Intel Names will.i.am Director of Creative Innovation

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel has just announced that it has named the Black Eyed Peas front man will.i.am the company's new Director of Creative Innovation. Ummm, what?

As an extension of his insatiable fascination with technology, which plays a significant role in his professional and personal lives, will.i.am will engage in a multi-year, hands-on creative and technology collaboration with Intel Corporation. He already sports an Intel ID badge, which he proudly showed off at a news conference in Anaheim, where Intel is holding an internal sales and marketing conference.

Black Eyed Peas are a group for middle aged white people to feel "hip" listening to.

This is just weird. I don't understand Intel and the choices they make. But, who.am.i to question it...:confused:

Will I Am is the master at creating music that is catchy enough to get stuck in everyone's head, but watered down enough to give it mass appeal. The man is truly a genius at making records that sell, sell, sell. Whether you like his music is one thing, but you gotta respect the man's ability to earn a buck.

Shouldn't they have picked someone who writes his own original music to be a "creative" director? Or does this mean their going to be relasing new CPUs that are like bulldozer but just about different enough to not get sued...:p

I actually like him and the BEPs but it just seems a bit...odd.

:eek: I haven't really heard much of their stuff, but I had to do the music for some dance show (I needed work...) and I had to remix a number of their songs... they can't even line up beats and sounds properly and use waaaay too much auto tune :rolleyes:
Oh and I know someone that roadied part of their tour and they said they're total asshats :D

Huh, this is the guy from the same band that only hit the big time because they added a hot (in 2003 anyway) chick to the band.

Now if it was Daft Punk, or the Prodigy, then I would be fine with it, since both have recently made music that you would never peg as being their style (prodigy made Stand Up, well known for being the main tune in Kick-Ass, big beat is normally left to Fatboy Slim/Norman Cook, Daft Punk composed the instrumental work for Tron Legacy, a long step off from elctro funk), but Will. I. Am...nothing noteworthy since...well, never really.

Huh, this is the guy from the same band that only hit the big time because they added a hot (in 2003 anyway) chick to the band.

Now if it was Daft Punk, or the Prodigy, then I would be fine with it, since both have recently made music that you would never peg as being their style (prodigy made Stand Up, well known for being the main tune in Kick-Ass, big beat is normally left to Fatboy Slim/Norman Cook, Daft Punk composed the instrumental work for Tron Legacy, a long step off from elctro funk), but Will. I. Am...nothing noteworthy since...well, never really.

Wasn't it because they did an anti war song in 2000 something. That "where is the love" something utter bullshit irritating "song" that latched onto a popular subject?

god dammit. those assholes. thats the exact same job i applied for. FUCK. at least call me back Intel!

you are outayourhead

As a soon-to-be middle aged white person I agree.

And for clarification, I am soon to be middle aged, not white, I already have that down.

At my last job, one of the accountant ladies went to one of their shows. She was about 38-42. Her response when asked about the concert was "Oh my God, it was soooo cultural."

I couldn't even bring myself to be embarrassed for her.

Welp - back to AMD it is

That's what I posted on the Intel Facebook page when they announced it there. Not a good idea, in my opinion. Let's bring in Lady Gaga to Microsoft to be the Windows UI designer... Whether or not you like the music is irrelevant. I just don't see this guy as being good for the position. Creative, yes. But, music and CPU's are completely different things.

Will I Am is the master at creating music that is catchy enough to get stuck in everyone's head, but watered down enough to give it mass appeal. The man is truly a genius at making records that sell, sell, sell. Whether you like his music is one thing, but you gotta respect the man's ability to earn a buck.

I don't like BEPs but I will agree with this. Everyone is alowed to have their own opinion, but to deny their success is a little different.

He has not made a dime from me. I can't stand his music.

Please tell me that Intel is not actually not paying a salary for this position. If so what a waste of investor equity.

Please tell me that Intel is not actually not paying a salary for this position. If so what a waste of investor equity.

Nah I'm sure he'll be great for quarterly conference calls.

This quarters gonna be a good good quarter...

At my last job, one of the accountant ladies went to one of their shows. She was about 38-42. Her response when asked about the concert was "Oh my God, it was soooo cultural."

LMAO WTF? :eek::rolleyes::confused:

Because they are popular, celebrities are smarter and more better than regular people. Love them.

haha, is it possible to be embarrased for people you don't know over the internet? I feel bad that you even had to HEAR it.

Black Eyed Peas were good before Fergie joined them Their first two albums had some good tracks. After that it was all fuckin commercial trendy ass junk.

yer effin kidding me, right? It's gotta be April 1st...

Even tho I hate R.E.M .(it took me a full minute to type that) the song is playing in my head.. It's the end of the world as we know it. I DON'T feel fine.

Nah I'm sure he'll be great for quarterly conference calls.

This quarters gonna be a good good quarter...

I wanna be a fly on the wall if they let him open his mouth in front of investors!

Now I can understand cross-promotion or ads or whatever by a band or singer or rapper .... and a company. But will.i.am as Director of Creative Innovation? HUH? The only thing he does creatively is cuss. And is he going to have his security people around to beat the crap out of anyone in the company who dares to take a step near him?

Dumb dumb dumb.

Actually, Lady GaGa would be a better choice, she is more talented, creative, more innovative and she works herself to the point of passing out on stage.

They should get Ruby Lopez from Intel Retail Edge, she'd probably help sell more products than this guy.

Zarathustra[H];1036753891 said:
...just not sure who...

JustinBieber.png

I'm going to go against the grain and say this is a pretty cool idea. He has a passion for cutting edge technology and some pretty forward thinking ideas that come through in several of the videos he's done.

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" High Fidelity

I'm assuming, aside from being mostly a PR position, that will.i.am will be influencing only Intel's non-CPU projects that people tend to forget about. More consumer-oriented devices.

Back