Intel i7 5557u NUC - $399 @frys

Oh ok thank you.

It also denotes specifically the 15w TDP versions, I think they were calling the U line ultra-low voltage at one point. Otherwise there are 35/45w mobile processors denoted by an M or QM, HM, etc denoting the 35w+ TDP mobile processors.

Edit: I take that back, that U version is actually not 15w, but 28w and operates at 3.1ghz normally. Looks like broadwell is changing the old naming structure up a bit.

It also denotes specifically the 15w TDP versions, I think they were calling the U line ultra-low voltage at one point. Otherwise there are 35/45w mobile processors denoted by an M or QM, HM, etc denoting the 35w+ TDP mobile processors.

Edit: I take that back, that U version is actually not 15w, but 28w and operates at 3.1ghz normally. Looks like broadwell is changing the old naming structure up a bit.

U has always been a 28w part. Y is the 15w part.

This is so far the only NUC with Core i7 ever, correct?

Edit: I think that mini HDMI port will create fun for years to come... fiddling with adapters.

Last edited:
This looks really cool. Was thinking about putting together a MicroATX computer for media connected to my NAS, this might just be better for the price.

When I posted the above I didn't think of looking for a special HDMI cable that will plug into that port.

This is so far the only NUC with Core i7 ever, correct?

Edit: I think that mini HDMI port will create fun for years to come... fiddling with adapters.

Gigabyte had their version of the NUC "Brix" with an i7-4770R.

U has always been a 28w part. Y is the 15w part.
It's varied. Originally the U designation was used on 5W TDP processors (Pentium M ULV), then 10W processors (Core 2 Duo U7xxx), and various other newer processors in up to the 18W range. The U suffix was first used for 17W Sandy Bridge chips. I think the 28W "U" designation is new for Broadwell chips intended for all in one systems or micro form factors.

The Y designation was introduced at 7W SDP with Ivy Bridge, and has fallen below to 4.5W/6W SDP (11.5W/15W TDP) since.

Recommended customer price for the i7-5557U: $426.

Still no Crystalwell/onboard L4 DRAM, but damn, nice.

The Crystalwell Brix has been going for $360 regularly recently. Not the latest gen but if you want some GPU oomph that'd be the one to nab: Gigabyte Brix /w the i5-4570R.

Back