Intel launches AV1 Video encoder and decoder for processors with more efficiency and less power

kac77

2[H]4U

Intel launches AV1 Video encoder and decoder for processors with more efficiency and less power

By Jason R. Wilson / Apr 29, 2022 16:22 EDT

Intel is a founding member of the Alliance for Open Media, so it is no surprise that it has created a new and more efficient video codec to become more widely available for content creators, end-users, and streaming providers. The company has released version 1.0, offering open-source, scalable video technology for encoding and decoding in CPUs. Intel's further AV1 decoding appeared in the company's Xe-LP GPUs as early as two years ago. Even better about Intel's newest version is that it is fully compatible with all current processors.

I'm all for newer and better things, but damn.

It's tough when you have a HTPC and want to keep up with the hardware decode of the latest formats. Back in the day you could just buy a very low end GPU when a new codec came out, but they don't even seem those anymore.

I wish these these things came with FPGA's that could be reflashed with new logic to keep up with the latest codecs.

It's tough when you have a HTPC and want to keep up with the hardware decode of the latest formats. Back in the day you could just buy a very low end GPU when a new codec came out, but they don't even seem those anymore.

I wish these these things came with FPGA's that could be reflashed with new logic to keep up with the latest codecs.
I just gave up with keeping up with the codec's and just used what works for me. I still use MP3 or OGG for audio because they just work. Especially a big problem when I use Jellyfin and I want to use hardware encoding and there's a codec in a video that doesn't work.

For this reason right here is why H264 is still so wide spread. I basically just stick with nvenc, it does well enough.

This is a competitor for h264/h265, not a replacement for QuickSync hardware encoding right?

I just gave up with keeping up with the codec's and just used what works for me. I still use MP3 or OGG for audio because they just work. Especially a big problem when I use Jellyfin and I want to use hardware encoding and there's a codec in a video that doesn't work.
The great thing about going with CPU encoding is you don't have to worry about it from a support perspective and still CPU offers the best quality and compression out there.

I'm now on x265 on CPU which gives me 1.5 GB files at 4k and 10-bit color which is a big improvement from x264 8-bit color at 4GB. The thing about that I was on x264 for God ... 5 years or something. I'd say considerably longer. So the move wasn't that bad especially if you create a script and just walk away.

Last edited:
This is a competitor for h264/h265, not a replacement for QuickSync hardware encoding right?

This is Quicksync hardware encoding of a brand-new format.

Really, how retarded have all of you become, after two years of Covid hardware delays? THIS is the replacement for VP9 from Google, hoping to compete with h.266.

Really, how retarded have all of you become, after two years of Covid hardware delays? THIS is the replacement for VP9 from Google, hoping to compete with h.266.
H266 will result in a file of the same visual quality while being some 25-35% smaller, at the expense of taking some 6x longer to encode and 2x longer to decode.
But H266 was released 2 years after AV1 was, AV1 compares far more similarly to H265 than it does H264.
But yes it is heavily based on VP9.

But encode we much....we must...and will much...about...that....be committed.

in exchange for having a lower cost of encode, it's the highest energy of playback for any modern codec (and also has a much ligher die-sppace when adding hardware-acceleration)

I see you may also be a fan of Al Sharpton's poetic artistic and completely unintentionally unintelligible teleprompter reading (or at least what he would call reading).

Back