Intel Kaby Lake Desktop CPU Prices Leaked?

I say intel drops these chips and just releases 8/16 - 16/32 ones. For the price of the i7 at $349. Wishful dreaming I suppose. The i5 K price is still high by 15 dollars.

I say intel drops these chips and just releases 8/16 - 16/32 ones. For the price of the i7 at $349. Wishful dreaming I suppose. The i5 K price is still high by 15 dollars.

I would prefer a 4ghz 8C only option without HT, that would probably be the best gaming processor as each core will have dedicated resources, best of two worlds better single threaded performance and great multi-threaded performance for the game that can really use it.. 450$ and it will be a winner on each side you can look at it.

i7 7700K benchmarks are showing up in the GB4 database: core i7 7700k - Geekbench Search - Geekbench Browser

A higher clocked quad core with HT is more useful to the vast majority of people in most tasks than a 40-50W hotter and lower clocked 8c chip on a more expensive server platform.

Starting to feel like an old man over here with my 3770.

After 4 generations, I should be able to expect a 25% increase or what?

I would prefer a 4ghz 8C only option without HT, that would probably be the best gaming processor as each core will have dedicated resources, best of two worlds better single threaded performance and great multi-threaded performance for the game that can really use it.. 450$ and it will be a winner on each side you can look at it.

Agree, 8C no HT option would be the best performance/cost solution that would be quite relevant core amount for quite a few years for other than resource heavy server usage. HT adds to heat and overclocking difficultiness, 8 real cores would be better than 4 cores 4 HT ones.

I'd personally gladly see an i5 K option with 6C no ht and i7 with 8C no HT if price is right. For me 8 (real)+8(virtual) doesn't sound like a very useful setting because that kind of core amount is still not sufficiently used in barely any scenarios and then with 8 virtual cores the gains will be significantly smaller still, it's not worth it.

To possibly gain a very slight amount in for example video encoding with 8+8 HT config for example it would need like 64GB ram minimum as well, not really interested in getting that amount ram for now, it's max 32GB for me today.

Last edited:
Me waiting on a 6+ core version of their mainstream CPU.

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

I'll upgrade next Spring to the 7700K. I need an upgrade, and it'll be a good time. 2600K is fine, but when I use my son's PC, mine feels like a dinosaur.

Price is as expected. I would have liked a speed increase, but I'll take it as is. Otherwise, I'll be waiting until 2020 for an upgrade.

Pentium G4620 is listed as 2 cores/4 threads. Is this the first hyperthreaded Pentium since they started with the "Core" branding? Might make sense because there is only one regular-power i3 model listed, and it's 4GHz. That's nice. The ridiculous cost inflation for 0.1GHz steps up in the i3 line made all of those models pointless (except for the least expensive).

Me waiting on a 6+ core version of their mainstream CPU.

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

The i7-6800K, 5820K, 4930K and the 3930K, don't know what you are waiting for, these are all desktop CPUs. I think what you are waiting for is sub $300 six core CPUs.

The i7-6800K, 5820K, 4930K and the 3930K, don't know what you are waiting for, these are all desktop CPUs. I think what you are waiting for is sub $300 six core CPUs.
I said mainstream, not "desktop". I'd like to be able to get into a 6 core or 8 core CPU without spending the extra cash on the workstation chipset/socket when I don't really need most of those features.

I said mainstream, not "desktop". I'd like to be able to get into a 6 core or 8 core CPU without spending the extra cash on the workstation chipset/socket when I don't really need most of those features.

You can get mobos for 120-130 bucks before looking for sales or rebates, even less if you have a MC close, or do you require $60 mobos? Bring a 6 core to the same socket and it's going to cost the same, mobo and ram can be had at the same price, unless looking at bottom barrel mobos for the "mainstream" socket.

True dat. I was quite happy with my modest 2500K OC + GTX 970 then received a Dell Precision with the 6700mobile at work...and ran Handbrake on it and found it was 88 fps vs 55 fps on HD video. This made me look around at the various chips available and it came down to the 6700 vs 6800 and while the 6800 was faster in Handbrake by a few percent, the difference in cost for MBD & CPU made me "settle" for a 6700K...that runs 4.6GHz OC on all 4 cores @ 1.32 VCore - 70 C max temp on air (Reeven Justice).

Handbrake? 132 fps vs 88 vs 55. I also noticed I no longer experienced any laggy moments loading in a new game level in Titanfall 1.

Overall for photo & video editing the 6700K has been a terrific improvement over the i5-2500K.

True dat. I was quite happy with my modest 2500K OC + GTX 970 then received a Dell Precision with the 6700mobile at work...and ran Handbrake on it and found it was 88 fps vs 55 fps on HD video. This made me look around at the various chips available and it came down to the 6700 vs 6800 and while the 6800 was faster in Handbrake by a few percent, the difference in cost for MBD & CPU made me "settle" for a 6700K...that runs 4.6GHz OC on all 4 cores @ 1.32 VCore - 70 C max temp on air (Reeven Justice).

Handbrake? 132 fps vs 88 vs 55. I also noticed I no longer experienced any laggy moments loading in a new game level in Titanfall 1.

Overall for photo & video editing the 6700K has been a terrific improvement over the i5-2500K.

I hear ya, I might go 7700K from a i5-4670K @ 4.3GHz (or AMD Zen.............) as long as it's 90% garantueed to overclock to like 4.8GHz or so at least. Even if Cannonlake on the paper sounds like a much more exciting upgrade, it's just too far away, I need to speed up this daily video encoding routine ASAP even if gain is not groundbreaking but I still think for me the upgrade is worthwhile. :) I'm much more in need of a CPU perf boost than GPU. I upload videos to YouTube in less than a minute with 100Mbit fibre but when encoding a short video for like 18 - 35 mins it feels like I'm still in stoneage!

The 7700K looks appealing to me, I might finally retire my 2600K.

I still see no reason to upgrade my i5 4670k at 4.6 Ghz. It's not holding me back. Probably good for another 2-3 years.

Back