Intel "J" CPU's and the Dustbuster

AuxNuke

Gawd
Is it just me or are the stock intel heatsinks on the 540J (and other J models) louder then a jet taking off? :eek:

*Hopes his hsf is not defective*

ive got a 540 (not J) and that fan was loud

bought the bracket to use my zalman 7000cu heatsink and it dropped as few degs and alot of noise

can get mine to overclock worth a damn on my 915 board

so im using the max stock settings @ cas 2-2-2 and so on

Think about this: It goes up to 5000+ rpm when the core temp gets close to the threshold.

Replace the whole stock cooler with either Silent 775 from Thermaltake or the Zalman Cu7700/7000. They give you lower temps and less noise. I tried both and the Zalman was even quiter with its 2000 top fan speed. But Silent 775 cools better with a tiny bit louder/faster fan spin.

Actually I bought the Arctic Cool Freezer 7 and that has been remarably quiet compared to the stock cooler, not to mention much better temps :)

Good to know its not just my cpu!

this what your stick POS looks like?

775.jpg

I'ts not just you. I listened to one at the local computer store, and had no qualms whatsoever on spending the extra $$$ on the Zalman 7700cu. My stock cooler is still in the box, with a virgin thermal pad. Overclocking or not, I have no need for horrenously loud fans, which is why I have 4 120mm fans in my tower that are all 2000 RPM or less. Tho the Zalman @ 2000 RPM is noticable, just not a dustbuster.

Yeah thats what that piece of shit looks like! Does intel actually think that these fans are effective? I mean sanity usually comes before performance, right?

Stock cooler actually gets the job done. it most likely keeps the temps under control but not a good control. Considering the dimention of the the stock heat sink being significantly smaller than, say the Zalman 7700Cu, it needs a high speed fan to compensate. Since the core temp could easily get to a ridiculous high point, The fan has too spin like crazy to prevent the chip from burning. Im using Slient 775 plus the Vcore control to tame the heat.
What a difference!

What kind of temps are you getting with the stock cooler? I was using a gigabyte 3D Cooler cause it was the only 775 hsf I could get at a local store and my temps were around 39-42c idle. My experience with the new E0's is that they run way cooler. My 478 prescott had about a 10c higher idle.

Back