Intel lied to us! (And I'm not complaining...) (No 56K)

mavalpha

[H]F Junkie

Oh, and for anyone that cares- the OCZ Vista Upgrade that's rated at 5-6-6 actually has its SPD set to 5-5-5 at 1.8V, as shown above.

8 gig memory limit of those particular chipsets maybe?
Correct. According to Intel, including technical documentation, G33 only supports up to 8GB addressable space, and even G35 is iffy on whether it supports 8 or 16. Officially, 16GB of RAM are only supported on G45/P45, and maybe the 43's as well. As you can see, G33/P35 is just fine with 16GB of DDR2.

Correct. According to Intel, including technical documentation, G33 only supports up to 8GB addressable space, and even G35 is iffy on whether it supports 8 or 16. Officially, 16GB of RAM are only supported on G45/P45, and maybe the 43's as well. As you can see, G33/P35 is just fine with 16GB of DDR2.

What, no cookie?

It supports upto 8GB because thats what they tested the chipset with, saying upto 8GB guarantees that it works with 8GB, they cant say 16GB if they cant verify/test it

the g33/p35 was released in June of '07, two and a half years ago, come on...

So, the question is: is that extra 8GB "accessible? Time to load up some massive renders or something!

so all you guys out there with only 8gb ram in your g31 can now finally stuff in that other 8gb. while you are doing that, i will alert the media.

So, the question is: is that extra 8GB "accessible? Time to load up some massive renders or something!
Yes, it's accessible. One of my compiling sessions hit 93% usage last night, before Windows gave me a Low Memory error- I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. :p
Does this also mean X38 chipsets also support 8GB+ of RAM?

Page 33
http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/317610.pdf
The MCH supports 64 GB (36 bit) of host address space...
Yep, I'd say odds are good. :)

Thank god!

Now i can finally spend more on ram for my old piece of poo 775 than a brand new i7 setup. lol

Now the question is will they take 4 8gb sticks!

Thank god!

Now i can finally spend more on ram for my old piece of poo 775 than a brand new i7 setup. lol

Now the question is will they take 4 8gb sticks!
16GB kit, $330.
i7 with 12GB, more than $330. i7 with 16GB, well over a grand.

You do the math.

In applications where the extra RAM helps, it's an easy justification.

Back