Intel Optane M10 as an SSD on linux

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Hey Guys,

I have a friend I'm giving a surprise Xmas present. He's a programmer/linux only type guy.

He currently has an i7-3770k, but not sure how much ddr3. He's a USA'ian but living in France where stuff is more expensive.

I was thinking of building him the following:

Ryzen 1700x
B450 motherboard
16G ddr4 ddr4-2400 "ryzen compatible"

Now about the SSD/boot drive....He may want to install this & get it up & running before tearing down his current system. I was thinking that an M10 32GB optane for $41. It fits the budget as well.

Anyone tried this?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
32Gb drive is pretty small. I would go with a larger 'regular' SSD instead. You can get a 120gb Samsung EVO for 41 bucks most likely. Linux boots fast even without SSD.

Hey Guys,

I have a friend I'm giving a surprise Xmas present. He's a programmer/linux only type guy.

He currently has an i7-3770k, but not sure how much ddr3. He's a USA'ian but living in France where stuff is more expensive.

I was thinking of building him the following:

Ryzen 1700x
B450 motherboard
16G ddr4 ddr4-2400 "ryzen compatible"

Now about the SSD/boot drive....He may want to install this & get it up & running before tearing down his current system. I was thinking that an M10 32GB optane for $41. It fits the budget as well.

Anyone tried this?

My OS install with takes up 39GB with associated dependencies relating to the fairly sizeable amount of software I have installed on my /home drive. That's remarkably lean, you might get away with 32GB if you don't install too much software/associated dependencies. Linux is pretty good like that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My OS install with takes up 39GB with associated dependencies relating to the fairly sizeable amount of software I have installed on my /home drive. That's remarkably lean, you might get away with 32GB if you don't install too much software/associated dependencies. Linux is pretty good like that.

Can always make a home drive as a mountpoint :)

Can always make a home drive as a mountpoint :)

I know for a fact that you'll get by with a 64GB SSD as an OS drive/root partition no problems. I know this because I did it for many years until I upgraded to an m.2 SSD and resized the partition.

Back