Intel Launching 3 Nehalem-based CPUs By The End Of 4Q08

HardOCP News

[H] News
DigiTimes, citing anonymous industry sources, claims that Intel has plans to launch three Nehalem-based quad-core processors at the end of the fourth quarter this year

Although official model names have not yet been set, the CPUs are currently identified by the codenames XE, P1 and MS3 with core frequencies of 3.2GHz, 2.93GHz and 2.66GHz, respectively. All three have a TDP of 130W, 8MB L3 cache and will support simultaneous multi-threading (SMT) technology, the sources detailed.

I sure wish we would start seeing clock speeds approaching 4ghz without overclocking. Apparently we're near the limit with current designs. I wish more focus were put on getting past the clocks speeds we've had for a few years now.

I sure wish we would start seeing clock speeds approaching 4ghz without overclocking. Apparently we're near the limit with current designs. I wish more focus were put on getting past the clocks speeds we've had for a few years now.

If IPC is improving I don't see why it matters.

Why does everyone bag on the Extreme Edition CPUs? Intel offers them as flagship products and some people actually buy them. So why shouldn't Intel sell them? Other than that at stock speeds they are the fastest processors Intel has to offer and you can overclock them more easily even on mediocre boards because they aren't multiplier locked.

I'd rather see the opposite - if we could get a processor that does what the Q6600 does @ 800MHz instead, then that's a far more technologically advanced feat then just pumping more GHz.

Another positive aspect would be less power used and less heat, allowing of course that architecture to be scaled higher and higher.

4 Cores and 4 Threads? I would love to see the 8/8's ship.. woot!

Should be wickedly fast if they price them right..

The Big Question is this, will the new "extreme" processors allow an Overclock?

The price of these processors is what everyone is complaining about. Only the enthusiast who has the money to burn can afford them while the majority of most average users can't.

As far as Nehalem goes, I'm skipping being one of the first adopters until the platform matures. I'd rather wait and purchase a product which is solid right out of the box in all aspects / features than to put up with incompatibilities or performance issues.

130W TDP?
=(

BTW that's lower than the QX9775 processors. Those chips have a TDP of 150watts while their LGA775 cousin the QX9770 has a 130Watt TDP. So nothing really changes with Nehalem if this is true.

BTW that's lower than the QX9775 processors. Those chips have a TDP of 150watts while their LGA775 cousin the QX9770 has a 130Watt TDP. So nothing really changes with Nehalem if this is true.

Well, they were doing a good job with the Penryn by lowering power draw. I hope they continue on that path and don't become as lame as video cards, requiring 200W+.

If anything 130TDP is a vast improvment considering they now have the pci-e and memory on die which adds to the generated heat of the cpu.

Also they went from processing one thread per core to 2 threads per core. So if they can keep the same tdp I really dont see what the compliant is.

Intel is letting you have your cake and eat it to, yet people now want for Intel to hire them someone to feed them the cake.

Also they went from processing one thread per core to 2 threads per core. So if they can keep the same tdp I really dont see what the compliant is.

Intel is letting you have your cake and eat it to, yet people now want for Intel to hire them someone to feed them the cake.

40% more performance at the same power envelope.. that sounds like one hell of an improvement in the performance-per-watt segment.

I am certain they will have some ULV versions for mobile and server computing in the near future.

I think intel outsources cake feeding to India.

I'm really happy with my 9450 right now, I'll be sticking with that and probably skip this next gen till they come out with a new pinset.

A new pinset? Nehalem is a new pinset. If you mean the pinset after that, then dont hold your breathe for to long.

Do all of these need DDR3?

They are either dual or triple channel DDR3. That is the limiting factor for me. Until I can get a 6gb triple channel DDR3 kit for a decent price, I am going to hold off.

The only problem is I really want one a Nehalem and I can afford the insane initial pricing. It is going to be tough controlling my impulse to buy right when they come out. :( I need to be saving more money, not throwing it away on computer upgrades I don't need. :(:(

They are either dual or triple channel DDR3. That is the limiting factor for me. Until I can get a 6gb triple channel DDR3 kit for a decent price, I am going to hold off.

The only problem is I really want one a Nehalem and I can afford the insane initial pricing. It is going to be tough controlling my impulse to buy right when they come out. :( I need to be saving more money, not throwing it away on computer upgrades I don't need. :(:(

I'de say go for it.. Sell your current rig for a little Scratch to cover the costs..

Back