Intel i7 9700K and i9 9900K Leaks Showcase “Insane” Core Turbo Speeds

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Benchlife.info has published a table detailing the boost clocks for the Intel i7-9700K and i9-9900K, which will be capable of hitting 4.9GHz and 5.0GHz in single-core operations, respectively. With all cores in play, the 9700K maxes out at 4.6GHz, while the 9900K can reach 4.7GHz.

Intel's 9000 series processors are expected to release in late September alongside new Z390 series motherboards, which will ship with native support for Intel's latest processors. All of today's 300-series will offer support for 9000-series CPUs through BIOS updates.

Incredible, really. I'm impressed. Two things I'm hoping to learn soon:

1) Do the chips have better spectre protections with less performance impact?
2) Do they clock at those speeds while running AVX code, or do they utilize an AVX offset like overclockers (and some Xeons) had to use before?

I'm not impressed. My 8700k does 5GHz on all cores with no issues. If I were to delid it and replace the TIM, I could probably get 5.2. (I haven't tried to do either yet.) Even with 2 more cores, the 9900k isn't that special. That's just scaling up. I would be impressed with something new.

Its more likely to do those speeds on one or two cores only.

This is the best intel can do, more cores, more mhz, that's it. A new architecture would be nice but a pipe dream.

you forgot MORE expensive in your list. Intel will up the price on the x900k and x700k models since you're getting more cores. Unless you are using your pc to make a living, adding a few more cores isn't noticeable at this point.

Incredible, really. I'm impressed. Two things I'm hoping to learn soon:

1) Do the chips have better spectre protections with less performance impact?
2) Do they clock at those speeds while running AVX code, or do they utilize an AVX offset like overclockers (and some Xeons) had to use before?

Spectre/meltdown won't be fixed in hardware until there's a complete architecture overhaul.

The most this does is breath a little life into my z370 system when these chips inevitably get discounted before the release of the next 14nm+ CPU Intel puts out.

Spectre/meltdown won't be fixed in hardware until there's a complete architecture overhaul.

The most this does is breath a little life into my z370 system when these chips inevitably get discounted before the release of the next 14nm+ CPU Intel puts out.

Get back to me when they have news of a real performance improvement.
I can already do 5Ghz on ALL cores on my current overclocked cpu.

This is the best intel can do, more cores, more mhz, that's it. A new architecture would be nice but a pipe dream.

Like I said, I'd be impressed with something new. If Intel could manage it, then it would mean they're impressive.

Now, AMD is impressive. If they could combine the chiplet and active interposer technology with Zen 2 cores at 7nm, then they could really embarrass Intel.

I'll be impressed if all 8 cores can hold 5.0 / 5.0AVX without melting down. If it can, I'll flip my 2 8086Ks.

They may wait to add two core turbo. They'll be forced to do so and eventually they'll be cherry-picking so badly they'll back themselves in to a corner. The thing is - AMD needs this. It's going to take a while for people to convert and for the market to become even remotely close to evenly distributed.

The problem with markets is that people are unfortunately easy to manipulate. On one hand dumb-dumbs will buy an inferior video card at $200 because the $2,000 card from that same company is currently the fastest. Then you have lots of benchmarking manipulation (e.g. little to no support for DirectX 12) or in Intel's case they intentionally gimped non-Intel CPUs (AMD) for compiled software (e.g. games) so while there are certainly lots of intelligent people researching all of this nonsense for every one of those there are ten dumb-dumbs that don't. It gets to the point of psychology: people feel important for aligning themselves with a person, a group or a company.

I said a while ago that I bet these will have very little OC headroom. Rumor is they are soldered IHS. I bet Intel is just basically factory OCing these.

That i9-9900K looks sweet but, I have a suspicion it will cost as much as, of more than my TR 1950X did.

I said a while ago that I bet these will have very little OC headroom. Rumor is they are soldered IHS. I bet Intel is just basically factory OCing these.
I don't really see that as a big deal as essentially you just install the chip and get about the best performance that it can deliver without having to Tinker with a damn thing. It's not like the ryzen 2700 X has any real overclocking room either and in some cases actually ends up doing better when just left to stock configuration that turbos up the cores anyway.

I don't really see that as a big deal as essentially you just install the chip and get about the best performance that it can deliver without having to Tinker with a damn thing. It's not like the ryzen 2700 X has any real overclocking room either and in some cases actually ends up doing better when just left to stock configuration that turbos up the cores anyway.

But but.. I want to tinker with my hardware. That's why I demand unlocked hardware in the first place!

That said. 5ghz on 8 korez (with HT pleez) and I'm a super happy camper.

Intel pushing poor old 14nm+++ to the max..

Anyone else feel like me? -> Love the fact that AMD can compete. Feels like telling intel to fuck off. But at the same time drooling over the i9-9900K.
Its the first time in over a decade I can say meh Intel. And that I proudly run an 2700x now.

They may wait to add two core turbo. They'll be forced to do so and eventually they'll be cherry-picking so badly they'll back themselves in to a corner. The thing is - AMD needs this. It's going to take a while for people to convert and for the market to become even remotely close to evenly distributed.

The problem with markets is that people are unfortunately easy to manipulate. On one hand dumb-dumbs will buy an inferior video card at $200 because the $2,000 card from that same company is currently the fastest. Then you have lots of benchmarking manipulation (e.g. little to no support for DirectX 12) or in Intel's case they intentionally gimped non-Intel CPUs (AMD) for compiled software (e.g. games) so while there are certainly lots of intelligent people researching all of this nonsense for every one of those there are ten dumb-dumbs that don't. It gets to the point of psychology: people feel important for aligning themselves with a person, a group or a company.

The average consumer doesn't know jack about what a CPU is, what it does, or how cores and clocks even benefit them.

They shop on the price tag. They shop on the chassis color. They shop on the screen size. They shop on if it will stream their music and movies at home or hotels. They shop on the brand name of the whole computer, not the brand/series/model of the processor inside.

Business enterprise, otoh, is where the biggest volume is for oem parts suppliers like Intel and AMD. There is some discernment of CPU brands, models, and architectural differences, but budgets also play a huge role. From my previous experience in an OEM supply chain, I've seen supply chain management and sales personnel work together and discount i5 equipped PCs for slightly less than list price i3 equipped PCs to win large volume business contracts. When the volume discount for buying so many tray processors from Intel is there, they were easilyable to afford doing this.

Hmmm.. insane speeds? No... My 4930k can do 4.7Ghz on all cores. I wonder how high I could get on a single core.

How did they do it? Did they actually stop using that crap TIM between the core and IHS?

Intel: "Our processor can hit these speeds on a single core!"

Consumer: "All right, play a modern game on that overclocked single core."

Intel: "Uh...."

:facepalm:

Impressive for an overclock but absolutely worthless for modern gaming. When I can buy a >=5Ghz stock clocked processor running that clockspeed with every core enabled then I will be impressed.

Still, both the 9700K and 9900K processors are drool worthy considering the 4790K I used to own ran 4.4Ghz Boost stock.

Yep watch this thing cost $999 or something absurd. Meanwhile, 2700x's are $279 + a $30 mobo combo discount at Microcenter.

oh damn I misread, I thought it was 5ghz across the board. Still, this is the first time 5ghz has been offered in a mainstream consumer chip, right? 5 across the board I'd say qualified as insane. This... eh. Nice but not insane.

Yep watch this thing cost $999 or something absurd. Meanwhile, 2700x's are $279 + a $30 mobo combo discount at Microcenter.
Why even make such a blatantly ignorant comment about pricing? You can just use some basic common sense and see that Intels 8 core 16 thread CPU even on their high end platform goes for less than $500. Some of you come up with some pathological hatred and ridiculous excuses to justify your AMD purchases.

Why even make such a blatantly ignorant comment about pricing? You can just use some basic common sense and see that Intels 8 core 16 thread CPU even on their high end platform goes for less than $500. Some of you come up with some pathological hatred and ridiculous excuses to justify your AMD purchases.

Put your pants back on. I was guessing based on the "extreme edition" cpu's of old. I did google and the guesses (and that's all they are, someone else's guesses) range from 450-500+. No one knows until an official announcement is made or the things actually release into retail. That will still be in the ballpark of double the price of a comparable 8 core alternative, which happens to be from AMD.

I'm not married to either side, I do and have owned many CPUs from both. Competition is good... if Ryzen didn't exist, Intel could and would charge whatever the hell they wanted for a "speciality" part like this.

The year is 2026, Intel have just released their 15th 14nm iteration.

It runs at the incredible speed of around 5ghz.

Somehow it's needed the 15th gen motherboard releasing as well, even though the pin count has stayed the same the entire time.

Benchlife.info has published a table detailing the boost clocks for the Intel i7-9700K and i9-9900K, which will be capable of hitting 4.9GHz and 5.0GHz in single-core operations, respectively. With all cores in play, the 9700K maxes out at 4.6GHz, while the 9900K can reach 4.7GHz.

Intel's 9000 series processors are expected to release in late September alongside new Z390 series motherboards, which will ship with native support for Intel's latest processors. All of today's 300-series will offer support for 9000-series CPUs through BIOS updates.

Will they work in current Z270 Asus boards? I have the Tuff Revision 1

Sounds like a fanboi talk. No one is going to be happy with an Intel K CPU that can't overclock. Anyways, just complete speculation on my part.

My 4770k can do 4.7 Ghz and it's not even delidded. But I'm sure these cpu's would still blow it away stock settings.

I love competition from AMD.
What I hate about it though, is it's obvious that when there is no competition, Intel is happy to dole out miniscule improvements from generation to generation, until they are forced to do otherwise. Pretty sure they are/have been sitting on some seriously advanced shit, just been saving it up for the day they actually have to do more than placate the masses with virtually insignificant generational "upgrades"

I love competition from AMD.
What I hate about it though, is it's obvious that when there is no competition, Intel is happy to dole out miniscule improvements from generation to generation, until they are forced to do otherwise. Pretty sure they are/have been sitting on some seriously advanced shit, just been saving it up for the day they actually have to do more than placate the masses with virtually insignificant generational "upgrades"
Intel's been having real issues with 10nm. I don't know how much they've been investing in solving those issues...I think they just didn't think other foundries would have as smooth a transition given the trouble they've been having.

I've been running at 5Ghz for nearly 5 years now - seriously intel, this is just sad to see

Back