Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7-4960X IPC and OCing Review @ [H]

I guess I will, Its hard not upgrading!! This 2600k is the best CPU I've ever had.

If you can stomach buying a X79 board for a IB-E chip and then a X99 board and DDR4 memory for a Haswell-E chip... than by all means go ahead and do it. But if you want to do the smart money/performance thing, hold out for Haswell-E.

I'm surprised GRID 2 hasn't made it's way into the gaming CPU benchmark rotation. It's not very GPU limited and has great multi core support, on top of that it supports AVX usage.

If you can stomach buying a X79 board for a IB-E chip and then a X99 board and DDR4 memory for a Haswell-E chip... than by all means go ahead and do it. But if you want to do the smart money/performance thing, hold out for Haswell-E.

^ +1 This..

Personally, i dont think this has anything new or nice to offer. I personally have a 4.8ghz gulftown....and yeah i dont see any reason to get this for several reasons. First off, next year (i think its next year) the haswell-e update is supposed to sport ddr4. Also, Haswell for the 2011 socket set is not supposed to be upgradeable for sandy or ivy bridge. Also, i guess im also hoping for native PCI-E 3.0 as well as more thunderboldt support as well and hopefully by then 4k is more prominent and either we have a newer DP standard (maybe thunderboldt could be running monitors?) or another standard (hopefully so we can run many monitors off 1 card)

I would think if your spending out for the high end upgradeability would be important to you. For x79 days seem numbered. I personally really wished X99 was released instead of ivy bridge-e

Just seem so much like like, "meh" as someone else said as well.

Yeah its nice....but not much to call home about....especially considering what were supposed to be in for on the next update.

One more thing......how come we dont have 8 core chips yet? AMD does.....yeah i know apps cant necessarily take advantage of it yeah etc etc.....but would be nice to see like a chip with more cores than 6.....seems we have been on 6 for a long time now.

Just out of curiosity, why no USB3?

X79 is still the hub chip, need a new 1 of those as well...I also see this as a win for enthusiasts who supported 2011 from the get go..Sure, there's the PCI-e 3 thing and the USB 3 thing but for MGpu 2011 seems the go..

Okay guys i need your input, I want to upgrade because ive been wanting to for a long time but i dont think i will see any noticeable difference in gameplay.
2600K at 4800Mhz, 16 gigs of ram running at 2133, 3 Evga 780s 1150/7000 in TRI-SLI, Moniter is a LG 29in UltraWide 2560X1080P
So i really want the native PCI express 3.0 and 6 cores, Im strictly gaming so my Brain is telling me to hold off 1 more Cycle for Haswell-E and just do a full upgrade then, What you think?

Use the BWAIN!!!! Really, the PCI-e 3 will get you a few frames, mainly due to your 3xSLI, The 2 extra real cores may get a little use, though I struggle to think of a title that would benefit from a 4.3, maybe up to 4.5 clock as opposed to your 4.8 current setup..@least the Haswell-e sounds like a real upgrade(DDR 4??), hopefully, so hold onto your $$$ and marvel @how good your current setup is!!! GL:):):)

Here is what I would do if I were you, Wait for people to start buying up 4930K and snag a 3930k at a steal of a price, then get a decen used X79 board as a few people will be no doubt be trying to get their hands on the X79 refresh boards. Then have a crap load of overclocking fun until Haswell-E comes out

Dear Intel,

What the hell is wrong with you? It FEELS like I'm been rocking a 6-core Westmere for decades now and I'm ready for an upgrade. You can't possibly convince me that I should drop $1500 for a new 4960X and motherboard when the improvements since Nelehem are incremental.

I have money-- don't you like money? I'm ready to hand it over but the deal is YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME (the paying customer) WHAT I WANT.

Why are you holding back on me? I've been a loyal consumer for years-- and I always come back, even after you tried to shit on my face with P4/Willamette.

But now? There is nothing to build. I haven't taken my computer apart in ages. I'm bored. And if I really wanted to I couldn't possibly justify paying 3x for a Xeon X5-- I have a family, kids to feed. Priorities.

So just let me have an 8 core K series for $555 and we'll call it good. Call me.

One more thing......how come we dont have 8 core chips yet? AMD does.....yeah i know apps cant necessarily take advantage of it yeah etc etc.....but would be nice to see like a chip with more cores than 6.....seems we have been on 6 for a long time now.

yup.. and AMD 8 cores lick a 4 cores intel ASS and ShT.... intel will not release an 8 core chip until AMD not show any competition to the Even actual 4 and 6 cores processors.

Here is what I would do if I were you, Wait for people to start buying up 4930K and snag a 3930k at a steal of a price, then get a decen used X79 board as a few people will be no doubt be trying to get their hands on the X79 refresh boards. Then have a crap load of overclocking fun until Haswell-E comes out

meh.. i wouldn't buy any used 3930K or 3960X, every single person who buy any of that chips will overclock to the sky, I would only buy one of that chip from a friend only if i know the processor was not pushed to high limits..

the only thing good i see in this Ivy-E its the fact that now the price market its displaced a lot for the sandy-E.. i could imagine prices of a new one 3930K cheaper than a 4770k..

Dear Intel,

What the hell is wrong with you? It FEELS like I'm been rocking a 6-core Westmere for decades now and I'm ready for an upgrade. You can't possibly convince me that I should drop $1500 for a new 4960X and motherboard when the improvements since Nelehem are incremental.

I have money-- don't you like money? I'm ready to hand it over but the deal is YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME (the paying customer) WHAT I WANT.

Why are you holding back on me? I've been a loyal consumer for years-- and I always come back, even after you tried to shit on my face with P4/Willamette.

But now? There is nothing to build. I haven't taken my computer apart in ages. I'm bored. And if I really wanted to I couldn't possibly justify paying 3x for a Xeon X5-- I have a family, kids to feed. Priorities.

So just let me have an 8 core K series for $555 and we'll call it good. Call me.
Well said.

Maybe haswell-e will show some promise. ddr4 and what ave you..thoug these IVYe seem to play around BLK alot more than sandy did.

Coming from a 2500k at 4.5GHz, I'm pretty disappointed- I really wanted to see these CPUs hit 5.0GHz with ease on proper cooling.

My concern is two-fold, though- realizing that multi-platform games in the very near future will have to be stupidly multi-threaded to make the most of these SoC's AMD has built for Sony and MS with 8-core tablet CPUs, the usefulness of >4 live cores (or >4 Bulldozer modules, for AMD) becomes readily apparent, as does the need for full x16/x16 PCIe 3.0 support for the GPUs.

With larger asset sets being generated to make use of the extra RAM in these consoles, not only are we going to want GPUs with more memory (from ~2GB average today to about ~6GB average this time next year, with ~8GB-12GB preferable, depending on the memory controller of the card), but we're also going to want as much bandwidth to each GPU as possible; while my 2GB GTX670's are far from underpowered at 1600p, I know that I'll be dialing back graphics settings by spring next year, and the 8x/8x PCIe 2.0 slots they're hooked up to the 2500k through will likely still be a limiting factor. I'll probably be alright frame-rate wise on Medium, but I may have to dial it back even more to make up for the stuttering that the lack of PCIe bandwidth could incur.

For me, an avid gamer and a photography enthusiast (and getting into video), I find that my 4.5GHz 2500k is just about my bottom limit, CPU wise. Moving to a six-core CPU makes sense, but so does getting full PCIe 3.0 support with all lanes open; and while I'd prefer to get a litany of native USB 3.0 and SATA3 ports, I can live without those if the PCIe lane availability is there, for sure; especially since I'm still mostly using spinners aside from a single SSD or two. I'm topping out my 2500k all the time now, whether I'm gaming (mostly BF3) or exporting photos in Lightroom or rendering a video, and I could really use the extra cores and IPC- even if I don't get a clockspeed boost.

And yeah, I'm also very interested in 4k, both from a gaming perspective and a content creation perspective. I'm shooting photos at 20MP and video at 2MP, and I could really use more desktop space and more definition- if they can get ~30" 4k60 monitors on the market with decent contrast, relatively deep blacks, good colors after calibration and low input lag and decently quick pixel response, they'll have a winner. Just give me 100mmx100mm VESA mounts, and I'll add it to my display array right quick :).

Last edited:
Guys what about me?

I have an Intel i3 2100 with Intel dh67bl mobo.

What upgrade path would you do?

I have an Intel i3 2100 with Intel dh67bl mobo.

What upgrade path would you do?

Well according to some people you have slower CPU than my overclocked E7200 at 3.2 because I was able to play Settlers 7 at playable Framerate and they don't.

My concern is two-fold, though- realizing that multi-platform games in the very near future will have to be stupidly multi-threaded to make the most of these SoC's AMD has built for Sony and MS with 8-core tablet CPUs, the usefulness of >4 live cores (or >4 Bulldozer modules, for AMD) becomes readily apparent,

Eh not really, there may be more but Jaguar isn't a high performance part, a high end 4 core machine can easily pull double duty with a different mapping for the same workload.

Kyle or someone who knows, I've read stuff about 'native PCI-E 3.0" on Ivy-E, does this mean it will be supported with Nvidia GPUs out of the box, or will you still have to apply the reg hack? I thought this was a X79 issue, and SB-E's were 'native PCI-E 3.0' too.

When are these chips on sale in the US?

Now, if you can survive FedEx.

But from the look of it, sales are really slow. They looks like sold 4-5 even when they started well before release date.

Now, if you can survive FedEx.

But from the look of it, sales are really slow. They looks like sold 4-5 even when they started well before release date.

Who has them? I'm probably just going to wait and see if 3930k start popping up used and snag one of those, I just bought a second X79 board and I need another CPU to fold with. Currently have a spicy Xeon in there but it only runs 1066 memory.

There will be an eight core haswell-e chip, next year. Or early 2015, if haswell-e gets delayed (rumors).

I'll believe it when I see it...Intel will probably cheap out again and to do another "high-end" 6 core for Haswell-E. And I'd be very surprised to see Haswell-E at any time in 2014...by the time Intel gets around to releasing it, I'd expect it to be mid to late 2015 (at the earlierst), with Broadwell probably appearing earlier in 2015. They have no reason to speed it along and every reason to delay it.

I cannot understand "enthusiasts". If intell kills X79 after one round of processors there would be an uproar. They do the logical thing and release an incrementally better chip with lower power consumption better IPC, native pci-e 3.0 and a MUCH better memory controller, and people still freak out and complain that haswell-e isnt here yet with ddr4 and all that jazz.
Just because haswell-e is using haswell technology dont get it confused with haswell on 1150. Haswell-e brings new features that need to be integrated on die, its an altogether different processor. One with technology that is not ready for prime time.

Quit passing quick judgment, wait for some real overclockers to get ahold of this thing. Lets see what the memory controller is capable of and lets see what clocks look like on an overclock oriented board like the rampage iv extreme with some good watercooling.
"Just Take it Easy Mannnnn"

So Intel decided to give us Ivy-E because they had the sudden desire to be benevolent? Not likely...they gave us Ivy-E because if they hadn't, they'd get nothing for the 10 and 12 core dies that are mostly defective. While Ivy-E is supposed to be a 6 core die, do you think for one minute that if Intel had a 12 core die with 6 defective cores that they'd hesitate to turn it into an i7? The 6 core die advertised today is a placeholder, nothing more, and wafers based on this die will likely only be run when there are insufficient defective Xeons to meet demand. The i7-49xx's and E5-1600 V2s that will be on the market will likely be a mixture of native 6 core dies and neutered 10 and 12 core dies, with no way to tell them apart (aside from delidding and inspecting the die itself).

You mention that Haswell's technology isn't ready for primetime? Seems it is...the LGA1150 chips have been out for months now. The only reason Intel has released them is to learn from them and correct issues they come across with them before releasing the Enterprise-grade version. Basically, they're using the mainstream market as guinea pigs. As for the improvements to Ivy-E...they are negligible. The IPC improvement is almost exactly offset by a reduced ability to overclock. The IMC is better, yes, but the actual impact of this improvement will be next to zero, as memory bandwidth isn't a problem for LGA2011 chips. Also, Sandy Bridge-E does have native PCI-E 3.0...Intel just couldn't be bothered to have it validated for any but the Xeon chips, which is fishy in itself. My guess is that they withheld validation of Sandy E's PCI-E 3.0 to maintain a marketing feature that they could attach to Ivy-E. My E5-1660 has native and validated PCI-E 3.0, as it was released 4 months after the equivalent i7, but it's based on the same C2 stepping as the i7-3970X and newer production i7-3960X and 3930Ks. No differrence other than Intel's official seal of approval. The real benefit with Ivy-E is the reduction in process size to permit the core count to increase significantly and a reduction in power comsumption at idle for racks of high core count servers. As there is no increase in core count for HEDT users, the main benefit is nullified. But Intel still has crap to get rid of at the end of the day and by releasing Ivy-E, they provide themselves a way to do this.

At the end of the day, Intel doesn't give a fiddler's fuck about the high-end user and is releasing this chip to give themselves a way to make a few bucks off of their defects, while giving themselves the option to run a few 6 core wafers when their Xeon yields are good. To be honest, I don't care...actually what they are doing makes good business sense.

All I want is the goddamn top bin 12 core Xeon's turbo multipliers and BCLK straps unlocked!!! I don't give a shit that they're $3k each...I'd personally take four for myself if they were unlocked...:mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Ivy-E is 6 core native, no disabled cores, IIRC.

In many cases yes, but do you think Intel would not disable 6 defective cores on a 12 core die if they had to? It probably won't happen often, but it's a possibility. Look at the Xeon E5-2643 V2. Six core CPU, 3.5GHz, 25MB L3 cache. Do you think this chip comes from an Ivy-E die? Nope...;)

Uhm, an Ivy-E that was a 6 cores disabled 12 core xeon would not be the same chip. CPUs have exact specifications, substituting a 6 core chip for a 6 cores disabled 12 core chip would impact many things, including heat, power and temps, and would probably result in legal action, since the buyer wouldn't be getting what is in the specifications. Any CPU with disabled cores almost certainly always has the same amount of disabled cores.

Last edited:
Uhm, that would not be the same chip. CPUs have exact specifications, substituting a 6 core chip for a 6 cores disabled 12 core chip would impact many things, including heat, power and temps, and would probably result in legal action, since the buyer wouldn't be getting what is in the specifications.

Any difference would be negligible, as Intel is pretty good at completely isolating a fused off core from the rest of the chip and potential downsides (like leakage) as well. The above mentioned chip is rated at 130W...and if you disable the additional 10MB of L3 the drop in TDP would permit a 100MHz increase in clock speed and produce a chip with exactly the same TDP and specifications as the i7-4960X. If my suspicions are correct (and they may be or may not be) the stepping of the chip should give away the original die size of the chip...the native 12 cores use a C1 stepping, the native 10 cores use a M1 stepping and the native 6 cores use a S1 stepping. But I imagine that Intel would be able to conceal this if they wanted by disguising the Family, Model and Stepping numbers burned into the CPU.

I suppose time will tell the tale...;)

In many cases yes, but do you think Intel would not disable 6 defective cores on a 12 core die if they had to? It probably won't happen often, but it's a possibility. Look at the Xeon E5-2643 V2. Six core CPU, 3.5GHz, 25MB L3 cache. Do you think this chip comes from an Ivy-E die? Nope...;)

It's already been said before, the 4930k and 4960x, are native six core processors. Just like the 4820k this time around, is a native quad core.

It's already been said before, the 4930k and 4960x, are native six core processors. Just like the 4820k this time around, is a native quad core.

3820 was a native quad core last time. It was not a cut down/disabled core chip. In other news, the Xeon 12 cores have started popping up on fleabay. I was surprised to see a 12-core 2.7ghz part.

My 3930k is running at 4.9. It feels like i've had this thing forever and i find it incredible that there still isn't something worth upgrading to. Not sure if that's good or bad ;p

I also have a decently OCed 3930K. That was a great buy and this launch is a relief for my wallet, but I find the state of the high-end CPU market to be depressing. We need some competition and revolutionary innovations, not this stand still with no significant speed increases for years.

If my suspicions are correct (and they may be or may not be) the stepping of the chip should give away the original die size of the chip...the native 12 cores use a C1 stepping, the native 10 cores use a M1 stepping and the native 6 cores use a S1 stepping. But I imagine that Intel would be able to conceal this if they wanted by disguising the Family, Model and Stepping numbers burned into the CPU.

All Ivy-E are revision S1.

If you already own a SB-E, it isn't even worth spending more than $600 for a new CPU which you won't even see a performance increase, or very little. I would rather if Intel released a new chipset to replace X79 but they insist on using X79, which is already old, outdated and needs a refresh.

If you already own a SB-E, it isn't even worth spending more than $600 for a new CPU which you won't even see a performance increase, or very little. I would rather if Intel released a new chipset to replace X79 but they insist on using X79, which is already old, outdated and needs a refresh.

For anyone without SB-E, Ivy-E is quite nice- until you get to X79. Still, the only thing you really miss is native (bootable) USB3; 2x SATA3 is enough, you can add cards to expand that, and I'd hope that they'd have TB equipped boards available too.

I recently purchased a Koolance 380i, ASUS X-79 Deluxe and 4930K CPU.

The 'test setup' page of the [H] 4930K review says:

To adapt this 775/1155/1156/1150 block to your LGA 2011 or LGA 1366 system you will need these adapter posts. The Koolance system did a very good job of keeping our processor temperatures manageable.

I ordered the adapter based on that, but it turns out those adapter posts are only needed for socket 1366 systems (and don't even fit the mounting holes on the X-79 Deluxe), current 380i's come with the correct mounting posts for socket 2011 boards in the box. It was only $3.50, but it's always annoying to find out you bought something you didn't need.

Gentlemen of Intel,
This will be my "1st Intel Cpu System, "I hope I have made a good choice".
Im hooking into a Rampage IV Extreme, with Dominator Platnum quad CMD16GX3M4A2400C9, and of course Freon cooling at approx. -45c......(phase.change)

don't go over 1.7 vcore or what is the cpu volt limit ?
Thank You For Any Tips :cool:

Thanks

Gentlemen of Intel,
This will be my "1st Intel Cpu System, "I hope I have made a good choice".
Im hooking into a Rampage IV Extreme, with Dominator Platnum quad CMD16GX3M4A2400C9, and of course Freon cooling at approx. -45c......(phase.change)

don't go over 1.7 vcore or what is the cpu volt limit ?
Thank You For Any Tips :cool:

Thanks

What benchmark contest are you entering?

no contest, just want a hell of a system. knowing I can do any benchmark.
I have been AMD long long time,
Im ready to go Intel and have both systems.
Thanks

Hi
I've bought a CPU but I don't know what is the exactly model of that.
I've bought it from taobao China and I Said to seller "I want Intel Xeon 2660 v2" and he send to me a processor I don't know what model it is that?
Can you help me what is the exactly model of that?
I've attached the pictures of that:
68886300372344783031.jpg

58389699291052011985.jpg

35744099080347184926.jpg

26236660725975596633.jpg

That is an engineering sample, which are not supposed to bought and sold, because technically they belong to Intel.

I'd be curious if you are able to change the multiplier of the CPU in the bios.

also update CPUz to version 1.68 and see if that helps you display the proper info

Back