.

Your better off getting an E8400 and overclocking it a bit. Will beat it clock for clock.

Well im quite aware of the E8400 as its one of best out the series we had with core2duos.

im getting this chip just for $30 pulled out from a system and its not overclocked till now. was hoping to squeeze some juice out of it :p

A Core 2 Duo is/was roughly twice as fast clock for clock as a Pentium D.

You can extrapolate the level of performance you'd get that way.

A 1.8 Ghz or maybe 1.9 ghz Core 2 Duo will be on par performance wise with the Pentium D 3.73.

The power usage and heat, however, make it a bad idea to use daily.

EDIT: To put it in perspective, we are on the third generation of CPUs by Intel after the Core 2 Duo was discontinued.

actually it does not par performance with core2duo 1.8 nor with 1.9. In many cases iv seen pentium d 3.4ghz 940 beating these two especially in fps in different games with the same hardware. For as with the heating issue i have to make a way out with it either with lapping or with a good HSF.

I'd overclock Core 2 Duo or AMD hardware if the budget is low. PD (NOT Pentium Dual Cores based on C2D/ix) is a waste of money.

actually it does not par performance with core2duo 1.8 nor with 1.9. In many cases iv seen pentium d 3.4ghz 940 beating these two especially in fps in different games with the same hardware. For as with the heating issue i have to make a way out with it either with lapping or with a good HSF.

Still won't do you much good, in this case: The Pentium D is now way outdated, is very inefficient (it will consume more power than later CPUs), and may not be properly supported by the forthcoming Windows 8 (heck, some chipsets that support the Pentium D are not properly supported by even the current Windows 7 SP1). Plus, the Intel 3-series and later chipsets do not officially support any of the NetBurst CPUs such as the Pentium D.

PFFT, stop listening to these haters. Just get a EP45-UD3P and water cool it. Then make them eat their words at 5+ ghz.

PS: I'm kidding. Even at 5ghz, it will get trounced by a Core 2 Duo at 2.5ghz.

I had a P4 950 that would do 4.2GHz.....my advice, don't bother unless its free, you have time to tinker and in the end it will still be slow.

Well im quite aware of the E8400 as its one of best out the series we had with core2duos.

im getting this chip just for $30 pulled out from a system and its not overclocked till now. was hoping to squeeze some juice out of it :p

i think i saw an E8400 on here for $45.. you are so much better off with that

Heck I remember reading some benchmarks placing the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 over the Intel Pentium® D 965 Extreme Edition in 16 out of 20 benchmarks way back when. I would pick up any of the Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Core 2 Quads over any of the older Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Pentium D processors.

$30 for that chip is extremely expensive. The question is, would I take it for free? Wasn't that chip priced at $1k?

i think i saw an E8400 on here for $45.. you are so much better off with that

im not familiar with the price with most e8400 but if it is then so much cheaper i guess i'll leave this old chip deal behind.

Heck I remember reading some benchmarks placing the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 over the Intel Pentium® D 965 Extreme Edition in 16 out of 20 benchmarks way back when. I would pick up any of the Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Core 2 Quads over any of the older Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Pentium D processors.

tried the chip today. nothing impressive for now. its not worth it. i guess you people are right

Thanks

$30 for that chip is extremely expensive. The question is, would I take it for free? Wasn't that chip priced at $1k?

lol there was a time for it when it use to have the $1k price tag but as ever the old gets nothing after when something new replaces it better and cheaper

I agree, $30 is $30 more than anyone should spend on that CPU. Is it replacing another system?

Regardless, the heat dissipation, power consumption, and general inefficiency compared to current processors would be a waste. Even if by some miracle you could get it to 6GHz, any Core2 at 3GHz would still spank it.

I agree, $30 is $30 more than anyone should spend on that CPU. Is it replacing another system?

Regardless, the heat dissipation, power consumption, and general inefficiency compared to current processors would be a waste. Even if by some miracle you could get it to 6GHz, any Core2 at 3GHz would still spank it.

agree i guess i have to leave it behind

Why buy a used dual core anyway? Grab a core 2 quad over that POS pentium D.

Also have to back up what others have said, the pentium D architecture is garbage compared to the core 2.

Not exactly a direct comparison but it should give you an idea.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/93?vs=55

The core 2 architecture will slaughter that chip in gaming. The only thing that made those old super overclocking pentiums worth buying was encoding boxes on the cheap. Back then the 820 in particular was so fucking cheap it was ridiculous, i knew 2 people that bought them and hit 4 GHz just for encoding boxes/servers.

Last edited:
Ya $30 is way too high for that chip if you are wanting to get use out of it. You can get a Intel Celeron G530 which is a dual core Sandy Bridge at 2.4ghz that would destroy that thing for $50 brand new on Newegg. You could probably find a dirt cheap core2duo for $30 used fairly easy.

Why buy a used dual core anyway? Grab a core 2 quad over that POS pentium D.

Also have to back up what others have said, the pentium D architecture is garbage compared to the core 2.

Not exactly a direct comparison but it should give you an idea.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/93?vs=55

The core 2 architecture will slaughter that chip in gaming. The only thing that made those old super overclocking pentiums worth buying was encoding boxes on the cheap. Back then the 820 in particular was so fucking cheap it was ridiculous, i knew 2 people that bought them and hit 4 GHz just for encoding boxes/servers.

the price difference is huge even i buy it used. Im thinking of getting the 1st gen of core i series as if they are cheap nowerdays NO ??

The anandtech link was actually the spark bulb for me.
TNX

P.S. lol i still have a pentium d 820 2.8ghz/2mb/800 works the same as pentium 4 ht 530 3.0ghz as in over all. not a bad chip if used for backups(OC) only though very outdated nowerdays.

Ya $30 is way too high for that chip if you are wanting to get use out of it. You can get a Intel Celeron G530 which is a dual core Sandy Bridge at 2.4ghz that would destroy that thing for $50 brand new on Newegg. You could probably find a dirt cheap core2duo for $30 used fairly easy.

What about the 1st gen of core I series? i guess they might be cheap nowerdays considering the descendent. im kicking out the idea of using the old dualcore quadcore technology

Sorry I missed this. I just retired my presler 955 rig @4.3ghz. It did fine in win7 for general usage....but that's it. I played half of metro2033 on it with a 560ti.... And it was pretty damn slow :-P

What about the 1st gen of core I series? i guess they might be cheap nowerdays considering the descendent. im kicking out the idea of using the old dualcore quadcore technology

Not sure on like the i7 920s and the first wave of i5 Lynnfields, really haven't seen that many people selling them myself. It's might be hard to find steals on them considering they are still pretty impressive and above anything from AMD IPC wise so they are probably still holding their value.

Not sure on like the i7 920s and the first wave of i5 Lynnfields, really haven't seen that many people selling them myself. It's might be hard to find steals on them considering they are still pretty impressive and above anything from AMD IPC wise so they are probably still holding their value.

Yeah those are still a bit hard to come by used and most of the time when you see them for sale they are either priced so high its not worth it or are gone super fast. 775 is the sweet spot for a real budget gamer.

For historical reasons, I'dd buy the chip, but I'm a collector. I have an old 486 dx2 simply because it's a historical chip. It's slow as hell, but it was one of the first CPUs that featured clock doubling. I'd snatch up that chip simply because extreme edition chips are rare and historical.

Sorry I missed this. I just retired my presler 955 rig @4.3ghz. It did fine in win7 for general usage....but that's it. I played half of metro2033 on it with a 560ti.... And it was pretty damn slow :-P

G :/ thats hell of a bottle neck using such a cpu over a card that needs performance breaker cpu.

i had this deal here on this forum a guy selling his i5 lynnfield for $100 chip only. i dont it was a good deal or not. But iv this too the ones having 1st wave of these did planned to switch to sandy bridge.

Yeah those are still a bit hard to come by used and most of the time when you see them for sale they are either priced so high its not worth it or are gone super fast. 775 is the sweet spot for a real budget gamer.

but dont you think lga775 is pretty old now?

For historical reasons, I'dd buy the chip, but I'm a collector. I have an old 486 dx2 simply because it's a historical chip. It's slow as hell, but it was one of the first CPUs that featured clock doubling. I'd snatch up that chip simply because extreme edition chips are rare and historical.

for a collector its worth but i see no catch in buying the cpu. my frnd was selling this extreme ed. cpu he kept it for nothing as it came out of his HP old workstation. if you are interested let me know i'll see if he still has it.

First of all... I'm sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I had to set the record straight here, 4 months later...

I don't know what you've seen as far as witnessing a Pentium D beating a Core 2 Duo - here, as also linked above from another poster, is Anandtech's review.

You can look at both productivity benchmarks and gaming benchmarks, and the Core 2 Duo E6300, running at 1.86 Ghz is always ahead of the Pentium D 960 running at 3.6 Ghz, almost at 200% of the E6300 speed. Thus, what I originally stated, which was that the C2Ds are roughly twice as fast clock for clock over the Pentium Ds, is indeed correct.

I tried to build a gaming rig out of the scrap room at my work. i put together a pentium D 965, overclocked it a bit on an asrock board. 2gb of ram and a 5850 video card. it was fing terrible, some games were barely playable. Pentium d machines are fine for surfing the web, but they just about choke just streaming youtube videos. I wouldnt pay more then $5 for one of these cpus and then only to use it for target practce.

For reference only, from passmark public website

1. 65nm 65-watt Pentium E2200 2.40GHz average-score-1305
2. 65nm 130-watt Pentium D 3.73GHz average-score-1280
3. 32nm 17-watt Celeron 867 1.3GHz average-score-1271

A. If you have ideal software/hardware scenario, practical performance will be close. wattage will differ.
B. However, in practice, many older OEM boxes have aggressive BIOS/firmware/OS settings to throttle, or else transition power-state behavior of Pentium D 3.73GHz to minimize potential heat/wattage issue. This is also pertinent because many old P4 OEM boxes come with 200-300watt normal PSU back then.

Additional : However, if your software scenario has minimal CPU demand, then it will be governed mostly by idle wattage. In common scenario, the entire motherboard power consumption will have more prominet role. For example, using netburst-machines for low-demand duties (gateways for a few users, it will stay idle or lowest cpu speed/voltage most of the time.) it will still have higher overall power consumption, but maybe at a level acceptable to some.

Last edited:
Back