Intel NUC w/ pfSense with DD-WRT/Tomato as VLAN switch?

trizc

n00b
If you had a single nic pfSense box such as a NUC, would using dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt as a managed switch work instead of paying for a gigabit switch that supported VLAN? Would performance be worse with dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt (my thought is the custom firmware adds overhead vs a vlanswitch)?

If so I suppose then all you need to do is disable DHCP on the ARM router, enable VLAN so that the pfSense box can communicate with the modem. The ARM router can still be used to add wifi to the network with no issues?

thanks in advance, just thinking about solutions for home networking in case a friend wants to upgrade to pfsense

If you are willing to spend nuc style money why not get an edgerouter lite instead?

Thanks thats a good option. Seeing that the pfsense devs will support the edgerouter lite soon, that would make a good low cost solution.

the intel nuc thin canyon does have aes-ni for openvpn performance though. it seems there is no equivalent instruction set for non x86/x64 cpus?

The EdgeRouter wont get any pfsense support anytime soon. This was mentioned also 2 years ago now and development has been pretty much non-existent even working out the known issues in FreeBSD.
//Danne

gonzopancho made it sound like it was a done deal... and not 2 years ago... he said they would release it when they ship 2.2

It's been mentioned for a very long time (early 2013 if I'm not mistaken) so almost 2 years and hardware support is still so-so...
//Danne

Back