Intel Ice Lake CPUs Have a System Crashing Bug

erek

[H]F Junkie
More bugs, where does it end if ever

"Thanks to community testing, we have found out that these issues are not just a software bug, however, it is a rather CPU specific bug that only occurs on Intel Ice Lake processors. Intel recently updated the CPU microcode and there is no improvement. It seems like the IntelliJ IDE has a specific sequence of instructions that trigger Ice Lake CPUs to crash OS. This behavior is concerning as this could be used for a possible exploit. Again, cloud providers are at risk here as if you crash the system the whole instance could crash. Of course server Ice Lake parts are yet to arrive, but the bug could be hidden in the core of the CPU design. Even with the latest microcode update Ice Lake CPUs are still crashing with this software, so we have to see how Intel responds to this."'

https://www.techpowerup.com/268479/intel-ice-lake-cpus-have-a-system-crashing-bug

Sounds like a new aggressive power saving feature.
So that means you could remotely crash a whole PC. So for virtual servers, would it just crash the VM or the whole server hosting the VMs???

Sounds like a new aggressive power saving feature.
So that means you could remotely crash a whole PC. So for virtual servers, would it just crash the VM or the whole server hosting the VMs???

Sounds like the latter to me.

Jeez. Intel can't seem to catch a break lately. It's just one thing after another.

If they weren't the big evil company known for its illegal business practices and trying to subdue competition through deepest pockets bogus lawsuits, I'd almost feel badly.

I'm not one to believe in the concept of karma, but there is some poetic justice in this whole ordeal...

Sounds like the latter to me.

Jeez. Intel can't seem to catch a break lately. It's just one thing after another.

If they weren't the big evil company known for its illegal business practices and trying to subdue competition through deepest pockets bogus lawsuits, I'd almost feel badly.

I'm not one to believe in the concept of karma, but there is some poetic justice in this whole ordeal...
Makes you think is Intel really too big to fall?
If they keep this up they just might

Perhaps Tiger Lake will fix this?
As they say, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Intel just might be too big to fail though, like really

right?
Unless they can ride on the revenue of x86 royalties and their forced vendor lock-in with their platforms into the next decade, I would say things aren't looking up for them at this point.
It would seem that, at this point, Intel's biggest enemy is Intel (upper management) itself, and unless it can start taking care of basic things, it is going to be taken down, death by 1000 cuts style.

Last edited:
Unless they can ride on the revenue of x86-64 royalties and their forced vendor lock-in with their platforms into the next decade, I would say things aren't looking up for them at this point.
It would seem that, at this point, Intel's biggest enemy is Intel (upper management) itself, and unless it can start taking care of basic things, it is going to be taken down, death by 1000 cuts style.

yah, seems lame that with Gen graphics that Upper Management didn't want a High End GPU from them

Even if Intel drops out the CPU buisness they still no going anywhere. Intel has their hands in a lot more things then just CPUs. They certainly would be down sided but still be around.

Unless they can ride on the revenue of x86-64 royalties and their forced vendor lock-in with their platforms into the next decade...
AMD owns x86-64, not Intel. Intel tried to push IA64 instructions and it didnt go well, the market kept the x86 compatibility they got with x86-64 and so Intel was forced to switch.

AMD owns x86-64, not Intel. Intel tried to push IA64 instructions and it didnt go well, the market kept the x86 compatibility they got with x86-64 and so Intel was forced to switch.

The part that I don't fully have a grasp on is to what extent x86-64 depends on IA32.

In other words, as 32 bit software becomes older and older, and at some point we decide we no longer need 32bit hardware compatibility, could AMD manufacture AMD-64 chips without licensing anything from Intel?

Back