Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon Mini PC

HardOCP News

[H] News
Nate and his band of merry men over at Legit Reviews have Intel's NUC NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon mini PC in house for a little review action today. Built around Intel's Core i7-6770HQ ‘SkyLake’ quad-core processor, this thing could be the foundation for an itty-bitty badass build.

If you are a big fan of the Intel NUC mini-PC series, but didn’t think they had enough power for your needs, we have a special treat for you. We’ve spent the past week playing around with the Intel NUC code named ‘Skull Canyon’ that features the latest 6th Generation Intel Core i7-6770HQ ‘SkyLake’ quad-core processor and Intel Iris Pro Graphics 580 (GT4e). This is the first Intel NUC to feature a mighty Intel Core i7 processor and it also sports cutting edge technologies like Thunderbolt 3, two m.2 slots for running SSDs in RAID, support for six USB 3.0 ports, DDR4 memory and more.

So it's the price of a laptop except, without the screen or keyboard. And it has cooling issues. Other than that, it's great.

If you had a laptop that could use external graphics then I think it might be worth buying one. Have two devices with a GPU to take with you on the road and have the Nuc at home.

and no provision for an external graphics card. I'm in... :rolleyes:

It has Thunderbolt 3. The possibility of an external GPU is one of the selling points. Of course, as long as the only possible enclosure is the $450 Razer Core it's hard to find the value proposition of this duo -- basically you are spending 1150$ on a case, motherboard and CPU. As I outlined elsewhere, the NFC S4 Mini is barely bigger than the Razer Core itself and you can put in at least a GTX 950 but perhaps even a GTX 960.

It has Thunderbolt 3. The possibility of an external GPU is one of the selling points. Of course, as long as the only possible enclosure is the $450 Razer Core it's hard to find the value proposition of this duo -- basically you are spending 1150$ on a case, motherboard and CPU. As I outlined elsewhere, the NFC S4 Mini is barely bigger than the Razer Core itself and you can put in at least a GTX 950 but perhaps even a GTX 960.

My bad. I didn't even see that on the specs. I must have just glossed over it as I have a habit of doing.

Back