Intel Launches the 28 Core W-3175X

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Today, Intel launched the 28-core W-3175X workstation processor. As we previously reported, this monster CPU is based on the same die that Intel's $10k+ Xeon Platinum 8180 CPUs use, but trades multi-socket support and other enterprise-focused features for an unlocked multiplier, higher clockspeeds, and a higher TDP. Unlike its predecessors, the W-3175X won't fit into a regular LGA 2066 socket, as it requires a special LGA-3467 motherboard. Intel says the platform offers up to 68 PCIe lanes and 6 channels of DDR4 with ECC support, but curiously, the platform is capped at an uneven 512GB of maximum memory. Asetek developed the 690LX-PN AIO liquid cooler to handle the monster CPU, and Intel claims it's "1.52x" faster than the i9-9980XE while building Epic's Infiltrator demo.

Reviews around the web suggest that the W-3175X excels in situations that can make use of the extra threads, but otherwise matches the Core i9-9980XE in workloads that don't scale across that many cores. Unfortunately, the W-3175X appears to only be available from system integrator at this time, as I don't see it listed at any major U.S. retailer yet. There's no word on when, or if, we'll see the the CPU and compatible motherboards for sale by themselves. Intel's recommended tray price for the CPU alone is $2999, and for reference, a Maingear system based on the platform starts at a cool $14,899.

Last edited:
The 14899 configuration doesn't even include the 2080 ti, just the vanilla. What a rip off. 15500 with the TI.

At those prices I would rather use an EPYC and a somewhat standard socket.

This.

On the other hand, someone on this forum will have access to these in due time. It's really incredible the amount of resources here.

when does intel NOT force you to update any motherboard..........................................

Imma predict the future. These will be consumer affordable the same the quarter AMD puts out something equivalent.

Intels drip-crowbar-drip approach to performance makes nvidia blush and will historically be marked as the period where intel held back allowing parallel markets to develop.

That you cant buy a phone with an intel chip is major. Once arm and AMD are within striking distance of server market intel demise will be quick.

At this price I would rather dedicate the next 30 days trying to short Intel's stock while also building a new meth lab in Albuquerque. And maybe a few lines of coke while I'm at it. Because at the end of the day, at least I have some rocks, a bloody nose, and a goal that actually is meaningful.

At this price I would rather dedicate the next 30 days trying to short Intel's stock while also building a new meth lab in Albuquerque. And maybe a few lines of coke while I'm at it. Because at the end of the day, at least I have some rocks, a bloody nose, and a goal that actually is meaningful.

I hear intel has a CEO slot open. You should apply.

That is an INSANE price and 255W TDP? yeah there is a very small number of people that will actually need or use this. That's not to say it isn't something I would covet, but I sure as hell aren't paying for one myself.

I would agree if it weren't for the fact I already have a few workstations running 7551P's and they are badassed.

That is an INSANE price and 255W TDP? yeah there is a very small number of people that will actually need or use this. That's not to say it isn't something I would covet, but I sure as hell aren't paying for one myself.
Relatively small number but those out there who do need it pay through the nose for it and they are more than happy to if it increases productivity in a meaningful way I know a few people who upgraded from Xeons to Epyc's and it shaved off more than a few hours off each of their weeks. At $50+ an hour for their work the ROI on these isn't at all bad, but they had to build most of those workstations in house and accounting departments HATE that, it is hard to explain the expenses to departmental auditors so they vastly prefer getting systems from Dell / HP / ... where it is easier, which sort of explains their choice to limit the chips to system integrator's.

Head to head vs 32 core TR. Or soon to go head to head with 7nm TR2. Also with a comparison of total system cost.

FIGHT!

Come on Zen 2 and TR 2! Intel's pricing and socket requirements are out of control.....
The closest AMD equivalent to this CPU would by the Epyc 7451, which just happens to be around the same price as the W-3175X. These processors are in a completely different category from Threadripper. I know it's shocking to learn that there is more than gaming and single user productivity processors out there.
when does intel NOT force you to update any motherboard..........................................
The LGA 3467 socket has been around for 3 years across 3 chipsets so far.

Reading about this from other sources, it appears that Intel is only making a few thousand of these - definitely sub 10k. Which puzzles me, because the performance of the product in reviews shows it to be a very good product for professional workstation loads.

still runs at 5Ghz all cores ?

giphy.gif

Gamers Nexus got the chip to 4.5ghz and I think it used over 650w. They said 3 delta fans at over 70DB could barely keep it cool! laugh
I used to use 3 Deltas in my first custom case. Had to manually spin the fans up because the PSU couldn't crank them. Cut my fingers plenty of times. Sounded like a lawnmower.

How can a crappy China board do multi gen Intel chips if Intel said it is not possible? Now I don't normally watch Linus, but thought this was interesting.

How can a crappy China board do multi gen Intel chips if Intel said it is not possible? Now I don't normally watch Linus, but thought this was interesting.

Wow that board is pretty slick! The 3.0 version supposedly supports up to a 9xxx series Intel. Support for 6th, 7th ,8th and 9th gen processors is pretty insane. Just too bad about DDR3.

Honestly, for $3,000 a 28 core unlocked cpu, 68 pcie lanes etc. etc. is a hell of a good deal, especially when you consider that the 10 core skylake CPU's are $1,000 a pop.

Imma predict the future. These will be consumer affordable the same the quarter AMD puts out something equivalent.

AMD had something equivalent last year, the TR 2990WX, which is currently going for around $1,700 and plops into the same sTR4 socket as the rest of the Threadripper lineup. Intel's late to the party on this one, although the higher single thread performance and lack of NUMA complexity does give the W3175x an overall performance edge.

Intel : Let's hurry and rip off our customers before AMD TR2 comes out.

Back