INTEL I5 661 3.33GHZ DUAL CORE CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Ours will be up later, but these guys jumped the gun on the Embargo.

Here is a shot from our OCing to pique your interest.

i5-661%20at%204563%2026x175.png

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1753

Last edited:
Well if that's 4.5ghz on the STOCK COOLER, then I say Woohoo! That means 5ghz is reasonably possible on a good air cooler or water cooling solution! ..and let's not forget our phase changers and liquid nitrogen cooling peeps either.. 6ghz anyone?

Bjorn's stopped due to being scared of the voltage. They actually had great temps so I don't know that additional cooling will net anything.

Dual Cores are so 2008.. meh. Looking forward to [H]'s review though. :cool:

Higher overclock potential than the 4 core 45nm i5. Lower stock voltage. I expect this (on non ES chips) to be 1.0V to 1.1V

BTW, there is one of these for sale here for $180 and I have seen ones on eBay for $200.

Last edited:
1.44 and only 4.5Ghz? Im actually disappointed.

My thoughts exactly. Some E8400s can do that already.

Don't these run at pretty low stock voltages liek 0.9~1.0?
I really hope that screen above is using stock cooling.

Stock everything, it seems to go toe to toe with the X3 720 (although the 720 seems to edge it out in almost all of bjorn's benchmarks that its included in). What's the pricing on these things gonna be like? If not around the low $100s, I don't really see a need for this thing since the integrated graphics on AMD boards paired with an X3 720 or even an Athlon II X4 will still be better bang for the buck.

My question is why are they posting ES benchmarks when the real thing can be had (well at least in limited supply)?

Oh. I see this is the one with integrated GPU. Sorry.

Higher overclock potential than the 4 core 45nm i5. Lower stock voltage. I expect this (on non ES chips) to be 1.0V to 1.1V

BTW, there is one of these for sale here for $180 and I have seen ones on eBay for $200.

Actually, I posted both the one on here and on ebay. The ebay one had a higher price to offset fees. I don't think anyone else is selling these right now.

The review will be up tonight as in Sunday?

Was due up an hour ago. I got behind due to being sick as a dog for the last week. :( Trying to shove it all together in short order.....

Should be up in an hour or two from now.

The overclock wasn't all that impressive for the voltage. This this chip looks to be perfect for the pure low power HTPC. Looking forward to the [H] review and hope you're feeling better Kyle!

Great little cpus for casual users and notebooks! I'd consider making a HTPC with a 661.

The retail price on these chips is ridiculous..I don't understand why someone would buy this over a i5 750 or even a PHII 955.
Edit: Didn't know about the integrated GPU -- Interesting but still too pricey IMO

Last edited:
These new cpus have a built-in graphics processor. So you can save a bundle by not buying a video card.

These new cpus have a built-in graphics processor. So you can save a bundle by not buying a video card.

Retail price is what 196$ or so?
If I was on a tight budget I would prefer to buy an AMD X4 620 for 100$ and a 96$ GPU (4850/9800GTX+/4770)

Currently, There are not enough motherboards that support these new processors. Or can you somehow convert say a GB UD3 mobo to use the gpu outputs like HDMI and DVI? I might be confused.

After reading Anand's article, it seems like the big selling point for these is either gonna be A) HTPC systems (cost, power draw, audio bitstreaming, etc) or B) users for whom even a P55 / i5 750 setup was still too expensive (now they have i3). Anand has a lot more interesting OC results for those of you interested. Overall he reached the same conclusion many of you have tho, most of the chips are overpriced for what they are... Vast majority of enthusiasts are definitely better served w/a 750.

Hey, Kyle we had an exchange a while ago and the essence of it was that you claimed overclocking didn't sell cpu's, and wasn't important in the context of the overall market. Given how vastly overpriced these are relative to their performance, it'll be interesting to read your conclusion!! :D ;)

If you are going to say things like that please quote me.

I am going to close this since the "real" thread is now up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back