Intel i7-7700k integrated graphics driving me bonkers. Please help!

theplaidfad

Lurker
Please read this carefully before responding so you have a clear picture as to what the issue is.

I had to uninstall my dedicated graphics card and return it. I'll be waiting probably around 1 to 2 months to replace it. In the meantime, I wanted to use the dedicated graphics on my i7-7700k CPU, but it's giving me an absolute fit.

Here's the relevant system specs so you know what I'm working with.

Intel i7-7700k
Asus z170i Pro Gaming motherboard (updated with latest Bios)
Monitor 1: (the one I wish to use) Asus PG278Q (1440p, 144hz, but I set it to 60hz to make sure it would be compatible)
Monitor 2: (the one I'm being forced to use) LG55AM4600 (1080p, 60hz)

Here's the issue that's driving me bonkers. The Asus monitor has only one output, and that's DisplayPort. The motherboard has 1x HDMI and 1x DisplayPort for input connections. When I plug in the DisplayPort (Asus monitor) only, I get the booting screen, can go into BIOS and all of that, but when windows loads, it just goes to no signal.

When I plug in the LG55AM4600 tv into the HDMI, it works, windows works. I've cleared all of the NVidia drivers and Intel display drivers as well. When I plug in the Asus back into the DisplayPort, it too now works.

After fiddling around with all of the settings, the ONLY way the Asus monitor works hooked into the DisplayPort is if the LG TV is plugged into the HDMI and on. Trying to set the Asus as the single monitor default in the intel graphics settings results in no display. Unplugging the HDMI at any point along the process results in no display. Trying to boot with only the Asus plugged into the DisplayPort results in no display.

I'm at my wits end here, anyone have a clue as to what in the hell is going on here?

You might have an issue with that PG278Q being picky about input sources because of the Gsync module.

I'ts basically an Nvidia-created monitor firmware designed to run at extremely high speeds with adjustsble sync, so they're not going to go out of their way to make it work with something outside AMD and Nvidia cards.

Also, the first suggestion I'd ever make with DisplayPort connection problem is to try a different cable, but I assume this was already working with your old GPU?

This one was resolved by clean-installing Windows 10:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/107490

But I can't find many instances of your issue, because most people just drive it with discrete graphics. Unfortunately, DisplayPort cards aren't cheap, so you can't jut buy a just-in-case backup card.

Last edited:
Yes, was working perfectly fine with my gtx 1080 that I returned and my two gtx 980's before that. The cable is solid, I'm sure.

Back