Intel officially announces new $20bn fab near Columbus, OH

As someone who grew up and lives in Ohio (near Cleveland), I hope this is good for the state.

As someone who grew up and lives in Ohio (near Cleveland), I hope this is good for the state.
Too bad for Cleveland, though. I know they were pulling for it, but couldn't find the land apparently.

There's going to be a total brain suck out of OSU in any case. My old department is likely going to triple in size.

I'm amazed one of these new fabs is actually being built in a place with water. Seems every other release is (for the most part) in locations with water scarcity.

Reactions: raz-0
like this
I'm amazed one of these new fabs is actually being built in a place with water. Seems every other release is (for the most part) in locations with water scarcity.
People like need water, and people don't like living near these kinds of factories because of pollution, noise, or other reasons, so usually they are built away from people (and therefore water), mostly to satisfy the populace.

They still get to tax the employees income and their land.
What has happened in many places is that the estimates are made for, say, 5000 jobs and that is how the tax offset is calculated by the community. What actually happens is that there end up only being 1250 jobs and then the community never gets anywhere near the revenue to recover the cost of emanant domain for the land, improvements for roads / water / sewer / etc, and the tax break they gave to the company. For a particularly nasty version of this, ask Mount Pleasant, WI (Foxconn deal) how well this worked out.

What has happened in many places is that the estimates are made for, say, 5000 jobs and that is how the tax offset is calculated by the community. What actually happens is that there end up only being 1250 jobs and then the community never gets anywhere near the revenue to recover the cost of emanant domain for the land, improvements for roads / water / sewer / etc, and the tax break they gave to the company. For a particularly nasty version of this, ask Mount Pleasant, WI (Foxconn deal) how well this worked out.
Eh... Columbus isn't Mount Pleasant. It already has an extremely robust industry, infra, and tax base (one of the few US cities to operate with a major budget surplus over the past few years).

People like need water, and people don't like living near these kinds of factories because of pollution, noise, or other reasons, so usually they are built away from people (and therefore water), mostly to satisfy the populace.
I agree with this, but you can put it away from people and not build in, oh say Arizona.

I agree with this, but you can put it away from people and not build in, oh say Arizona.
A lot of native american and farm land out there, and also maybe not a good worker pool, although you might have to attract workers from out of state regardless.

Edit: Err, ranch land.

Last edited:
This is in New Albany Ohio, not Columbus but near there. I believe new Albany annex that land for this purpose.

fun fact, Median family income is 200k there.

It's gonna be a minute until it's up and running, but should alleviate the chip shortage.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/21/22894612/intel-ohio-chip-plant-20-billion-processor-shortage

Happy to see it coming to Flavortown, USA, my (former) hometown.
"Jerod Knight said he's lived in the house most of his life. Now, he's got no choice but to move as Intel plans to build a chip facility.

28c00bd7-0a35-4708-b762-f524ec85361c_1920x1080.jpg

For all of his adult life, Jerod Knight’s neighborhood had consisted of a few homes and cornfields.
On Friday that changed forever when Intel formally announced it’s literally taking over the neighborhood.
“it's sad, it's very sad,” he says."

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/l...lity/530-23e46100-ed65-428f-9cf8-5a45baa414d4

"Jerod Knight said he's lived in the house most of his life. Now, he's got no choice but to move as Intel plans to build a chip facility.

View attachment 435664

For all of his adult life, Jerod Knight’s neighborhood had consisted of a few homes and cornfields.
On Friday that changed forever when Intel formally announced it’s literally taking over the neighborhood.
“it's sad, it's very sad,” he says."

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/l...lity/530-23e46100-ed65-428f-9cf8-5a45baa414d4

What you quote makes it seem like they just pushed him out against his will. The article goes on to say:

"Knight says a realtor working for the company offered a really good deal for his home and the plan is to close on the house his grandfather gave him by the end of next month."
For Jerod Knight, he says while he’s sad to go, he knows sometimes you can’t stop progress.
“Hopefully it does good for the community you know,” he said.

Sounds like they offered him a deal he couldn't refuse.

What you quote makes it seem like they just pushed him out against his will. The article goes on to say:

"Knight says a realtor working for the company offered a really good deal for his home and the plan is to close on the house his grandfather gave him by the end of next month."
For Jerod Knight, he says while he’s sad to go, he knows sometimes you can’t stop progress.
“Hopefully it does good for the community you know,” he said.

Sounds like they offered him a deal he couldn't refuse.
New Albany has been full of McMansions since the 90s. Also, it's 20 min from downtown columbus, and the only reason it hasnt been completely overrun by suburban sprawl is due to the influence of the rich folks who already live there. Those "few homes" he mentions are likely >$1m estates. I wouldn't feel too bad: he made bank selling, I'm sure.

It's confusing to look at Intel's production. Most of their fab lines are already in the US, assuming volume output is consistent. Though they have a bunch of "assembly facilities" elsewhere.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...screte-graphics/xe-hpg-microarchitecture.html
Intel states that:
Rasterization and ray tracing are fundamental to real-time graphics and will power the future of gaming. Xe HPG GPUs integrate a full set of graphics acceleration hardware engineered to accelerate both rasterization and ray tracing workloads and is optimized for both DirectX® 12 Ultimate and Vulkan.
This fixed function rendering includes geometry processing, rasterization, textures sampling, pixel processing and ray tracing.
The new ray tracing unit architecture provides full support for DirectX Raytracing and Vulkan RT, enabling true-to-life lightning and visual fidelity with acceleration for ray traversals, ray-box intersections, and ray-primitive intersections.
With AI upscaling and raytracing combined Intel could have performant solution for modern features like RTX and SSRTGI.

Intel's 10nm and 7nm are already being fabbed in Arizona. What are they planning on producing at the new Ohio fab?

What about all of the new fabs in Arizona and Texas that were talked about like a year ago?

Hopefully the community didn't screw themselves giving tax breaks and land to intel to the point that they will never recover.
Well, it ONLY cost the area $2B, so that's gonna take ALOT of recoverin, unless they consider that as "chump change" in that area :D

And most of that so-called recovery can't start until construction is underway, and won't be fully realized until the plants are coming online around 2025, so that's a good while to wait for those tax revenues to start rollin in.

This is assuming all goes well with the overall plan, which I know from my work in industrial construction, rarely ever happens as planned or as scheduled :)

Back