Intel Launches Xeon-W CPUs for Workstations

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Intel has taken the wraps off their new Xeon-W family of processors: the lineup comprises eight CPUs, ranging from the W-2195 (18/36 Cores, 2.3 GHz) to the W-2123 (4/8 Cores, 3.6 GHz). The new chips will enable workstations that can be used for photorealistic design, modeling, artificial intelligence (AI), analytics, and virtual reality (VR) content creation.

The single-socket Intel Xeon W processor delivers mainstream performance optimized for the needs of traditional workstation professionals. The Intel Xeon W processor features up to 18 cores and up to 36 threads, with an Intel Turbo Boost Technology frequency up to 4.5 GHz. Mainstream workstations will experience up to a 1.87x boost in performance compared to a 4-year-old system4 and up to 1.38x higher performance compared to the previous generation.

I hope [H]ardOCP gets one of those W-2135 4.5GHz boost 6-core models in for benchmarking. It's the first CPU I've seen in a while that might justify upgrading from my old i7-6700 GTX1080+GTX1060 rig. But without some [H]ard reviews to base the decision on, my money stays in my pocket.

Base clock speeds are piddly on the 10+ core chips (2.3/3.3GHz) and meh on the 6/8 core chips (3.6-3.7 GHz).

Am I missing something or does this seem like a wet fart compared to AMD's offerings? I guess the guys who can only buy Intel at work need something...

Base clock speeds are piddly on the 10+ core chips (2.3/3.3GHz) and meh on the 6/8 core chips (3.6-3.7 GHz).

Am I missing something or does this seem like a wet fart compared to AMD's offerings? I guess the guys who can only buy Intel at work need something...
Hmm I'm not a 100% on the relevance of base clocks when boost clocks are high enough. I just figured the real clockspeeds would be mostly determined by how sufficient your cooling is. Though I don't really know how the boost will work on these workstation parts, so it could be anyone's guess.

So you pay 40% more just to get ECC support. Go product segmentation. I guess I'll continue to build AMD workstation here at work. Glad we have Epyc servers incoming too.

So you pay 40% more just to get ECC support. Go product segmentation. I guess I'll continue to build AMD workstation here at work. Glad we have Epyc servers incoming too.

What's really needed is an unlocked Xeon with 4 cores / 8 threads obviously retaining ECC support. When a weird mem error can cause a part to become fucked up in MasterCAM that extra 40% for a CPU = Sweet FA. Not everything is 3D Printed first (yet).

It would be a SolidWorks dream machine. It's old shit code base does not cope with well high core counts and it's multi-threadding is truly appalling in most parts of the app, GPU acceleration.... don't make me laugh, SW2017 still can't quite cope with HiDPI displays!

When your spending x4 as much on a single CAD package as the machine your running it on the hardware choices become very strange, I'd say alien to gamers and 90% of other PC nuts (I spec em' for a living).

Shame such a thing doesn't exist from intel. The lowest end Threadripper from AMD on the other hand....

Last edited:
What's really needed is an unlocked Xeon with 4 cores / 8 threads obviously retaining ECC support. Would be a SolidWorks dream machine. It's old shit code base does not cope with well high core counts and it's multi-threadding is truly appalling in most parts of the app, GPU acceleration.... don't make me laugh, SW2017 still can't quite cope with HiDPI displays!

When your spending x4 as much on a single CAD package as the machine your running it on the hardware choices become very strange, I'd say alien to gamers and 90% of other PC nuts (I spec em' for a living).

Shame such a thing doesn't exist from intel. The lowest end Threadripper from AMD on the other hand....

16XX v1 v2 v3 Xeons are unlocked. Not sure if they are doing it on newer ones.

Last edited:
Back