Intel P67 or Z68 with a floppy?

Icestation

Weaksauce
I have been given the go ahead to build a new programming machine for myself at work woohoo!

I know this is a crazy question but I have looked all over newegg for a Intel board with a floppy connector.

This is a for a CAD CAM workstation at work. We have a lot of machines with floppies still :mad: and I would really like an internal floppy for ease rather then a usb one, those never seem to work as well.

They don't even have IDE connectors any longer, you can forget about floppy connectors. Maybe an add-in card?

Add-on cards are your best bet if you don't want to deal with USB.

I was just going to say that I remember watching a video on Newegg and thought it was odd that the board in question had a floppy connector. The problem was I forgot which board it was :D

This is a much better idea though, that way you're not limiting your board options.

While we are working to provide some lagecy support for ports like PS/2, serial and even some parallel. I think it is safe to say that floppy for from it own port on the board is gone. If you need floppy I would say that the best bet is one off from a USB header.

Do you know of anyone who makes internal floppy drives that use anything other than the standard floppy controller as their interface?

Just go USB.... Most BIOS now have USB boot option if you ever need it. I think most boards are non-legacy now.

I have to support a group of folks that occasionally need to handle floppies and I have them share a USB drive and it works with out a hitch.

Putting the floppy right in front of you and running a USB cable to the machine is really easy.. I would rather get a good board and use the USB floppy.

Back