Intel Issues Spectre and Meltdown Microcode Updates for Sandy and Ivy

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
According to Intel's Microcode Revision Guidance paper, they have released new microcode updates for Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge to deal with the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. Next up are Westmere Xeons, Nehalem Xeons, as well as some Arrandale and Clarkdale CPUs, with Arrandale, Bloomfield, Clarkdale, and Clarksfield still in the pre-beta stage.

While Intel may be releasing the microcode updates, it is still up to the manufacturers to provide a BIOS update in order to get the new microcode. As of the time of writing, I'm still waiting for the update from MSI for my X99 board that was released last month. We have compiled a list of motherboard manufacturer sites here, but make sure to look up your specific board to be sure if it has been updated or not.

FYI Microsoft is loading these via Windows update now. Board support is not required.

The OS loaded microcode only applies while that OS is loaded so dual-boot setups would need an equivalent from the alternative OS, etc if no BIOS update is available

FYI Microsoft is loading these via Windows update now. Board support is not required.

The OS loaded microcode only applies while that OS is loaded so dual-boot setups would need an equivalent from the alternative OS, etc if no BIOS update is available

You sure about that?

spectre.jpg

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/01/17/new_tool_detects_if_your_pc_vulnerable_to_meltdown_spectre

You sure about that? Last batch of Microsoft provided updates were manual download only and not via WU.

AFAIK, the Microsoft provided microcode patch is a manual download and install, and currently only applies to Skylake/Kabylake.

As for dual-boot setups, Linux loads updated microcode on boot, but you have to install the microcode package first. This package applies the latest microcode available for every processor.

Sure I'm worried about a performance hit but glad that Intel is trying to help these older chips. Now to see if the manufacturers for my mobo's do anything(MSI Z68-GD65 G3 2600k, Gigabyte X79 UD3 4930k)

rgMekanic Thanks, great news for a Friday. I kind of figured nothing would happen for these rigs and I'd be doomed until a new build that I really don't need.

I have a 1 year old x99 from Asrock and expect them to 100% make Microsoft deal with it.

Reactions: erek
like this
You sure about that? Last batch of Microsoft provided updates were manual download only and not via WU.
AFAIK, the Microsoft provided microcode patch is a manual download and install, and currently only applies to Skylake/Kabylake.

My source read a bit more ambiguously than others:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...t-shipping-the-intel-spectre-microcode-fixes/

It seems like more processors will be supported in the future and they may push via Windows Update at some point

And no support from Asus

I know it's asking a lot asking for support on a product 5.9 years old. Their Sabretooth Z77 motherboards were sold with a 5 year warranty. Some are still under warranty. It really is a good will gesture on a $350 motherboard that takes a minimal of time to issue a patch.

From the Ars post:
"Systems without a compatible anti-virus application won't have the registry key, and, hence, those won't receive any further Windows Updates."

Set a registry key and Win10 won't bork your rig ever again? Sounds too good to be true.

Hopefully it'll be available for my HP Z800s, Z600s, Z77s (ASUS, Biostar) and Z87 (MSI)

So, there are many model numbers in that document, but nowhere in there do I see my i7-3930k, or any other Sandy-E chip.

Wow.

They're going all the way back to the Core 2 Duo's....

That's crazy.

Wow.

They're going all the way back to the Core 2 Duo's....

That's crazy.

I still have an old 3.4Ghz dual core Pentium under my desk at the office. Wonder if they will bother patching it. :p

Also doubles as a space heater in the winter :D

I still have an old 3.4Ghz dual core Pentium under my desk at the office. Wonder if they will bother patching it. :p

Also doubles as a space heater in the winter :D

And in summer it's an air conditioner tester?

I have an Intel mobo, curious if they will update. The last update was in 2014.

honestly wasn't holding my breath, tempted to ditch my ivy/z77 setup but DDR4 prices..............................................................................................................

(off topic but from what I can tell Ryzen would actually be a side-grade for gaming, right?)

Slight upgrade in terms of per core IPC (Haswell / Broadwell level), much larger upgrade in terms of total compute power
(assuming you get 6c/12t or 8c/16t)

F*ck the DDR4 prices though :|

Spectre & Meltdown Vulnerability
and Performance Status

System is Meltdown protected: YES
System is Spectre protected: NO!
Performance: SLOWER
CPUID: 206A7

honestly wasn't holding my breath, tempted to ditch my ivy/z77 setup but DDR4 prices..............................................................................................................

(off topic but from what I can tell Ryzen would actually be a side-grade for gaming, right?)

As WhoBeDaPlaya said, tit would be a slight upgrade in IPC/gaming performance, but a huge leap in anything else.

And to add.. DDR4 prices can kill the fattest part of my ass.

I would wait for Ryzen+ as rumors are it can hit 4.4 which would be more than a sidegrade. It would be upgrade due to higher core count and higher IPC

I have a 1 year old x99 from Asrock and expect them to 100% make Microsoft deal with it.

You might want to check out their BIOS pages. I have a...6? year old ASRock Z77 ITX and they have had a "beta" 2.0 release available since May. I'm not really expecting that they ever release one not marked beta, but who knows.

Back