Intel Launches 8 New Desktop And Mobile CPUs

HardOCP News

[H] News
In addition to introducing a half-dozen mobile CPUs, Intel has released two new desktop processors that do not include integrated graphics.

Two new desktop processors are Core i3-6098P and Core i5-6402P. Both model numbers have a suffix "P", that was used to signify the lack of integrated GPU in older generations of Core i3/i5 products. There is a good chance that it still means just that. The Core i3-6098P has 2 Hyper-threaded CPU cores, operating at 3.6 GHz. Its official price is $117, which is on a par with the Core i3-6100. The i5-6402P is a quad-core processor with 6 MB of last level cache. The CPU runs at 2.8 GHz, or 100 MHz faster than the Core i5-6400. The i5 processor is priced at $182.

That site doesn't list SDP or TDP so you hafta go someplace else like ark to find out. :(

As for dual core stuff, there's no competition so why bother? And anyway, even though I like the idea of more cores, I don't wanna see them at the expense of long battery life.

How long has 2 core chips been i7s?
What's the tpd of all the chips the moble chips cost 2x as much and are much slower and less cores, i would hope they at least have 2/3 less power draw

How long has 2 core chips been i7s?

A very long time for mobile processors. However when I purchased my Skylake laptop last month I did get one with the processor I have waited over a year for. 4 core / 8 threaded skylake.

These are likely binned processors with defective gpu sides. If you dont need quicksync then these could be an ookay value. But 3.6Ghz sounds high for an i3...maybe 1.6?

So that's 859 Skylake SKUs now.

I feel like that's probably a lot.

would be cool if they made one or two cores absolute beasts, then the rest just whatever.

would help with games and many applications.

would be cool if they made one or two cores absolute beasts, then the rest just whatever.

Turbo can somewhat implement this. Well at least in mobile processing the difference between base and turbo in desktop processors is not that much these days.

Should I be impressed? I'm not for some reason. Seems like the law of Mediocrity rules more than Moore's Law.

I used to build a new machine every 6-12 months so I had the fastest. I now haven't bothered to upgrade in over 3 years. I just update the Video Card every now and then.

Processors have been sooooo boring the last few years.

Should I be impressed? I'm not for some reason. Seems like the law of Mediocrity rules more than Moore's Law.

I used to build a new machine every 6-12 months so I had the fastest. I now haven't bothered to upgrade in over 3 years. I just update the Video Card every now and then.

QFT

Considering a nearly 7 year old OC'ed 920 is still a perfectly valid performance CPU, yes.

Well, that's because we don't need the increasing parallelism that Moore's Law enable as much on CPU side as we do on GPU.

Due to the nature of the workload, GPU scales with the number of cores we can cramp in. The more we can have, the more performance we'll see.

But more importantly, we need that extra performance, and so we can appreciate it. With new display tech such as high refresh rate and 4k resolution arriving, we need faster GPU to power them.

On the CPU front, the number of cores are ever increasing too, similar to GPU. We have 24 cores Xeon now. But cost aside, we don't need these improvements because we simply do not have the application to take advantage of these advancements.

Hypothetically, if games in the future can take advantage of more cores, then I'm sure we'll find a 10 core Broadwell exciting. But until that happens, we will not have much interest in such advancement although they are there simply because we can't take advantage of it.

Desktop sales are surpassed more and more by all kind of devices, so Intel is less compelled to invest in development and production here.

Back