Intel i7 4790K running too hot?

Lyell Wolf

n00b
I recently built my new system and I'm currently having issues with my Core i7 4790k running too hot on idle and gaming tasks. I'm using a Corsair H100i Water cooling (Intake fans according to the MFG recommendations) with arctic silver 5 thermal paste and these are the temps I'm reaching:

At idle, it runs at 34 Celsius which isn't too horrible but still seems a bit hot.

With gaming (Like dragon age Inquisition) it runs at 80 Celsius. Kinda feel uncomfortable with it reaching so high with a water cooler.

I've reseated the water cooler and reapplied the thermal paste (First removing it with Arcticlean) and I'm still getting about the same Temps. I did some research into the matter and it seems it's a fairly common issues/concern among owners of this chip but some seem to have good luck with it.

I then decided to run Prime95 to see what the results would be and within three seconds of starting a torture test, the temps were at 90-100 Celsius. Very dissapointed with these results.

Hi,

I have been researching a new system. I came across this Intel community forum post. It is 28 or pages goodness about your issue. It is a long but interesting read about overheating in both i7 and i5 processors. This is mainly geared to the i7 users but also pertains to the i5 CPUs. Here is the post.

Intel Community Forum Overheating post

Troubleshooting Intel i7 4790 and i5 4690 overheating techincal bulletin.

I believe 2 intel reps as well a number of testers were helping in figuring out what is happening. The second Intel rep has a set up tech bulletin that seemed to help some people. There is also a call for a possible class action towards Intel for this issue as overheating maybe a condition from the manufacturing process and has been experienced across several generations of the core i_ processors.

Good luck!

I put an H80i on my 4790k last night and it runs fairly cool,

these are the temps I had with the Arctic Freezer Pro rev 2,

I built this machine on December 12 of this year.

I recently built my new system and I'm currently having issues with my Core i7 4790k running too hot on idle and gaming tasks. I'm using a Corsair H100i Water cooling (Intake fans according to the MFG recommendations) with arctic silver 5 thermal paste and these are the temps I'm reaching:

At idle, it runs at 34 Celsius which isn't too horrible but still seems a bit hot.

With gaming (Like dragon age Inquisition) it runs at 80 Celsius. Kinda feel uncomfortable with it reaching so high with a water cooler.

I've reseated the water cooler and reapplied the thermal paste (First removing it with Arcticlean) and I'm still getting about the same Temps. I did some research into the matter and it seems it's a fairly common issues/concern among owners of this chip but some seem to have good luck with it.

I then decided to run Prime95 to see what the results would be and within three seconds of starting a torture test, the temps were at 90-100 Celsius. Very dissapointed with these results.

first check the backplate. it have to be set in this way:
350x700px-LL-a71b1057_backplate.png

second check if the block its loose after mounted: This post@corsair Forums will help a lot if that is the issue..

anyway.. generally with a new unit problems of overheating tend to be related to backplate and/or block/pump unit.

Mine were loose like in that post, but I installed it anyway and when I put the pump on and tightened it down, it was tight, didn't move at all.
I did see a youtube vid where the guys pump would move slightly and he had to hold the pump down to make better contact with the cpu, when he let go the cpu would get hot.

first check the backplate. it have to be set in this way:
350x700px-LL-a71b1057_backplate.png

second check if the block its loose after mounted: This post@corsair Forums will help a lot if that is the issue..

anyway.. generally with a new unit problems of overheating tend to be related to backplate and/or block/pump unit.

So I Looked at my mounting base on the bottom of my mobo and I noticed that my plate was resting on those two screws you have circled. The screws are not very big though, hardly seem to cause any issues with the mounting plate besides a little distention. Could that be my culprit?

So I decided to remount the plate differently and sure enough my temps have improved. But I'm still hitting 100 Celsius 2 min into prime 95

You know, I'm wondering if I didn't fry my brand new 4790K. I had it for all of 1 day. Asrock z87 board, updated with latest BIOS. Set it to "auto" 4.7 and proceeded to game for a couple hours no issue. Cpuz reported 1.28v and temps (Corsair H105) were maybe 64c max. I shut it down to go to bed and in the morning my gf turned it on to use the internet. Windows (7 Pro x64) gave some error message about the NIC having "hardware related issues". She powered it off and after that it would not power on. Bizzare. I came home and proceeded to troubleshoot. I decided it was the PSU (CX600M) and set up RMA with Corsair on 12/22. (First experience with them. I pay shipping back, and even with their 'Express' service my replacement has expected delivery 1/5 -- 2 full weeks. really??)

Anyway while I'm waiting for the new PSU I'm wondering if maybe the PSU was ok and it was the chip or board that got messed up. With PSU plugged in the fan would not spin up at all when I hit the power. No lights on the mobo either. I just assumed the PSU was the culprit. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Hoping the chip is ok. I'll have to run some more in depth testing once I get it all working again.

You know, I'm wondering if I didn't fry my brand new 4790K. I had it for all of 1 day. Asrock z87 board, updated with latest BIOS. Set it to "auto" 4.7 and proceeded to game for a couple hours no issue. Cpuz reported 1.28v and temps (Corsair H105) were maybe 64c max. I shut it down to go to bed and in the morning my gf turned it on to use the internet. Windows (7 Pro x64) gave some error message about the NIC having "hardware related issues". She powered it off and after that it would not power on. Bizzare. I came home and proceeded to troubleshoot. I decided it was the PSU (CX600M) and set up RMA with Corsair on 12/22. (First experience with them. I pay shipping back, and even with their 'Express' service my replacement has expected delivery 1/5 -- 2 full weeks. really??)

Anyway while I'm waiting for the new PSU I'm wondering if maybe the PSU was ok and it was the chip or board that got messed up. With PSU plugged in the fan would not spin up at all when I hit the power. No lights on the mobo either. I just assumed the PSU was the culprit. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Hoping the chip is ok. I'll have to run some more in depth testing once I get it all working again.

You should have posted this in your own thread. But setting an overclock automatically by using "auto", especially to such a high overclock of 4.7, is a terrible idea.

So I decided to remount the plate differently and sure enough my temps have improved. But I'm still hitting 100 Celsius 2 min into prime 95

In the motherboard BIOS, double check the header that the pump is plugged into. Make sure it's set to always run at 100% speed, otherwise the pump may not ever get up to full speed if it's set for "quiet" or is based on case temps.

This is a known issue with haswell and Prime95. When Haswell first came out, there were a lot of threads about how Prime95 (and IBT) were causing instant overheating and throttling.

If memory serves, it has something to do with a new instruction set ("IVT?"), adaptive voltages, and small FFTs. Any Haswell (with adaptive voltage enabled) will jump to 100c and throttle in that situation. Note that your temps will be more reasonable when the FFTs are larger.

For stability testing with Prime95 without running into this, I set it to a minimum FFT of 512k. Still seems to stress the CPU effectively without the ridiculous and unrealistic heat.

Hope that helps! Incidentally, I have the 100i on a 4770k. But will be swapping CPUs around in a few days and will have a 4790k under it. Will be happy to compare more directly then.

--H

Back