Intel Moving Select CPUs To GlobalFoundries

erek

[H]F Junkie
The struggles are real for Intel

"The choice to offload Celerons and Pentiums makes the most sense because these are processors which don't really need the cutting edge lithography or node maturity that is available in Intel's 14nm+++. GlobalFoundries nodes would suffice just as much in these lower tier platforms and I think it makes definitive business sense to get rid of these. The Core i3 part on the other hand I am not so sure off because that is a mainstream desktop part and one that is closely tied to the Intel brand name and since GloFo's process is going to be different to Intel's (unless the company shares its trade secret 'CopyExactly") it could potentially damage the company's goodwill.

All that said, if this turns out to be true, Intel should be able to add a few percentage points of capacity on top of the 25% this quarter and if the ramp to 10nm goes successfully would be finally out of murky waters by early 2021. That this is going to be a make or break time for the company would also be an understatement. If 10nm fails, then the company is looking at loosing a lot more market-share to AMD and once the 14nm node becomes old enough, demand would quickly fall as well."

https://wccftech.com/rumor-intel-moving-select-cpus-to-globalfoundries/

I didn't expect this.

1.8.jpg

I thought they might move chipsets and stuff to an external manufacturer, but I did not expect CPU's.

So is this GloFo's 12nm process?

I wonder to what extent they were able to drop existing designs into GloFo's process and to what extent they had to be redesigned for the purpose.

2020 is turning out to be crazy thus far. Intel manufacturing in AMD's old fabs. Who would have thought it.

I didn't expect this.

View attachment 218778

I thought they might move chipsets and stuff to an external manufacturer, but I did not expect CPU's.

I wonder to what extent they were able to drop existing designs into GloFo's process and to what extent they had to be redesigned for the purpose.

2020 is turning out to be crazy thus far. Intel manufacturing in AMD's old fabs. Who would have thought it.

But it makes a lot more sense than the (obviously horseshit) rumors that Intel would be moving low-end CPUs to Samsung. At least they have experience making comparable -sized x86 CPUs (Ryzen 1.0 is twice the size of Skylake dual-core).

And after allowing as much outsourcing as you want, they have yet to take advantage of the agreement.

Distinguishing this by brand (pentium/celeron/i3) doesn't really make that much sense; I'm pretty sure the Pentium/Celeron core series chips are the same die as i3/i5/i7, just lower bins and/or cores disabled. HEDT and Xeon have a couple different dies depending on core counts though. Doing atoms at GloFlo might work though.

Distinguishing this by brand (pentium/celeron/i3) doesn't really make that much sense; I'm pretty sure the Pentium/Celeron core series chips are the same die as i3/i5/i7, just lower bins and/or cores disabled. HEDT and Xeon have a couple different dies depending on core counts though. Doing atoms at GloFlo might work though.

no, not true: The i3 dies are different to the i5 dies which are different again to i7 dies. This is because of the core count creep from the 7000-series to the 9000 series. The old 7000 series quad-core chip masks got used for 8000-series i3-and-below, the new 6-core silicon was used for 8000 series i5s and i7s. Then the new 9000 series came out and introduced yet another new mask: the 8-core die. So now Intel has 3 masks, the quad-core, hex-core, and Octo-Core. Many of these go into Mobile devices as well, where the die-space of extra disabled cores just isn't fly.

no, not true: The i3 dies are different to the i5 dies which are different again to i7 dies. This is because of the core count creep from the 7000-series to the 9000 series. The old 7000 series quad-core chip masks got used for 8000-series i3-and-below, the new 6-core silicon was used for 8000 series i5s and i7s. Then the new 9000 series came out and introduced yet another new mask: the 8-core die. So now Intel has 3 masks, the quad-core, hex-core, and Octo-Core. Many of these go into Mobile devices as well, where the die-space of extra disabled cores just isn't fly.

That makes sense; if that's the case, then sure, maybe make the quad-core dies at GloFo (probably have to adjust a bit and not just ship the masks over there), and only make the bigger chips on Intel fabs. In my defense, Intel's product numbering scheme makes keeping track of all of this stuff pretty much impossible. :(

Nope. Unlike AMD, Intel has enough volume that cutting everything from multiple dies makes more sense.They also have the added overhead of a larger number of parts with IGP.

There are usually4+ cuts for mobile parts (with larger IGPs). See here, where they have five for Skylake mobile:

9%20-%20Scale.jpg

They also use the same 4-core native parts (with lower efficnecy than the demanding notebooks) to fille the quad core desktop entry-level. That's where they get he Core i3 9100!

But the 6 an d 8-cores are all cut from the 9900k. Because hardly anyone uses them, they've ditched all IGPs bigger than GT2 from desktop (makeing them aall the same makes it easier to cut-down parts)

Last edited:
Is this because samsung & glofo have a cross compatibility at 14nm. So intel has option of outsourcing to either samsung and/or glofo ?

I didn't expect this.

Why would you believe it now? This is a WCCFT rumor.

IIRC, so far, they have rumored that Intel will do CPU production at TSMC, Samsung, and now GF.

I am sure if there were more FABs that might remotely be considered Viable, they would cover those with rumors as well. :rolleyes:

Why would you believe it now? This is a WCCFT rumor.

IIRC, so far, they have rumored that Intel will do CPU production at TSMC, Samsung, and now GF.

I am sure if there were more FABs that might remotely be considered Viable, they would cover those with rumors as well. :rolleyes:

Maybe they'll predict IBM next.

Sure you and I all know IBM sold its fabs to GloFo a few years ago, but remember the source is one that has never found a rumor it can't put a clickbait title and ads on.

i was told that all intel had to do was throw money at their problems and they would go away.

Back