Intel i7-8700K Rumored to Launch Next Month

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The original image on reddit has been deleted, but VideoCardz has managed to snag a screenshot of an inventory system that suggests Intel’s 6-core Coffee Lake processors will be released next month: the exact chip displayed is the 3.7 GHz i7-8700K, and it’ll supposedly drop on October 5th.

It is believed that on October 5th the distribution of Intel’s 8th Gen series will begin. We actually heard about the same date but as a retail launch. Regardless if this means retail availability or not, it appears that Intel’s new desktop series will launch early October. The Coffee Lake-S series are Intel’s direct response to Ryzen. For the first time, Intel will introduce mainstream 6-core processors and budget quad-core CPUs. The i7-8700K is a flagship model of Coffee Lake-S series with 6 cores and 12 threads.

The original image on reddit has been deleted, but VideoCardz has managed to snag a screenshot of an inventory system that suggests Intel’s 6-core Coffee Lake processors will be released next month: the exact chip displayed is the 3.7 GHz i7-8700K, and it’ll supposedly drop on October 5th.

It is believed that on October 5th the distribution of Intel’s 8th Gen series will begin. We actually heard about the same date but as a retail launch. Regardless if this means retail availability or not, it appears that Intel’s new desktop series will launch early October. The Coffee Lake-S series are Intel’s direct response to Ryzen. For the first time, Intel will introduce mainstream 6-core processors and budget quad-core CPUs. The i7-8700K is a flagship model of Coffee Lake-S series with 6 cores and 12 threads.

Did they pick up some Turtle Rock Studios/2k Ideas for Evolve-ish ideas to ruin a game?

8700k will probably be $399. 4 core HT will be the new i5 line at $299 for top end would be my guess. Intel never tries to compete in price too hard.

Also, I'd be excited about 8700k if they decided to keep the cost down
How nice of them of doing nice for us, oh wait, is because Ryzen offers more cores for less money, so now intel has no choice but to try.

Yeah, no, I will still buy Ryzen, fuck intel.

Intel never tries to compete in price too hard.
They will once they run out of blind fanbois.

And by the way, didnt they just released the 7700K?

They are in full insane mode.

I am not at all interested in the i7-8700K because if it outperforms my 3.9GHz Ryzen 7 1700X then it will be by narrow margins, and therefore not worth the cost and effort to side-grade.

I am very interested in deep holiday price cuts on Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs and 100- and 200-series chipset boards... :D

8700k will probably be $399. 4 core HT will be the new i5 line at $299 for top end would be my guess. Intel never tries to compete in price too hard.

Its already listed for less on sites. So your BS is not going to happen :)

On the top end, yes. But Intel still has some good value SKUs out there that have a good bang for buck. It all comes down to what YOU do with your PC. I still run both. I used to be Intel only.

No amount of price cuts will increase the headroom on Ryzen though :p

Well... going to have to wait a bit for upgrades then. First my server was going to be a 7700k but with prices likely to change and the new CPU parts based on Coffee likely to have performance differences it might be prudent to see what happens.

The irony..
Indeed, considering that I'm currently using an i5-3570k...

Also, not crazy about Nvidia telemetry crap, yet I am using a GTX 970...

Sadly, people cant see the bigger picture.

Is Coffee Lake expected to backwards compatible with Z170 chipsets like Kaby Lake is, or is it a whole new chipset not compatible with Z1 or 270?

Is Coffee Lake expected to backwards compatible with Z170 chipsets like Kaby Lake is, or is it a whole new chipset not compatible with Z1 or 270?
Nope. IIRC it's gonna be a whole new chipset.

I am not at all interested in the i7-8700K because if it outperforms my 3.9GHz Ryzen 7 1700X then it will be by narrow margins, and therefore not worth the cost and effort to side-grade.

I am very interested in deep holiday price cuts on Skylake and Kaby Lake CPUs and 100- and 200-series chipset boards... :D

Havn't there already been a pile of reviews on the 8700K that put the single core performance about %11 above the 7700k? That's enough to thoroughly destroy any overclocked Ryzen in gaming... before you overclock the 8700k.

Even not counting gaming, there's still the "sweet spot." Right now for general desktop use the Ryzen is trading blows close enough that you could still ignore the single core performance and go with one. If the 8700k widens that gap any more than it is... you'd be a little crazy not to consider it.

Only way Intel can screw this up is if the street price of the 8700k is over $400. If it is, then the Ryzen 1700 and 1700x will continue to offer a solid alternative in price to performance.

That's enough to thoroughly destroy any overclocked Ryzen in gaming... before you overclock the 8700k.

If you're buying anything more than a $200 i5 for gaming then you're wasting money, unless you're an extreme 144Hz twitch gamer.

I am happy with 50Hz vsync locked 3440x1440 ultra gaming, and that's GPU, not CPU, restricted.

If you're buying anything more than a $200 i5 for gaming then you're wasting money, unless you're an extreme 144Hz twitch gamer.

I am happy with 50Hz vsync locked 3440x1440 ultra gaming, and that's GPU, not CPU, restricted.
Exactly, my i5-3570k, OC to 4.4 and my 970 are still running great on my 1080p tv. Well, the games that i care for anyways.

If you are going to buy a gaming CPU today: On Newegg the i5-7600k is $240. On Amazon $222. An i7-7700k is $340 or $335.

i5 3.8/4.2 turbo
i7 4.2/4.5 turbo w/Hyperthreading

You're talking about a k series overclocked i5 here. You're already only $100 off the i7 price as it is, which is both faster without an overclock and has HT. Pretty close for what you get.

The non-k i5 cpus that are $200 or less are much, much slower per core and don't really overclock.

So the point stands... IF the 8700k in anything south of $400, it's going to gut the market from the i5-7600k (and there will be a 6 core i5 to replace it anyway), the i7-7700k and the entire lineup of Ryzen CPUs from the 1700 on up.

Ye, the CFL series is truly going to change SKUs in the price segments, and for AMD simply big price cuts.

The new gaming king is the 8700K, the new budget king the 8400.

Back