Intel Patches Causing Big Reboot Issues Confirmed

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
As we reported back on January 12th, there were widespread reports of Intel's Meltdown and Spectre patches causing spontaneous reboots on systems. (I think we have dealt with the issue here once in the past week.) Now Intel is suggesting that you NOT roll out those patches as those seem to be causing more problems than good at this time.

Root Cause of Reboot Issue Identified; Updated Guidance for Customers and Partners

We recommend that OEMs, cloud service providers, system manufacturers, software vendors and end users stop deployment of current versions, as they may introduce higher than expected reboots and other unpredictable system behavior. For the full list of platforms, see the Intel.com Security Center site.

And since Intel can't run the proper testing due to all their systems rebooting, they are asking for partner help. Maybe they could run those on AMD EPYC servers? Oh, nevermind.

We ask that our industry partners focus efforts on testing early versions of the updated solution so we can accelerate its release. We expect to share more details on timing later this week.

We've confirmed the issue exists in our VMWare environment. We've not deployed the patches until further testing or a new patch comes out. We can't have our production servers rebooting randomly.

Intel Inside

upload_2018-1-22_13-27-39.png

Intel shit the bed and is now rolling in it. If there was any sort of real competition in the processor/chipset space they'd have probably gone under by now. Of course, if there was any sort of real competition in the processor/chipset space this wouldn't be a huge deal because 3/4 of the worlds servers wouldn't all be running Intel processors and chipsets.

Intel shit the bed and is now rolling in it. If there was any sort of real competition in the processor/chipset space they'd have probably gone under by now. Of course, if there was any sort of real competition in the processor/chipset space this wouldn't be a huge deal because 3/4 of the worlds servers wouldn't all be running Intel processors and chipsets.

There is competition... it just took a while to show up. I have a feeling this is gonna cause a bit of a market shift, how much is unknown, but I know myself and a lot of people are pissed at Intel right now. Couldn't even imagine if I was running a datacenter full of failing rebooting machines with security holes.

So this explains why I have to switch off my PC now....

Maybe it also explains why my boot device is no longer recognized immediately on boot? I have to select my NVME boot device manually every time now. (Could be me deciding it was a great time to overclock my machine to the brink...)

How is this level of inompetence possible? You roll out faulty patches for a gigantic fuckup, thereby creating another gigantic fuckup?

How is this level of inompetence possible? You roll out faulty patches for a gigantic fuckup, thereby creating another gigantic fuckup?

I can basically bet that it's from the disconnect between management and engineering. Management probably told them you have to have this out by X day no matter what, so they put out what they could. Intel seems to be one of those companies that doesn't move very quickly, so I doubt there is any way they could have done their normal testing process in the amount of time they were given.

There is competition... it just took a while to show up. I have a feeling this is gonna cause a bit of a market shift, how much is unknown, but I know myself and a lot of people are pissed at Intel right now. Couldn't even imagine if I was running a datacenter full of failing rebooting machines with security holes.

Yes, there's some competition now. But the past 20 years when everybody was filling up on Intel products that's lead to where we are now? I hope this does indeed create an opening for some enterprising new companies to jump into the market. It's a heck of a lot easier to replace or fix ~20% of the hardware in production than 75%.

I see this as the biggest insult. A giant "fuck you, deal with our shit on your own".

It's more of a "we need to get this out quick so help us by being beta testers and report back what happens". That attitude works well sometimes but not always and the longer this goes on, I can see fewer and fewer out there wanting to play guinea pig.

<============== Hugs his Ryzen 7 1800X.

I'm not surprised at what Intel is doing. All they care is about relieving you of your money, Screw giving you proper support, and security. It's all about the all mighty dollar for them.

I've ben anit-Intel since back in the Athlon days when Intel was using ILLEGAL business practices to keep AMD from gaining market share.

Screw those bottom feeding, scum sucking weasels at Intel.

I'm glad my i5-4670k gaming machine is 100 percent off grid, has never seen the internets since its first boot.

I'm glad my i5-4670k gaming machine is 100 percent off grid, has never seen the internets since its first boot.

How do you put new games on it? Unless it's purely for emulation, in which case...I feel ya bro.

How do you put new games on it? Unless it's purely for emulation, in which case...I feel ya bro.

Can you transfer steam games via USB? Like put it on a stick?

Could always download *GASP* (dirty word) games lol.

intel's gonna need a total recall to fix this issue.

boy that's gonna hurt.

Recall to what? Iirc, they won't have a fixed (hardware) architecture for quite a bit of time, so they can't even recall it as they have no way of fixing it properly.

Rebooting the system is what I usually tell my grandma to do to fix software issues on her computer. Guess Intel deployed that concept to servers.

Recall to what? Iirc, they won't have a fixed (hardware) architecture for quite a bit of time, so they can't even recall it as they have no way of fixing it properly.
Intel already added AMD graphics, might as well go all the way with a rebranded CPU inside!

intel's share price hasn't been hit all that hard considering. Maybe if they show lower earnings next quarter it'll actually take a decent hit.

I own Intel shares and just can't fathom why their price hasn't gone down more.

I think it's because market analysts are clueless and tend to regurgitate the same drivel...

But I could be wrong

Well I was planning to pull the trigger to rebuild my ancient HTPC with a Core i3, but it looks like I'll be waiting to see how the new Ryzen 3 does when it comes out.

Install through purchased DVDs, then I use cracks. Cracks are hit and miss for some games and some are just not available in DVDs (I haven't found Just Cause 3 for example). I can't download games or have constantly connected internet due to my very slow and expensive internet.

Well I was planning to pull the trigger to rebuild my ancient HTPC with a Core i3, but it looks like I'll be waiting to see how the new Ryzen 3 does when it comes out.

Current Ryzen 3 is pretty fantastic. Running it at 4Ghz and it's faster than my i5-6500 and 4670k.

Current Ryzen 3 is pretty fantastic. Running it at 4Ghz and it's faster than my i5-6500 and 4670k.
True, but I'm looking for something with integrated graphics to free up the PCIe slot for a TV tuner card. I'm also hoping for a TDP under 50W to enable options for some really thin cases. Intel had a lock on that with the i3/Pentium lines.

One build lost to AMD isn't going to hurt them. But I'm looking to build 3-4 setups this year for friends/family, none of which are now likely to have Intel CPUs (unless there's a damn good reason). If a bunch of people start thinking like that, Intel might see the hit to the bottom line.

So I haven't paid much attention to all of this so I am behind the power curve, but I had an issue Sunday afternoon.

I was playing PUBG, had just spotted a guy and was going to move to engage and my system just took a shit on itself. As it rebooted, I heard the Windows chime telling me Windows was up, but I had no video to either monitor, both had no signal.

I fucked around with it trying different things to troubleshoot the issue and eventually, after trying an old ATI HD 5700 card, I got video to a monitor. I figure my EVGA 1070 failed but I hadn't considered this issue.

Any chance my problem is related to these problems?

if/when they do fix it then they can issue one.

i don't think they will but i also don't want 15 dollars from some lawsuit.

I'm not surprised at what Intel is doing. All they care is about relieving you of your money, Screw giving you proper support, and security. It's all about the all mighty dollar for them.

I've ben anit-Intel since back in the Athlon days when Intel was using ILLEGAL business practices to keep AMD from gaining market share.

Or, buy their stock and take time out every month enjoying your earnings in dividends ..........

So now you will have to uninstall the Intel fixes, if possible, to see if it's causing a computer problem.

You sure it's "incompetence"? Intel has shown they love to employ forced obsolescence on a regular basis; perhaps this is their latest attempt at forcing the "retirement" of millions of machines.

I smell a class-action lawsuit brewing...

You know, I remember people saying over and over that old saying "no one was ever fired for buying Intel." I wonder how true that is anymore.

Back