Intel Kaby Lake i7-7700K CPU De-Lid & Re-Lid Results @ [H]

did the cpu lid have to be glued back on or could the retention bracket have held it in place? did you only glue it back on because of the tim you used?

btw, the like on the tim you used doesnt work.

That was a whole lot of effort for not much result.

WRONG! You may have not reached your beloved 5Ghz plateau, but I now know it won't be a waste of time to delid to have a HUGE decrease in temps. I adore a low maintenance (fans) and quiet running machine that is still fast as hell. Good work as usual Kyle/Steve & the Posse.

Kyle, thanks for de-lidding and breaking dies so we don't have to.. and then trying to justify the expense to our spouses!! Apparently your wife is MUCH more forgiving of such things than mine is!!
Don't know about you guys, but that's why I thank the [H] haha! I also haven't overclocked since my AMD Tbird/Tbred/Palomino/A64Venice, in fact I've never OC'ed an intel machine what wasn't my own rig, I'm a mega-noob. In fact I've disabled some cores and disabled HT to control the heat on my current LGA1366 (don't judge me I'm poor). I didn't build this machine, but who the hell put one of these hot-as-hell procs in a Shuttle SFF, ugh.

God I hope Ryzen is good...

Ditto.

Honestly, its a bigger temp difference than I was expecting but am I the only one who isn't shocked by the fact the OC didn't go up? It seems like most of these chips have been limited more by their responsiveness to voltage than temps, and thats been the case for a while. Tj max is 100C on this chip... if you're below that value I'm not sure you would really expect the OC to go up unless you're giving it more voltage at the same temp. i.e. you could only get to 1.3v before hitting Tj max, now you've reduced the temps at 1.3v so you can go to 1.4v before hitting Tj max. Of course this has issues for chip longevity, but just lowering the temp by itself doesn't do much for stability (if anything) in my experience.

That's a massive decrease in temps. I'm thinking about de-lidding my proc now. I'm not chasing OC, but I'm always chasing lower temps. German don't ever install A/C in homes/apts, so you're stuck dealing with the heat during the summer months. My system hates that, so I had to go watercooling to keep things down.

Thats not how heat works. It doesn't matter that core temps dropped 25%... all that means is that the transfer of the 100+W of heat from the CPU to the cooler (and ultimately the air) is more efficient. That heat will still warm up the air the same amount. The only way to reduce the heat in the room is to reduce the wattage being generated. Changing the TIM has no impact on this... in fact, no cooling system has an impact on this at all. Watercooling would be worse because you are actually adding the wattage of the pump to the amount of power that needs to be dissipated as heat (though it will be small)

The CPU did 5GHz-3000MHz overnight RealBench stress test successfully. That said, I don't know if it would previously or not.

I scaled the memory down to 2666MHz and tried 5.1 and get an immediate BSOD with any load at 1.36v vCore.

I think I am going to go crazy on the voltage and see what happens.

LOL! 5.1GHz/2666MHz for 1 minute screen cap, 4 minutes as of typing this.

5.1-2666.png

9 minutes at 1.45v 5.1/2666.

Attachments

• 5.1-2666.png
    5.1-2666.png
    374.7 KB · Views: 72
The MSI z270 automated 5.2ghz mb profile/preset dials in over 1.5v.
Yeah, I saw that on the last MSI board through my hands as well. Scared me because at the time I still only had the one good 5GHz CPU that I don't want to be abusing voltage-wise.

Yea, I was scratching my head at that voltage too. I wonder how they got that past the bean counters?

Potato? ;)
Potato.png

1.300v VCORE (Adaptive) highest HWiNFO64 has recorded in the past five days was 1.389 VID, but I had it set to 1.320v in the BIOS and backed off slightly by .02v VCORE in Windows. Using a Corsair H115i for cooling.

It pretty much instantly locks when I set it to 5.2Ghz at 1.35v and I don't want to bump it up much higher.

Having four sticks of DDR4-3466 installed seems to have it running hotter by ~3-8C hotter than two stick of DDR4-3000, but my room is also a bit warmer, so I don't know.

Great fine and wonderful.

You got it stable enough to read the CPU.

How's it do in actual benchmarks that stress the CPU?

I have been really tempted to do this to my 6700K but just haven't pulled the trigger. Mainly I don't want to buy a delid block.

I really have to stop being so damn lazy!

I have been really tempted to do this to my 6700K but just haven't pulled the trigger. Mainly I don't want to buy a delid block.

I really have to stop being so damn lazy!

Find members in your area. I've posted before for the Socal area. I'd think ppl will be very willing to help. It takes just a few minutes to do too so nothing hard.

It literally BSOD'd while saving this screen cap at 37 min. 5.1/2666/1.44v

5.1-2666.png

That was a whole lot of effort for not much result.

Reducing temperatures by 25% seems like a pretty big result to me, even if it didn't net an overclock gain. I was on the fence about whether or not I would de-lid, but this article gives me hope that there'll be room for significant temperature improvements in my pending ITX setup.

Is there any chance you've got before and after temperatures with a low profile air cooler?

Okay, even the most expensive "enthusiast" TIM runs about $0.25 to $0.50 an application.

While, at scale, that adds significant cost to Intel's bottom line, bumping the individual CPU price a buck or ten hurts nothing in the overall scheme of things...

And, if they're buying (or making) it in bulk, I'm betting they can realize a cost reduction even from there...

If you can bare to watch Linus... lol, gains are very small.

I don't mind watching Linus as entertainment, he's a funny guy. But his methods are a bit questionable, which leaves the results... also a bit questionable. Plus stock fan so there's only so much improvement you can get with that. Just for giggles, I checked to see if anyone had replaced the intel tim with NT-H1, and someone over at anandtech forums did on a oc'd i7-3770k (way back in '12). They were showing results of a 20 degree delta using a Corsair H100. So I dunno whether Linus's poor results are from stock cooling, or Linus's application method, or just crap paste (I don't think he mentioned what he actually applied there), or if there's a significant difference between the stock tim used in '12 vs the current stock tim intel uses.

I don't mind watching Linus as entertainment, he's a funny guy. But his methods are a bit questionable, which leaves the results... also a bit questionable. Plus stock fan so there's only so much improvement you can get with that. Just for giggles, I checked to see if anyone had replaced the intel tim with NT-H1, and someone over at anandtech forums did on a oc'd i7-3770k (way back in '12). They were showing results of a 20 degree delta using a Corsair H100. So I dunno whether Linus's poor results are from stock cooling, or Linus's application method, or just crap paste (I don't think he mentioned what he actually applied there), or if there's a significant difference between the stock tim used in '12 vs the current stock tim intel uses.

Yea lol, his videos are always cringe worthy.

Bets anyone, if kyle goes for the gusto and hits 1.5v?

He should, I don't see why not. Also quick note for everyone here: Just because kyle got a big decrease in temps with delid doesn't mean you will. It's like the small print "results not guaranteed."

Man, I hope Ryzen kicks serious ass when it comes out. Screw Intel and their shitty TIM. They seriously can't spend an extra few pennies to give us something that isn't completely terrible?

Do you even need to ask this? Look at the utter crap stock cooler design Intel has been using for 10+ years.

I always heard it was the adhesive causing problems not the TIM.
23C is a big difference... Do you believe Intel is using toothpaste? Compared to dozens of video card manufacturers whose re-paste makes almost no difference (typically less than 5C).

RTV may be ok for stuff like this but I refuse to touch the junk for automotive use.
I use it as per the manual on the four corners of the oil pan on the car. Steel reusable gasket.

Maybe someone already said this and I didn't catch it -- but 91 °C is 364.150 K, and 68 °C is 341.150 K. So the decrease in temperature is ~6.7% (alternatively, the new T is about 94% of the old T), rather than the "25.28%" quoted in your writeup. This is not just a pedantic point, because the absolute temperature scale is the one which we can use to relate to the underlying physical properties of the system, like heat.
While that is true, Kyle points out in another post that ambient temperature is what we should be basing this on.

Any chance you'll test it lidless with one of those EK shims and a water block?

It would be cool (no pun intended) to see how low it can go without the heat spreader.

If my GPU with a water block is any indication, the answer is "pretty damned low".

My Pascal Titan fully overclocked can be kept below 34C at all times, if I want to turn the fans up high enough.

Maybe someone already said this and I didn't catch it -- but 91 °C is 364.150 K, and 68 °C is 341.150 K. So the decrease in temperature is ~6.7% (alternatively, the new T is about 94% of the old T), rather than the "25.28%" quoted in your writeup. This is not just a pedantic point, because the absolute temperature scale is the one which we can use to relate to the underlying physical properties of the system, like heat.

Yeah, that is all good and well, but what we really care about is the reduction in Delta T (Core temp - ambient temp) which will be the same in either Celsius or Kelvin.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
I would like to see the re-lidded processor ran with a standard Cooler Master Hyper 212 air-cooled heatsink just to see if it helps much in that situation as well.

Has anyone tried ditching the IHS and using a thin piece of copper instead?
If the current IHS is like the old P4 IHS, it's actually made of copper with a thin outer layer of some other metal. You can actually carve off pieces with an x-acto knife.

Any chance you'll test it lidless with one of those EK shims and a water block?

It would be cool (no pun intended) to see how low it can go without the heat spreader.

If my GPU with a water block is any indication, the answer is "pretty damned low".

My Pascal Titan fully overclocked can be kept below 34C at all times, if I want to turn the fans up high enough.

Using a shim would replace one IHS for another.

Just made 2.5 hours at 5.1/2666/1.46v. (1.47v actual)

5.1-2666.png

Using a shim would replace one IHS for another.

Ah. Maybe I have misunderstood how those shims worked. I thought the shim sat around the core of the CPU with a hole in the middle exposing it directly to the water block, essentially just offloading some of the cooler weight and making it less likely that you chip your core.

Turns out they DO have kits for mounting on "naked" CPU's but they are just a set of different mounting screws and washers to account for the height difference of running naked.

Back