Intel Kaby Lake i7-7700K CPU Overclocking Follow-up @ [H]

Nice read, thanks for the follow up!
However, at this point I want some alt-news! Tell me it does 5.5 out of the box with 4000 ram dangit !!! :p Tell me what I want to hear, this truth stuff blows! *sarcasm*

Hi all. Thinking about getting one 7700k... Wich are common temps (h100 or a high en cooler) without delid at 4.8 or 5ghz?

Nicely done - basically proving that the IMC (or maybe the northbridge section) is one of the weak points to the chip, curious what the chip's temp is at the IMC region. Surely one is looking forward to chip failure due to electron creep if they run at 1.5V for extended period of time. Not familiar with the platform but the reducing of memory clock sure seems like an invitation to increase some volts to the IMC/NB portion of the chip (if this is possible).

4.9GHz @ 1.26v and memory @ 3000MHz; stable for 3 hours 25 mins using RealBench stress test. Also played a few hours of BF1 with no issues. The RealBench benchmark for h.264 seems less intense as the CPU usage fluctuates while the stress test keeps it pegged @ 100%.

5GHz failed @ 1.3v. I suspect I can do it with an extra .01 - .03 vcore. Temps @ 1.3v were peaking 86C. My 7700k is not delidded yet. Probably getting the delid kit here soon. Max vcore I'd be comfortable pushing is 1.35vcore and 80C after the delid.

Looks like I might have a good 7700k chip. :D

5Ghz @ 1.34 volts. Stable under Prime. Peak temp of 71c with my box fully closed (Corsair 330R) and a Noctua D15s cooler (single fan)
Ram @ 3200 cas 14

Did run it at 5.1Ghz & 1.39 volts, but the temps where hitting 80c, and it wasn't completely stable

Might try again in a week once the heat compound has had more time to seat, but the numbers look so good at 5Ghz I might just leave it there or see if I can drop the voltage a little more.

I would like to see Hardocp

use dolphin emulator or wii u CEMU emulator as a IPC benchmark to see what improvements we are seeing in emulation

Would like to see haswell i7 vs Kaby lake i7 at 4.9-5ghz

Any known batches to get a good chip? Also, is there any store that sells asking for batch number?

If you don't get a "golden sample" 80°C and more at 4.8 GHz and (near) thermal throttling at 5 GHz
Thanks for that, I'm planning on make a delid to a good sample, but need to try fist how it goes... Coming from a golden 2600k, need to get more into the matter. Also, was thinking about the board to install those chips, I guess a z270 rog should be a pick...
Thanks for the replys...

If you don't get a "golden sample" 80°C and more at 4.8 GHz and (near) thermal throttling at 5 GHz

I'm using a Noctua D15s cooler (single fan), and my 7700k was just under 80°C at 4.8 Ghz running prime95.
At 5Ghz I had to up the voltage too much to make it stable.

However, everything other than Prime95 ran fine at 5.0Ghz. So, I set the AVX Offset to 7 (this slows the processor then apps like Prime95 are using these power hungry instructions).

Now I have the clock at 5Ghz for most apps, and I can run Prime95 or other apps using AVX (slows down to 4.3 Ghz). Temps with prime95 running are in the low 70's.

Last edited:
Re: ASUS saying there are "no tricks" --
Wouldn't "AVX Offset" or the DRAM speed be a trick for getting the clock speed up?

If you don't care about as much about AVX Code you can get more frequency out of KBL..

Re: ASUS saying there are "no tricks" --
Wouldn't "AVX Offset" or the DRAM speed be a trick for getting the clock speed up?

If you don't care about as much about AVX Code you can get more frequency out of KBL..
You would be totally correct. To each his own.

Well, having to lower the DRAM speed by ~1000 MHz to gain an extra 100-200 MHz core clock ... I'm not so sure if it's worth it, especially considering the price premium you pay for 3600 MHz RAM compared to 2400/2666 MHz RAM.

Well, having to lower the DRAM speed by ~1000 MHz to gain an extra 100-200 MHz core clock ... I'm not so sure if it's worth it, especially considering the price premium you pay for 3600 MHz RAM compared to 2400/2666 MHz RAM.
Def seem to be in this scenario, question is if you tweak timings tighter enough is it a net win? Anyone know where I could find a metric that would show me what timings my Corsair 3600Mhz could do at 2666Mhz? :)

Def seem to be in this scenario, question is if you tweak timings tighter enough is it a net win? Anyone know where I could find a metric that would show me what timings my Corsair 3600Mhz could do at 2666Mhz? :)

Quick n dirty way is to set it to your brand's comparable 2666mhz memory and set your 3600 to those settings.

Quick n dirty way is to set it to your brand's comparable 2666mhz memory and set your 3600 to those settings.

That will work, though nowdays the binning on RAM chips is much more granular than ~ 5 years ago and he ll be probably pretty far off.

Make sure your CPU overclock is rock solid, before you start fiddeling with the RAM or go back to stock, otherwise you might end up wasting your time.

2nd step is to open CPUz "SPD" tab and check if Corsair has programmed the chips with other profiles, that might fit better for your scenario.

If that is not the case I would personally start with 15-15-15-28 (CR 1T for 2 dimms; 2T for 4 dimms) on the main timings @ 1.35V. Judging from the DDR4 reviews I ve seen, "every" 3600 MHz kit should be able to do that at 2666 MHz. From there it's a step by step procedure. Looking for reviews of your specific kit might also give you an indication where 'll end up. But keep in mind that manufacturers like to send out "golden samples" to review sites and that the motherboard and BIOS version play a much bigger role when it comes to Mem-OC compared to CPU-OC.

When it comes to secondary let alone tertiary timings I 've no idea, for that you 'll have to find in depth guides on the web.

Got my delid kit yesterday and very happy with the results.

IBT @ Max level resulted in a max peak temp of 73C. Averaged more around 70C. This is @ 5GHz (1.29v in UEF) 1.296v in Windows.

While gaming I see high 50's low 60's. Before I was peaking low 70's in BF1 conquest.

EDIT:
Not using AVX offset or LLC. Voltage set to manual everything else auto/default.

EDIT 2: This same test pushed 89C pre delid. Pretty good drop in temps.

Last edited:
Back