Intel NIC slow download on 1.0Gbps, but ok on 100 Mbps

Excavator

Gawd
New system here...first time I've ever had an Intel NIC.

Internet was running about half speed so I dig around a little and find it speeds up to normal if I set the adapters link speed to 100mbps.

What's up with that???

I know it's not the router, other computers hooked to the same router run normal and I swapped those connections around to verify.

The only thing that seems different is the Intel vs Marvel onboard NIC's.
So, is it some obscure setting? I have the latest drivers installed, this is all new soft/hard ware.

Sounds like some kind of autonegotiation issue. If the two sides are not handshaking correctly, you can get a duplex mismatch, which will hose your thruput. Maybe something else, but since you are unlikely to have a WAN greater than 100mb, I'd just go with what works :)

Have you tried a different cable or confirmed this cable works at gigabit speeds with another system/NIC?

Why is this in virtualized computing? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Are you having an issue on a VM on a host with a Intel NIC, or?

Lets get the basics down, what kind of router is it? What OS is this? Is there anything between the router and the host(switches, etc)? Is flow control enabled or disabled on your Intel NIC?

Without more information, sounds like a flow control or auto-negotiation issue.

Oops, don't know how I posted this in the wrong forum.

This is all windows 7 machines. Only one affected like this is the only one with the Intel NIC. All latest drivers and a fresh OS install on that machine.

Oops, don't know how I posted this in the wrong forum.

This is all windows 7 machines. Only one affected like this is the only one with the Intel NIC. All latest drivers and a fresh OS install on that machine.
Okay, that happens, just ask a mod to move it. However you didn't answer any of my questions beyond the OS. We can't help you if we don't know anything. :)

Lets get the basics down, what kind of router is it? What OS is this? Is there anything between the router and the host(switches, etc)? Is flow control enabled or disabled on your Intel NIC?
I'll add a few more questions.

Are you setting the speed manually to 100Mb or 1Gb, or letting it auto-negotiated? If so, did you set it on the router or PC side or both. Did you manually change ANY other settings?

NIC auto-negotiated 1gbps. I set it to 100mbps manually.
To change that setting, I went to Device Manager, right click on Intel Gigabit adapter, properties tab, link speed.

All other settings are back how Windows had them.

Back