Intel Kaby Lake i7-7700K CPU Overclocking Follow-up @ [H]

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by FrgMstr, Jan 26, 2017.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Intel Kaby Lake i7-7700K CPU Overclocking Follow-up - Last week we shared our overclocking results with our retail purchased Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake processor. We then took the Integrated Heat Spreader off, replaced the Thermal Interface Material and tried again for 5GHz with 3600MHz memory and failed. This time, less RAM MHz and more core voltage!

Folterknecht likes this.
  2. JNavy89GT

JNavy89GT [H]ard|Gawd

nice.
    Will be interesting to see articles where gaming experience/benches are shown with kaby lake and different ram speeds. I run a skylake 6700k@4.6ghz and 32gb Gskill 2400Mhz ram clocked at about 2533mhz and was considering Kaby lake to hit the 5ghz mark, but may just hold out for Rizen to see if it's a POS or not. I do have a kit of 3000mhz ram in another system but it's only 16GB. Was hoping to reuse one of those kits in w/e system I stick with. If I'm suffering too much with the 2533mhz mem speed on kaby lake, vs a high mhz/$ kit, I may just sit still.

3. OmenemO

OmenemO Limp Gawd

Kyle, before you de-lid the 7700K could you please also include some sort of low profile (or even a "stock") cooler in your temperature tests, so that us SFF enthusiasts can get a good temperature comparison?

TheHobbyist and Folterknecht like this.
  4. Riccochet

Riccochet Off Topic Award

5. Riccochet

Riccochet Off Topic Award

I'm really interested in the 7600k review.

6. FrgMstr

I don't even have an air cooler here to use for that currently. It is running at 76C package temp with high per core temps being 84/80/80/79 on a 3.5 hour full load run. But lets keep this discussion for the next article on the 7600K. :)

OmenemO likes this.
  7. VulcaN

VulcaN [H]ard|Gawd

This followup got me thinking, when you see the binned chips on silicone lottery it says tested at 2400MHz... thats pretty low too.

I was going to pick up a ddr4 4000 module but now it looks like most chips wont run 5Ghz with memory that fast :/

8. STrooperTK421

STrooperTK421 Limp Gawd

You know, this might be a good time to dust off one of those phase change coolers and see what happens...

Lazorz_Go_PewPew likes this.
  9. 460cidpower

460cidpower [H]Lite

Does the loss of higher memory frequencies even effect the real world performance?

TheHobbyist likes this.
  10. You benefit from higher memory speeds on graphics intense operations. (Reading and writing textures for 3D with the IGP) There are also a few benchmarks which are memory intensive. But nothing pratical.

In terms of gaming with a dedicated GPU, no not really that noticeable. Maybe a couple percentage points at most last I checked. (*I may be wrong about this as I'm working off memory, so take it with a grain of salt*)

11. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Guess I'll find out this weekend when I build my 7700K system :D
    Going for a quiet system (at least during email and web activity) as I'm tired of all the fan noise on my current system.

I'm using DDR4 3200 cas 14 ram, so I'll run the memory at that speed, and see how high I can take the CPU using a Noctua NH-D15S cooler.

Would love to see 5Ghz, but I'd be ok with 4.8Ghz.

FrgMstr likes this.
  12. VulcaN

VulcaN [H]ard|Gawd

13. JDanser

JDanser Limp Gawd

Wait, how many DIMM slots are occupied? If you have all of them full, did you guys bump VCCIO?

14. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Appreciate the follow up.

I've been running a new Kaby Lake build and I'm really enjoying it. Currently 5.0ghz at 1.38v with memory at 3000mhz.

15. Kor

Kor 2[H]4U

Kinda wanna pop my 4770k. My h110i gt broke the other month and I've been slacking on sending it back, I've been running my backup Shadow Rock Slim in the mean time and have obviously had to wind down the clocks. But really if a similar drop could be seen with a re-lid then maybe i'll just leave the be quiet kit on there since well... you know... it's quiet.

16. Olle P

Olle P Limp Gawd

I don't really get these prts:
    For an economical build a Core i3-7350K should do.

Don't you mean go up to 2666MHz (an 11% overclock above the standard 2400MHz, same level of OC as the CPU)?

17. pfc_m_drake

pfc_m_drake [H]ard|Gawd

I'm so pissed that Asetek stopped issuing CPU socket upgrades for the Vapochill LS back in the 775 days.
    Kept mine around forever and finally chucked it 6 months ago after realizing that it was never going to be a viable turnkey solution ever again.
    Oh what could have been...

18. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

Sounds like we need a comparison of what happens when you turn off hyperthreading in a highly threaded game like Doom, BF4, BF1, etc.

19. Folterknecht

Folterknecht n00b

Though I'm not a SFF/HTPC enthusiast I'm also interested in those kind of results. Maybe Kyle can use his 7600K for that.

20. MrAhlefeld

MrAhlefeld [H]Lite

What ??? you chucked a Vapochill LS ???? I could have modded that to fit well allmost any CPU :facepalm: sorry I just feel bad when hardware that nice is chucked

21. pfc_m_drake

pfc_m_drake [H]ard|Gawd

I know it could have been modded.
    To be honest, it had sat unused for six (6) years - and had been moved via tractor-trailer transporter from NY to FL. Unknown if it still worked - or how well. I basically got tired of looking at it. Could have sold it for $200, but shipping would have been a pain and costly. Ultimately I decided it was just more trouble than it was worth.

If it makes you feel better, I didn't 'chuck' it - I recycled it at a local facility :)

22. MrAhlefeld

MrAhlefeld [H]Lite

No worries I understand why you parted with it, just thought it would have been fun to mod it.
    I mod everthing when needed, and when not needed.
    Current project is lapping and delidding my i7 2700K, just delidded a i5 2500 as a trail run.

pfc_m_drake likes this.
  23. FrgMstr

My experience is that bumping that has made no real difference in overclocking on KB.

JDanser likes this.
  24. Incontentia Buttocks

Incontentia Buttocks [H]Lite

My Sandy Bridge 2500K started out stable at 1.42V and 4.6Ghz. Ended up at 4.2GHz. Pushing Krabby Lake to 1.4somethingV to reach an arbitrary frequency is like waxing your race car to hit a slightly higher speed. Except in this case you're talking about 155 vs 152 FPS in Handbrake...so why trash a good CPU that in the end won't make a hill of beans difference in the "real world"...except to lighten your wallet when you have to replace your CPU?

Sure, my new 6700K can get pushed to 4.8GHz at 1.42V and under 75C, or I can run at 4.6Ghz with a VCC of 1.32v and top out at 62C max...and have that same speed next year.

Do a cost benefit analysis BEFORE you chase the unicorn.

noko, Folterknecht and FrgMstr like this.
  25. Riptide_NVN

Riptide_NVN [H]ard|Gawd

Get outta here with that practicality BS.

Many of us who are looking to upgrade from Sandy/Ivy and use our systems for games and general usage won't see much benefit from our apps. We're doing it because it's been a long time. And because nerd.

26. Shmee

Shmee [H]ard|Gawd

I loved Asus's response.

27. Silent.Sin

Silent.Sin Gawd

Bet you could have gotten 5GHz/3600 if you had switched to cheese.

When you lowered your memory clocks did the latency timings improve? I haven't noticed a huge benefit from adding extra bandwidth except synthetic scores but reducing latency can make things feel a bit more snappy as far as every day tasks go. If the 7600K also needs the memory clocks lowered, could you provide at least one benchmark across the different speeds to show if it impacts performance?

28. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Keep up the good work, Kyle. I look forward to your 7600k delidding.

29. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

What a bummer. Let's say the average OC ends up being 4.8-4.9ghz, up from 4.5ghz base, that ends up only being a 7% overclock. Maybe Cannonlake will be better...

30. Incontentia Buttocks

The primary reason I OC'd my 6700K was this in the Intel specs:
    Processor Base Frequency 4.00 GHz
    Max Turbo Frequency 4.20 GHz <<-- SINGLE CORE

My 6700K is stable at 4.6GHz across all 4 cores, with HT and RAM at 3000Mhz.

Similarly for 7700K in the Intel specs:
    Processor Base Frequency 4.20 GHz
    Max Turbo Frequency 4.50 GHz <<-- SINGLE CORE

Assuming a similar 10% OC on Kaby would have a 4.9GHz turbo freq across all 4 cores, not 4.5 on ONE. So it's not trivial. Chasing the addition .1 kinda is.

My original 2500K system was purchased to overclock, and because I was principally interested in gaming an i5 w/o HT was just peachy. If you're just into games, wtf do you need the 7700K for? As the article points out, a guaranteed stable OC at 5Ghz (or better) is a tradeoff that basically means you're running a 7600K at 7700K prices.

Like Asus points out- it's mostly the Vcore and cooling...and the higher the Vcore, the sooner you'll see CPU degradation at the silicon level, regardless of cooling.

Let's see what Ryzen will do.

31. Incontentia Buttocks

32. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

Or, you build the system and immediately list it for sale like I've always done. Takes me 1 afternoon to build a system. And that's with several breaks lol. In my mind everyone should be doing this, make a quick $300 - $500 profit.

You can always drop in another CPU after a few years if you are that in love with the system. You do know some people are not broke right?

I can see this argument being made against a $1000 dollar Intel CPU or a $650 GTX 1080 but for a $300ish cpu that you can find used in 6 or 8 months for $250 or less or even less in 2018 to me is not that big of a deal.

There is not one person here that doesn't want that elusive 5.0Ghz clock speed. We've been chasing it for awhile now. You do understand that right? 1 or 2 frames per second is absolutely beside the point but I suspect you knew this already.

I clocked my old 5820K from 4.4ghz to 4.7ghz and I gained 11 or 12 fps. That's no lie. I'm sure 5.0ghz gives a nice boost to FPS over 4.5ghz. Anyone?

To me, this is kinda living scared. If I did that, I wouldn't do have the crap I do in life including something as silly as overclocking my CPU.

Full disclosure, and I can't believe I am admitting this because it goes against my own argument but I did kill one CPU in recent years. Ironically it was a 2600k that died on me after several days of finding the chips breaking point overclocking. lol .. But that didn't stop me. Maybe the 2600k wasn't the best chip to push? Who knows.

Peter2k and Incontentia Buttocks like this.
  33. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Well I just strapped in the 7700k and set her right to 5.0GHz at 1.35v, XMP 3200 enabled. Two straight hours of BF1 under the belt, no crashes. No de-lid, 82 degrees max on Core#3. Cautiously optimistic I have a good chip here!

edit: Just passed ROG RealBench half hour stress test! Core#1 did hit 91°C though, too toasty?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  34. Peter2k

Peter2k Limp Gawd

I still love playing Mechwarrior online
    but it must be THE most unoptimized game that relys on IPC and high clock rates

sure I gained fps
    especially minimum, something around 20 or so going from 4.5 Skylake to 5.2 kaby (both i5)

however
    it's the magical number :cool:

it's kinda the same reason why I spent more money on black sleeved cables

or why I like a board with a shroud, why I went with a kraken X62 and why I most likely end up replacing the fan in my PSU :D

it's a hobby

hell overclocking is easy these days
    the things people did (on a more regular basis) :rolleyes:

I've seen people using radiators out of old cars from the junk heap
    ugh and making sure condensation doesn't reach you're cpu running water chillers, peltiers or those vapor things

chasing that magical number is a lot of fun these days
    and maybe easier then ever

ehh
    ok it'll degrade in a few years, maybe
    haven't settled on a voltage yet
    really itching to get 5.3 or 5.4 stable :rolleyes:

though I'd most likely settle for 5.2

hell maybe AMD has something beyond great with a Ryzen 2 by then

35. FrgMstr

Not if it is still working. :)

36. OmenemO

OmenemO Limp Gawd

Whoops, I meant the 7600K. Hopefully Kyle knows what I meant as it's obviously too late for the before delidding thermal tests to be carried out on the 7700K now.

FrgMstr likes this.
  37. Trepidati0n

Trepidati0n [H]ardForum Junkie

Kyle...

The game I play the most is Factorio right now (with 0.15 coming out, probably a lot more). The game is single threaded and very sensitive to RAM speed. Based upon this I should be able to get a better performance (e.g. higher OC and higher RAM speeds) with the 7600k...correct?

I would much rather take the savings and dump it into other areas.

38. Kelter

Kelter Limp Gawd

Nice! What cooler are you using if you don't mind my asking? I just ordered everything for a new 7700k build along with the new gskill trident z 3600 rgb memory, which now I am getting a little worried about. I went with a Liquid Freezer 120, so hoping that will be enough. If not, maybe I will need to de-lid..

39. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

I am using a Corsair H100i (240mm radiator) & Gelid GC Extreme thermal paste. My H100i is the original version so the results would probably be better using the v2 or some other more recent AIO.

40. Thanks, Kyle.

I may not have the means to buy anything right now, I still want to know what's going on.

It seems like just yesterday that people were going crazy over the fact that CPUs had finally hit 1 GHz..

Peter2k and FrgMstr like this.