Intel Introduces Performance Class SSDs for Gamers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Out with the old SSD’s and in with the new. Intel is replacing its line of overclockable SSD’s with a new line of Performance SSD’s featuring a 50% increase in speed with full warranty support.

First time I can say this: sleek and sexy drive!
Really surprised Intel made a cool looking device.

Didn't knew you could overclock a SSD...

Considering how little ssd's do for actual performance while gaming I'm going to guess this will probably be slightly nothing either.

Sounds like heaven for constantly loading games like mmo's and sandbox's!

Did anyone actually click on the link and read the review? The drive seems very "meh". Brings nothing really new, unless you need some enterprise features.

1 dollar a gig... for what I would say is going to be unnoticeable gains. Lets see a review that proves me wrong.

I don't know about you neckbeard basement unk but it look bad ass!

Is it too much to ask you to use proper grammar when you're trying to come off as haughty and superior?

Let me help you with that insulting thing you're not quite pulling off convincingly...

I don't know about what neckbeard basement dwellers like you think, but I think its bad ass!

Anyway, I think I've proven my point about the market demographic that Intel is targeting with the skull motif. Clearly we have at least one winner here. :D

Anyway, I think I've proven my point about the market demographic that Intel is targeting with the skull motif. Clearly we have at least one winner here. :D
Yeah, gamers, like it was stated. :p

From the article:
And in a nod to enthusiasts, the SSD 730 adopts the Skulltrail logo to further emphasize that we are dealing with some serious hardware here.
It's not the logo that counts, it's what under the hood! ;)

Yeah, gamers, like it was stated. :p

From the article:

It's not the logo that counts, it's what under the hood! ;)

You shush Red Birdie! I want my hardware to be covered in laser etched kittens of doom.

And really..."serious hardware"...like the opposite of "stand up comedian hardware" or something?

You shush Red Birdie! I want my hardware to be covered in laser etched kittens of doom.

And really..."serious hardware"...like the opposite of "stand up comedian hardware" or something?

Does this work for you? :D

tul_powercolor_pig_1.jpg

I heard that gold will drop faster if you install Diablo III on this.

Did anyone actually click on the link and read the review? The drive seems very "meh". Brings nothing really new, unless you need some enterprise features.

Read most of the ones Steve posted the other day, and yeah, kinda meh imo as well.

Iirc, power usage was 7 or 8x that of most standard SSDs, temps were much hotter than most (think 100F+), performance was very good, but not stellar enough to warrant the price.

Power protection caps like the M500 are nice, and the skull was.. interesting ;)

The boost in performance from one SSD to another SSD is practically unnoticeable in comparison to upgrading from a HDD to a SSD. Even the slowest SSDs run circles around the fastest HDDs.

Considering how little ssd's do for actual performance while gaming I'm going to guess this will probably be slightly nothing either.

You've never played a game with long load times or huge maps, have you?

The MMO's I play have a 30+ second load time for some maps/instances on one of my HDD's. Once I switched to SSD, it's hard to tell whether I blink or it just loads that fast anymore.

You've never played a game with long load times or huge maps, have you?

The MMO's I play have a 30+ second load time for some maps/instances on one of my HDD's. Once I switched to SSD, it's hard to tell whether I blink or it just loads that fast anymore.

Load times does not equal performance.

I've been using SSD's since the X-25M, while I appreciate the load times it doesn't do anything for actual performance.

First time I can say this: sleek and sexy drive!
Really surprised Intel made a cool looking device.

Didn't knew you could overclock a SSD...

lol to me it looks like they did little more than put a skull sticker on it.

I still yet have gotten a reason to upgrade my raid0 setup...

Is it too much to ask you to use proper grammar when you're trying to come off as haughty and superior?

Let me help you with that insulting thing you're not quite pulling off convincingly...

You fail at fixing grammar, "unk" is uncle. Duhhhh

Bury me with this SSD...the skull will be a nice touch maybe it's the shroud of evil that is Intel? Hey you bought our Mark of the Beast maybe it will make you?

I do miss those creative cooling fans though on cards... I never picked one up myself..

Price per GB is still insane on SSD's

Someone get on giving gamer's improvement in that...

$/GB on this Intel SSD is too high. $/GB on most other consumer grade SSDs is still higher than on spinning drives, but it's come down a lot and they're definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I don't know why anyone would buy this new Intel - it's way too expensive, runs so hot there is no chance you can use it in a laptop, doesn't deliver performance worth the $ or heat and for slightly less $ you can get three of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...F8&qid=1393800201&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+evo

or for about the same you can get double the capacity in a Samsung EVO:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...6OU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I've got a 250GB EVO in a laptop and another one in a desktop. In both systems, it was like getting a new PC it was such an improvement in my own subjective user experience just booting, doing day to day stuff with both systems. Adding the EVO+3TB WD Black+fresh install of Windows 8.1 to my desktop from sig built in 2008-2009 really has made it feel brand new.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Probably decent but did they really need to add the Grateful Dead looking skull logo?

As long as they run Flappy Bird to even faster levels of frustration I'm happy.

Probably decent but did they really need to add the Grateful Dead looking skull logo?

I see this question popping up often.

It is the logo of their gamer oriented items, skull trail, they've been using it for a while.

Also, the reason this is costing so much has little to do with the performance differences you won't see and all to do with the addition of power protection and other options that actually make this a good ssd.

I'll have to look at other ssd's but if this is the cheapest with those options I may get the 240 for my server.

It's so weird seeing manufacturers market overclocking. Charging a premium for the privilege kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Load times does not equal performance.

I've been using SSD's since the X-25M, while I appreciate the load times it doesn't do anything for actual performance.

I disagree. There are different metrics of performance. Benchmarks are one thing, and FPS numbers are great, but upgrading to a 530 the other day has done more for my overall enjoyment of games than anything in recent months.

And I get zero load pauses in Skyrim. Absolutely no stuttering with 4k textures.

I disagree. There are different metrics of performance. Benchmarks are one thing, and FPS numbers are great, but upgrading to a 530 the other day has done more for my overall enjoyment of games than anything in recent months.

And I get zero load pauses in Skyrim. Absolutely no stuttering with 4k textures.

I guess that makes sense. The overall experience i mean. Still it seems odd to target gamers... most enthusiasts know that your disk speed has very little to do with game performance.

I guess that makes sense. The overall experience i mean. Still it seems odd to target gamers... most enthusiasts know that your disk speed has very little to do with game performance.

How is it odd to target gamers???

Back