Intel Opteron P4800x vs P900

ekiro

n00b
I ordered a HPE ProLiant DL325 G10 server and a Intel Opteron P4800x for NVMe storage to go along with it. I know the Intel Optane P900 has a much lower endurance, MTBF, enhanced power failure protection and the capability to change sector size along with very similar performance. I'm wondering if I should stick with the P4800x or return it and get the cheaper P900. Ideally I want something that will last me for the next 5 years while it is still under warranty and give me best performance available today. Are the extra benefits of the P4800x worth it? Does anyone have experience with one or the two NVMe drives? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

No experience with those drives, but Intel drives should give you 5 years of usage no problem. Reliability is usually my primary justification for choosing Intel drives. X-25 160GB came out 10 years ago and are probably still working just fine for people still using them (mine has been in constant use since then).

I ordered a HPE ProLiant DL325 G10 server and a Intel Opteron P4800x for NVMe storage to go along with it. I know the Intel Optane P900 has a much lower endurance, MTBF, enhanced power failure protection and the capability to change sector size along with very similar performance. I'm wondering if I should stick with the P4800x or return it and get the cheaper P900. Ideally I want something that will last me for the next 5 years while it is still under warranty and give me best performance available today. Are the extra benefits of the P4800x worth it? Does anyone have experience with one or the two NVMe drives? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
If reliability is your primary concern, the P4800X is the way to go. It has over 2.5 the lifetime write endurance over the P900. It is also faster, available in larger sizes and has a 25% better MTBF. The warranty is the same (given the write constraints) but only you can decide if the money is worth it. I don't know what your workload is and whether these particular stats will matter to you, but if this is an enterprise deployment and you have the budget, go with the P4800X.

What makes the P4800X more reliable ? cache RAM ?
Both should have the same endurance as long as there is no RAM cache to avoid some writes on Optane cells. .

Back