Intel Leaks i7-2700k

Yeah thats why I said it was probably unlikely that it was new stepping since the engineering sample was the same thing. The main part in waiting is because rumors that are coming out are that the 2700k are cherry picked cores that overclock better. Worth the wait since I want to get as much as possible for the money.

Hardest thing is waiting for the 2700k and the whole video card scenario with the next gen coming soon. Makes spending 2k+ on a system kind of sketchy right now but all the good games are coming out shortly so got to pay to play.

That's the problem with computer technology today. It's going so fast, the next best thing is always "just around the corner." You end up waiting and waiting, and you never get your computer built.

And the other thing is... why do you need it to overclock to 5+ ghz? A Sandy Bridge processor at 4.6-4.8 ghz will not be a bottleneck in any sort of gaming system.

yep there have been people sitting around waiting for years while not even having a decent pc in the meantime. daydreaming about a perfect $2500 pc when you are using a Pentium 4 and 8500gt is silly.

It's not about needing it overclock to 5... it's about wanting it to. Realistically, the 2600k by itself is more than capable enough by itself without overclocking it. But since we like OC'ing, why wouldn't I want to buy something that overclocks more with the exact same cooling I would have if it means waiting for a few more weeks. It's simply more bang for the buck.

As for sitting around, I actually have been sitting around for years without any upgrades. Not because I've been "daydreaming" about the perfect system, its because I didn't need a powerful system since none of the games in the last few years interested me enough for me to want to upgrade. Wouldn't make sense for me to do a major upgrade just to browse, work, watch movies, etc etc and have it go obsolete in a few months when no games interest me. As you said, technology moves so fast these days and doing upgrades really often just isn't worth the money for me unless I actually need the power since it loses it's value so fast.

You would be surprised about the amount of people who are still getting by with P4's and 8500gt's. If all you do is browse, check email, and use the occasional MS Office app, a P4 can still do those things fine. Might be not as snappy but it'll still get things done. I was using my old watercooled P4 2.4c OC'ed to 3.2 for years until I ran across a C2Q 8200 system for free. But now that BF3 and other games are coming out, I finally feel it's time to do a major upgrade.

should i buy the 2700k or socket2011 quad core 2820 about the same price??? coming from 4ghz i5 760

should i buy the 2700k or socket2011 quad core 2820 about the same price??? coming from 4ghz i5 760

If I were you I would wait for Ivy. I only saw about a 15% boost in cpu limited games when going from an i5 760 at 4ghz to an i5 2500k at 4.7ghz. The i5 760 is still a killer gaming cpu.

That's the problem with computer technology today. It's going so fast, the next best thing is always "just around the corner." You end up waiting and waiting, and you never get your computer built.

I really hate this blanket statement. Sometimes it is worth waiting if the product cycle is just about to be refreshed. However, in the case here, the product refresh is still a few months out and even then the wait for this particular refresh probably isn't worth it. But to just always say "you'll be waiting forever blah blah blah" is just false.

yep there have been people sitting around waiting for years while not even having a decent pc in the meantime. daydreaming about a perfect $2500 pc when you are using a Pentium 4 and 8500gt is silly.

Thats a bad example, i am running a 9550 at 3.61 on air with a gtx 570 and everything runs great.. Bought it 3 years ago.. Now if you are a die hard cpu fan get the i7 so you can increase your FPS past 60 and even maybe 120 if you have the monitor. There is a bottle neck for BF3 but i think its just bad coding. I am sure eventually BF3 will be getting 60fps on all quad cpus with a video card like mine. I think also 2012 games will take advantage of the i7 finally. So yes 2012 is a good year to upgrade but not yet for me.

And don't many 2600k's already hit 5 ghz at 1.4v? The good ones are the ones that can hit 5 ghz at like 1.3v.

No, the majority of 2600k's are lucky to get 4.8Ghz fully stable at 1.4v. If the 2700k is higher binned and able to hit 5ghz+ consistently on air its worth it to me wait and get one over the 2600k if it releases at near the same price.

No, the majority of 2600k's are lucky to get 4.8Ghz fully stable at 1.4v. If the 2700k is higher binned and able to hit 5ghz+ consistently on air its worth it to me wait and get one over the 2600k if it releases at near the same price.

+1... hopefully it comes out on the 24th as some have speculated.

I don't want to jump in the middle of the debate, but I am one who still runs a P4 3.4 Extreme Edition (Gallatin Core - blast from the past, I know) and I think I'm going to wait for Ivy Bridge. I might pull the trigger earlier and go with a Sandy Bridge E, but for me it's not so much about gaming as it is encoding HD video I take while storm chasing. I haven't bothered putting my system specs in my signature because I'm embarrassed to say I still have a P4 box, but in a few months I plan to put them in there when I build a smokin' fast new rig. I'm also waiting for a substantial amount of money to arrive in my bank account (I'm serious) and once that's in place then I will pull the trigger. I believe I've come to the right place to brush up on current technology and get the best advice going on the current tech scene.

That's really hardcore. I have PIV rig in my work place and just using it makes me want to throw it through the window.

If I may suggest something even measly pentium e 21x0 would run around this thing and it can be picked up for few dozens of bucks.

Most of the people dreaming more than likely have core 2 duos or core 2 quads. Owning a core 2 duo myself I can't really see the point in upgrading, since it is more than fast enough for the tasks I do. So I can wait another year for ivybridge. I think the biggest bottleneck I have right now isn't even the CPU, but the amount of ram,(2GB) which makes it chug when I get too many windows open.

PS: I feel sorry for the Pentium 4 people, now that is something that should be upgraded.

No need to feel sorry for me as I have a laptop with a Mushkin SSD and a C2D with plenty of RAM. I can hardly stand to work on XP on the rig I mentioned above as it's so slow now as compared to a fresh install of Windows 7 on an SSD. I only boot the box up about once a week when I have to, but my time has come and I can't wait to build a new rig!

As much as people queef ed over the q6600 I still think that was a bad CPU to buy and it was worth waiting for the 9xxx CPUs if you just gamed. There was almost no quadcore advantage until the 9xxx were out. Worth waiting since the 9550 at 3.4+ is still rarely a bottleneck.

As much as people queef ed over the q6600 I think that was a bad CPU to buy and it was worth waiting for the 9xxx CPUs if you just gamed. There was almost no quadcore advantage until the 9xxx were out. Worth waiting since the 9550 at 3.4+ is still rarely a bottleneck.
not everybody can wait. sometimes you have to build a pc regardless of what will be available weeks or months down the road. in many ways the Q6600 is the 8800gtx of the cpu world. with overclocking, it has been relevant for way longer than anyone would have imagined.

As much as people queef ed over the q6600 I still think that was a bad CPU to buy and it was worth waiting for the 9xxx CPUs if you just gamed. There was almost no quadcore advantage until the 9xxx were out. Worth waiting since the 9550 at 3.4+ is still rarely a bottleneck.

:rolleyes:

Yorkfield was barely faster than Kentsfield clock for clock. 9550 didn't hit the price that Q6600 sat at for the longest time until after Nehalem launched. Q6600 was a great buy. Right now AMDs top of the line processors are barely faster than Kentsfield clock for clock.

:rolleyes:

Yorkfield was barely faster than Kentsfield clock for clock. 9550 didn't hit the price that Q6600 sat at for the longest time until after Nehalem launched. Q6600 was a great buy. Right now AMDs top of the line processors are barely faster than Kentsfield clock for clock.

Everything you say is true but a 9550 clocks higher in addition to being faster clock for clock (a little) and the main reason I say this is because the 9550 reaches the limit that games require and have required for quite some time while the q6600 is under par. So I'm framing the argument in terms of real world use and performance adequacy longevity not benchmarks. The 9550 didn't hit the price as fast but it did retain a higher resale price as well ~ it is worth almost twice as much right now (which also reflects how the 9550 is STILL adequate while the q6600 is not).

Lol performance adequacy longevity, I like that phrase.

Last edited:
I loved both my Q6600 and 9550, however if you want to true long term value champ of the last 10 years or so I have to go with the i7 920. People who hopped on 1366 early have been running them for 3 years and they are still competitive with AMD's highend and Intel's midrange. Sure they put off heat like a fusion reactor are aren't terribly power efficient but that is damn impressive for any piece of computer tech, let alone a cpu.

That's the problem with computer technology today. It's going so fast, .

I think Computer Technology has always gone fast.

Yes certain personalities are like this. I always tell people what you have to do is figure out a budget that you can afford for computers for a year, Then every year try to spend that much. Or if it is too little you need to break it up to every 2 years. But definitely do not go on 5 year binges where you drop a ton of money on a machine and then wait till the bitter end. It is better to be sustainable and always have a decently fast mid range machine than have a killer machine for 1 year and deal with a very slow machine for the last 2 years. If you build your own computers this is easy to achieve.

Glad I went ahead and upgraded from my q9550 to the 2600k, I'm not with all this waiting around stuff, by the time to get the the cashier your stuff is out dated. Just be objective about your upgrades and get the part according to what you need and currently do. It's hard to really 'future proof' these days.

for my parents, I just get them a new $300-$350 oem pc every 3-4 years or so. for me, around $900-$1000 every 2.5-3 years is the plan with maybe a gpu upgrade at some point if need be. I cant figure out the people that say they cant afford a decent gaming pc yet they drop 50-60 bucks a pop on games right when they release. the money I save buying games on sale easily lets me build a new gaming pc every 2.5-3 years.

And the other thing is... why do you need it to overclock to 5+ ghz? A Sandy Bridge processor at 4.6-4.8 ghz will not be a bottleneck in any sort of gaming system.

It will bottleneck my BF3 at 1024x768. And yes I play at that res :)

it will only a bottleneck a very high end gpu which would be stupid to buy for that silly resolution anyway. and does it matter because your framerate will be ridiculously high anyway with any decent card at 1024x768?

I'll be the guy in the distance that you can't even see, demolishing you because of your absurdly low resolution.:p

Yes certain personalities are like this. I always tell people what you have to do is figure out a budget that you can afford for computers for a year, Then every year try to spend that much. Or if it is too little you need to break it up to every 2 years. But definitely do not go on 5 year binges where you drop a ton of money on a machine and then wait till the bitter end. It is better to be sustainable and always have a decently fast mid range machine than have a killer machine for 1 year and deal with a very slow machine for the last 2 years. If you build your own computers this is easy to achieve.

i disagree

the "wow" factor of making a new, blazing fast PC every 2-3 years is awesome :)

I'll be the guy in the distance that you can't even see, demolishing you because of your absurdly low resolution.:p

i'll be the guy on the server you'd be screaming to the admin to kick because of hacks.

On a serious note whens this chip going to be out.

What fps do you get at that rez with a 4.6 sandy and a top of the line gpu? But yea you should at least use a low widescreen rez silly. Unless you need the stretch to help you see things.

Found this FWIW (not much). Also, found a site with a post dating Sep 22nd that says Bulldozer rumored for Oct 12th (which happened) and 2700k rumored for the 24th.
Fingers crossed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
before upgrading anything

not the best, but good enough compared to 1024x768
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009256
no way would I ever mail order a monitor from them with their horrible return policy. those go on sale locally for 89 bucks every other week or so at Staples. the power light is ridiculously bright and will annoy the hell out of most people. the 202hl appears to be the same monitor but has a better power light and its on sale at BB for 99 bucks about every other week too.

I can tell you those monitors suck for fast pace gaming as they have about the worst motion blur I have ever seen. just looking around slowly in a game is a little jittery and fast movement is enough to be disorienting at times if you are sensitive.

EDIT: and here is a pic of the annoying power lite on the 201hl in case you think I was exaggerating.

hosting images

no way would I ever mail order a monitor from them with their horrible return policy. those go on sale locally for 89 bucks every other week or so at Staples. the power light is ridiculously bright and will annoy the hell out of most people. the 202hl appears to be the same monitor but has a better power light and its on sale at BB for 99 bucks about every other week too.

I can tell you those monitors suck for fast pace gaming as they have about the worst motion blur I have ever seen. just looking around slowly in a game is a little jittery and fast movement is enough to be disorienting at times if you are sensitive.

EDIT: and here is a pic of the annoying power lite on the 201hl in case you think I was exaggerating.

hosting images

Black Sharpies take care of even the brightest LED's. ;)

Here's a look at a retail sample:

pi32wprime5ghz.jpg

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?276113-thats-it-...-2700K

The 24th seems to be now confirmed as the release date as well.

Here's a look at a retail sample:

pi32wprime5ghz.jpg

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?276113-thats-it-...-2700K

The 24th seems to be now confirmed as the release date as well.
If that is truly stable at 5ghz 1.368v then it does indeed seem they have worked some major improvements into the yield of these over the last 11 months. I don't think its enough to upgrade for anyone running a lower end 1155 quad, but it does bode well for hoping IB will clock into the mid 5's at launch.

Still, I will take this with a grain of salt until I see a verified overclock that hasn't crashed after running Folding at Home Bigadv for at least a week. A lot of the overclocks people run on their 2600k/2500k's seem stable enough until you try to fold on them 24/7. If the overclock can't hold up to constant full load then it is not as stable as a stock chip and is therefore an essentially meaningless figure to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but arn't those prices in Canadian dollars.

Back