Intel New SSD's next month?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
I've heard that Intel's new SSD's are due out next month, is this correct?

Fuck, I hope not. I'll have to buy them and I probably shouldn't spend the money, but like I said....I HAVE to buy them...

It better be out as it should've been out already. I want my first SSD! Although the sandforce drives are looking good and if they are as fast as they are saying I think Intel might have to cut prices and that's what I'm hoping for.

I'm seeing bids on the current Intel SSD at $200 to $300, but I'm not going to bid on it if new drives are coming out, at least not at the price it is now

What about the Sandforce SF-2000 and Micron C400 drives? Any of those arriving soon?

510s will be out of february, probably G3 ends of march. Im still wondering if G3 > G2 510 :confused:

The C400 should be around march/april, the SF2000 should be Q3, maybe Q4.

I heard my friend that the Intel G3 160GB price is Intel G2 80GB price.

DAMN that suck's! I want a SSD bad but dont wanna spend more than 200 for like a 120.

Current and soon to be released 120 GB SSD's will still be around $200. The only way you are going to get them under that price is when they go on sale and have mail in rebates.

Not sure, but aren't these based on the C400 hardware? I cannot find info on the process size though.

Corsair just released their SATA III SSDs today and guess what, the 120 GB SSD costs $310!!!

Corsair just released their SATA III SSDs today and guess what, the 120 GB SSD costs $310!!!

Newegg's had em for the last week or two? They were around 270 last time I checked.

Edit: Well they were I guess. That's what happens when there's a lack of competing products available on the marketplace.

Jeez - Crucial's C400's not out until mid March...need an SSD now!
Hope Intel G3 arrives sooner...

If you need an SSD now, then buy an SSD now. I suggest the 120GB Intel X25-M, or the 128GB Crucial C300. Both are excellent SSDs.

I'd avoid the Samsung 470 series unless you need very high sequential write speed at the expense of 4K performance. The 4K QD=1 and 4K high-QD performance of the Samsung is signficantly worse than the Intel X25-M and especially worse than the Crucial C300. But the Samsung 470 does have high sequential write speed, if that is what you really need.

If you need an SSD now, then buy an SSD now. I suggest the 120GB Intel X25-M, or the 128GB Crucial C300. Both are excellent SSDs.

Stuggling to justify buying current technology that will be "obsolete" in a month or so. Of course, I exaggerate but you know what I mean.

Actually, I read Crucial has real problems with the C300 and the latest firmware. Something about stuttering...so I'm staying clear of that.

I am really looking forward to the C400 and G3 reviews. My dual 80g G1 drives just don't seem to have the snap they used to have no matter what I do. I am ready to go to a single Drive with Trim and just keep it simple. I loaded a system with a 160gb Raptor that felt like it had more snap then mine. In two years I have only written 2tb to them.

Stuggling to justify buying current technology that will be "obsolete" in a month or so. Of course, I exaggerate but you know what I mean.

Actually, I read Crucial has real problems with the C300 and the latest firmware. Something about stuttering...so I'm staying clear of that.

You should not worry about someone labeling something that you are getting good use out of as "obsolete". If the SSD is working well, it does not matter if a newer model has come out. There is always new technology coming out. Just pick something good out of currently available products, and use it!

As for Crucial C300, there are many, many people (myself included) who have been using the C300 with the 06 firmware for months with nary a problem. I think any issues you have heard about are not the fault of the C300.

The Plextor that I linked to earlier is identical to the Crucial / Micron C400 / M4. Crucial / Micron do not make the controller in those drives, they buy them from Marvell. All drives with that Marvell controller should have approximately the same performance, similar to SF1200 drives.

The Plextor that I linked to earlier is identical to the Crucial / Micron C400 / M4. Crucial / Micron do not make the controller in those drives, they buy them from Marvell. All drives with that Marvell controller should have approximately the same performance, similar to SF1200 drives.

Absolutely incorrect. The Plextor and C400 may share the same Marvell 88SS9174-BJP2 controller, but the firmware for the C400 is completely different than the reference firmware from Marvell. And Plextor may have made their own changes to the firmware.

This will be obvious once the drives are out and the benchmarks begin to be posted. The Marvell reference firmware appears to sacrifice 4KB random performance in order to obtain higher sequential write speeds. Micron has apparently optimized their firmware for very high 4K performance (at least, they have on the C300).

While that's an almost plausible marketing claim, it is a marketing claim. I'll wait until the benchmarks and the first set of firmware updates are out. It would be interesting if true, but if there's a significant advantage in real world, (not server-type) benchmarks, I'll be somewhat surprised.

While that's an almost plausible marketing claim, it is a marketing claim. I'll wait until the benchmarks and the first set of firmware updates are out. It would be interesting if true, but if there's a significant advantage in real world, (not server-type) benchmarks, I'll be somewhat surprised.

Are you seriously claiming that SSD firmware does not make a difference in performance?

No, I'm claiming that this has not been a long term differentiator in the past.

What you seem to be missing is that the Marvell controller situation is different from Sandforce, Indilinx, Intel, Samsung, etc. in that the maker of the controller, Marvell, does does not insist on writing the firmware.

And if the Plextor "is identical to" the Micron C400 as you claim, why do they have different specs? For example, the sequential write speed spec for the Plextor PX-M2 256GB is 310 MB/s, as compared to 260 MB/s for the Micron C400. Then there is the 256GB Corsair Performance 3 with 320 MB/s sequential write, as compared to the 256GB Micron C300 with 210 MB/s sequential write. All with the same Marvell 88SS9174 controller.

Corsair Performance 3 specs:
http://www.corsair.com/solid-state-drives/performance-3-series.html

Plextor PX-M2 specs:
http://www.plextoramericas.com/index.php/ssd/px-m2 series?start=1

Micron C300, C400 specs:
http://www.micron.com/partscatalog....cts/parametric/solid_state_storage/client_ssd

That is interesting information. I'm sticking with my claim that it is not a long term differentiator. I can appreciate what you are saying about Marvell allowing OEMs to write their own firmware, and that can certainly be interesting in the short term, close to launch time frame, but in the long term, I believe firmwares will catch up and maximize the hardware across OEMs.

To maintain performance parity, OEMs are going to demand or develop firmware that maximizes performance to maintain their ability to price close to competitors, otherwise they will be selling drives at a value below competitors, for the same BOM. This is an untenable situation, and will lead to either OEMs dropping the chipset, or as I said, developing or buying firmwares that give them performance parity in the 1 year from launch timeframe.

Realistically? The SF-2000 is going to blow away these Marvell drives. They are mainly interesting in the lull until the SF-2000 launches.

Last edited:
Okay, so you retract your incorrect claim that the Plextor PX-M2 is identical to the Crucial M4. Instead, you claim that if we wait long enough, they will be the same. How long do we have to wait?

Also, don't you think you are being rather simplistic? How can you say that performance will be that same with all firmwares, when performance is not a one-dimensional variable? Optimizing 4KB performance will result in lower sequential performance. Some applications may benefit from higher 4KB performance, others from higher sequential performance. And that is only two dimensions of performance. Why would all firmware writers optimize for the same applications?

Last edited:
I can see from your posts that we are arguing at cross-purposes. An analogy would be if someone said that the EVGA Nforce motherboards were identical to the OEM Nvidia motherboards, and you argued that EVGA had an extra awesome BIOS, had silkscreened more EVGA logos on their motherboards, and painted the heatsinks blue. But most importantly, they had a really superior BIOS and the motherboards were not identical.The EVGA board boasted different memory read speeds, and had different Sandra buffered writes, etc., etc. OK - whatever, in my mind the hardware is identical, and I don't believe that firmware is a long term differentiator. If I bought these two motherboards a year from release, with a few flashes they'd have identical performance. I think the analogy is a pretty close one to this case, and if you don't agree with me, you're entitled to your opinion, I don't really have much to add.

This is not a matter of opinion. The SSDs are different. They are NOT identical. The firmware is different, the specifications are different. It is absurd to claim that they are identical, or that they will be identical if you wait long enough.

http://techpowerup.com/140691/Intel-510-Series-SATA-6-Gb-s-SSD-Slated-for-March-1.html
Looks like it will be awhile till prices come down on G3, "120 GB and 250 GB, priced at around US $366 and $767, respectively."

Those are not the so-called Intel G3 SSDs. Those are a new, high-performance product line. The Intel G3 SSDs are 320-series, not 510. And the G3 SSDs come in 40, 80, 120, 160, 300, and 600GB capacities.

http://jancerny.posterous.com/breaking-news-about-25nm-intel-ssd-g3-320-ser

Last edited:
Back