Intel Haswell i7-4770K IPC and Overclocking Review @ [H]

Just upgraded from 3770k to 4770k and realized it was a mistake, this thing overclocks the same as 3770k but is much HOTTER. Whats wrong with INTEL these days, no love for DESKTOP users?

Got my CPU from a local retailer in Germany today. Its a 4770k batch L308B202.

I followed the JJ/ASUS suggestion and set a multiplier of x46 and manual voltage of 1.200v.

The system will post and boot into Windows 8. It will however BSOD in AIDA64's stability test as well as FFMPEG video encoding after like 30 seconds.

Is this still considered a great CPU since it boots into Windows at x46/1.2 or is it supposed to be all stable?

I have another 4770k lying here, batch L311B514. Will see if that one runs better later today.

Edit: Got L311B514 installed now, BSOD before Windows 8 login screen at both x46/1.2 and x45/1.2. Went through at x44/1.2. This one seems to be the dud.

I'm installing the L308B202 again.

Last edited:
Got my CPU from a local retailer in Germany today. Its a 4770k batch L308B202.

I followed the JJ/ASUS suggestion and set a multiplier of x46 and manual voltage of 1.200v.

The system will post and boot into Windows 8. It will however BSOD in AIDA64's stability test as well as FFMPEG video encoding after like 30 seconds.

Is this still considered a great CPU since it boots into Windows at x46/1.2 or is it supposed to be all stable?

if it boots into windows its considered a better than average chip.
How well it does is another matter.
I could run super pi at 4,9ghz but not stable, testing 4.8ghz atm at 1.321v
oi62xt.jpg

I wouldn't trust Aida64 for stability testing Haswell. Motherboard manufacturers are pimping it because it makes them look better than they are. I ran a 4.8GHz overclock that was "stable" for a couple of hours. Then I fired up Handbrake and the machine crashed instantly. Without Aida64 running I tried launching some other benchmarks and running them only to find out that my "stable" overclock was anything but stable.

Kyle has the same result here.

Aida64 is a piece of $h1t.

I can run it for hours on my very average 4770K but Prime95 v2.7.9 fails within minutes, and Intel Burn Test the second it fills up memory and starts testing. It also used something like 50 watts less power than Intel Burn test 2.5.4 at 4.4 Ghz for me.

Your handbrake test is exactly why I'm runnning an AVX intensive test, because I have some DVDs I want to re-code for my 20 month old son, and I know that I'll be able to do it faster on my 4.9Ghz 3770K than my 4.4Ghz 4770K while slurping way less power.

You are lucky.

My experiences so far have sucked donkey nuts.

At 4.4Ghz with 1.38 Volts and nearly 2.0 V VCCin (minimum for stability) I'm looking at near 95 celsius temps on the hottest core, on a de-lidded 4770K with CoolLaboratories Liquid Metal Ultra between the chip and IHS under an Antec H2O 920.

On a Z87 TUF Gryphon I'm seeing 232-240 watts power usage on Intel Burn Test with AVX on Windows 7 SP1 brand new re-install. The only things connected are a Samsung 840 Pro, and I'm using the iGP.

This is supposedly a decent batch of L311B203, but obviously there is no such thing. I can run at 4.3Ghz with 1.3v and drop the hottest core by about 5 celsius, but I can get that OC on a regular 3770 without the power usage and heat output.

My de-lidded 3770K does 4.6Ghz at 155 watts on a Maximus V Gene on the same Windows install on a measly 1.25 volts VCore, AND no core goes above 65 celsius.

So consider yourself a lucky person ;)

Last edited:
Realistic maybe, but Aida64 ran for 12 hours on my chip at 4.4 Ghz and 1.295 volts with full stability and no throttling, and folding@home SMP client crashed within 8 hours.

Prime95 is still a good bet for full stability.

I have a sub-par 4770K. It needs 1.33 volts for 4.4Ghz stability and even with a de-lid/CLU application and use of a decent Antec 920 I'm getting full load temps near 87 Celsius on P95 with large workloads.

Chip is a joke. My de-lidded 3770K is running 4.9Ghz at 1.38 volts on a crappy Kuhler 620 at mid 70s with the same coollaboratories Ultra application.

Big step back for Intel IMHO.

I'm also thinking that they sent a bunch of golden samples to reviewers who are getting these easy 4.5+ Ghz overclocks.

Nah, lot of us are hitting 4.5ghz+. Heat is getting me.. I am getting 4.5ghz @ 1.255V. After the delid I will probably hit 4.6 or 4.7. It is still luck of the draw but I don't doub't they sent the reviewers a cherry picked sample... wouldn't you? lol

Nah, lot of us are hitting 4.5ghz+. Heat is getting me.. I am getting 4.5ghz @ 1.255V. After the delid I will probably hit 4.6 or 4.7. It is still luck of the draw but I don't doub't they sent the reviewers a cherry picked sample... wouldn't you? lol

Only if I wanted to piss off enthusiasts, which is primarily who would be buying the 4770Ks. I'm not surprised with the variances I'm seeing from others, but I figured after a de-lid I'd get some more headroom, and the change didn't seem so drastic like my 3770K.

My older post of what was stable was wrong. One might say that I shouldn't use Intel Burn Test because it over-stresses the chip, but it seems anything using AVX on these chips really kills them with power requirements.

As always your mileage may vary, but mine seems on par with a Lamborghini running E85 fuel.

I bought one more 4770K and I'll test on the same TUF Gryphon and see what I get. If it's the same I'll just re-sell and stick to Ivy Bridge and SB-E.

Last edited:

Thanks, i'm still testing various settings. Like said above, 4.6Ghz at 1.200v will boot into Windows 8 but BSOD under full load (AIDA64, FFmpeg, Cinebench 11.5), leave alone Prime. Since i'm on a H80i i'm kinda limited with the temperatures so I decided to not go further than 1.200v. 4.5Ghz wasn't stable at 1.175v, i'm down to 4.4Ghz now which was my initial clock speed goal. So far its alright and seems Prime stable at 1.170. I switched to Adaptive mode (+47) to get 1.170 under load and its at 1.065 when idleing.

Edit: I got a few more questions

Settings I changed related to OC, correct me if I did something wrong please:

Ai Overclock Tuner to X.M.P
Core Ratio Limit to 44 (Sync All Cores)
PLL Overvoltage: Disabled (Didn't want this and remembered it cause problems with Sleep modes before)
CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive Mode
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Core Voltage Offset: 47 (to get 1.170v under load which was stable when set as manual voltage)
C States: Enabled

Can I leave the Min/Max CPU Cache Ratio at AUTO or is it recommended to set it to 44 as well?
Should I leave CPU Power Phase Control at AUTO or set it to Optimized for my 4.4Ghz/1.170v OC?

Basically I OC'd the same way I did on Sandy and Ivy before, just Adaptive instead of Offset this time.

Last edited:
My de-lidded 3770K does 4.6Ghz at 155 watts on a Maximus V Gene on the same Windows install on a measly 1.25 volts VCore, AND no core goes above 65 celsius.

So consider yourself a lucky person ;)

yea, safe bet is the ivy bridge as far I can tell.
Unless costa rica batches changes this towards haswell again.
I dont mind if I had got a bad chip as I am already thinking 4930k this year.
unless they mess that series up ;)

Thanks, i'm still testing various settings. Like said above, 4.6Ghz at 1.200v will boot into Windows 8 but BSOD under full load (AIDA64, FFmpeg, Cinebench 11.5), leave alone Prime. Since i'm on a H80i i'm kinda limited with the temperatures so I decided to not go further than 1.200v. 4.5Ghz wasn't stable at 1.175v, i'm down to 4.4Ghz now which was my initial clock speed goal. So far its alright and seems Prime stable at 1.170. I switched to Adaptive mode (+47) to get 1.170 under load and its at 1.065 when idleing.

Edit: I got a few more questions

Settings I changed related to OC, correct me if I did something wrong please:

Ai Overclock Tuner to X.M.P
Core Ratio Limit to 44 (Sync All Cores)
PLL Overvoltage: Disabled (Didn't want this and remembered it cause problems with Sleep modes before)
CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive Mode
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Core Voltage Offset: 47 (to get 1.170v under load which was stable when set as manual voltage)
C States: Enabled

Can I leave the Min/Max CPU Cache Ratio at AUTO or is it recommended to set it to 44 as well?
Should I leave CPU Power Phase Control at AUTO or set it to Optimized for my 4.4Ghz/1.170v OC?

Basically I OC'd the same way I did on Sandy and Ivy before, just Adaptive instead of Offset this time.

not an expert but auto seems fine unless one need tweaking.
I havent change anything except voltage and multi and sync cores.

aida64's fpu stress test is no joke when run by itself (you'll need to untick the other stress test boxes) - on my i5-4670k, it easily drove up temps 10°c higher over prime95 and linx. with the other stress test boxes ticked in addition to fpu, the temps don't get quite as high.

on one run, the fpu stress test blue screened my system in three minutes that was previously stable running linx for 8 hours. temps were running pretty close to 100° (though no throttling), so very likely a thermal instability issue.

I ran a few quick tests to check how much of a performance benefit a higher Uncore/Cache ratio gives over stock:

Code:
				Stock settings			OC 1				OC 2

Auto Core/Auto Cache(x39)	OC Core(x44)/Auto Cache(x39)	OC Core(x44)/OC Cache(x44)

Cinebench			8.60				9.66				9.69

FFXIV ARR Benchmark		14040				14806				14912		

Passmark CPU			11118				12380				12395

7-zip				24683				27494				27534

3DMark11 Physics		10279				11142				11089

This is from a thread on OCN:

ap3b.jpg

So for a moderate 4.4Ghz overclock there is little to no benefit in overclocking the cache clock, the default (3.9Ghz for a 4770k) seems just fine.

Last edited:
True, but you're leaving performance on the table in my opinion. I don't calculate prime numbers with my computer, so I'm willing to accept high P95 load voltage and temps. I haven't come close to those voltages/temps in games for instance.

You won't. We were told from the very start that the IVR in adaptive mode would call for more voltage than necessary from programs like Prime95 and other synthetic load testers. Actual applications are another matter. We use Prime95 because it's definite stability. If it can pass Prime95 then it can handle any load. That being said with adaptive voltage you can probably push 100-200MHz more in real applications.

That being said, AIDA64 didn't validate testing. Cinebench or Handbrake will crash an "AIDA64 stable" overclock pretty easily. My point being that you may want to use Prime95 or something like it to ensure absolute stability.

I'm surprised 1.285V is in thermal throttling territory. Is that common on the new chips?

Actually it depends on the CPU load and it depends on your cooling. Closed loop water coolers can take some Haswell CPUs into 1.3v territory. At 1.3v+ you'll need a custom watercooling loop. At 1.35+ your generally beyond water cooling. These CPUs run hot and there can be a lot of variance from one to the next.

I'm still getting to know my test CPU, but 4.6GHz-4.7GHz seems to be it's ceiling on my Exos 2.5.

I finally finished all validations for my new build, fully stable with 4.4Ghz/1.184v. Highest peak temp in Prime95 was 87°C for a split second, I hope that didn't cause any damage to the chip.

During normal full load when encoding with FFmpeg I see 68-70°C, is that alright for a H80i or too high (around 24°C ambient) ? I used a rather thin layer of CLU on heatsink, didn't delid.

I'm getting one with an H110.

Planning on delidding it?

I have had great experience with over clocking delidded Ivy Bridge 3570k and 3770k and the more I read about Haswell the more it seems like a much hotter running chip with less over clock performance. Delidding seems like a must for Haswell to get some over clocking enjoyment out of it.

I enjoy a good over clocking challenge but the gains in over clocking Haswell vs. over clocking Ivy Bridge are not adding up. Just too much heat and extra costs for a hot ass chip that doesn't over clock well. Haswell k seriesl is not looking good for Intel or enthusiast.

Maybe Moores law has arrived and the days of enjoying nice performance gains with new chips is gone..

I had no plans to upgrade my 2600K, but the newegg bundle deals were too good.

I went with the cheaper 4670k and Gigabyte UD3 board. I hope I don't miss HT too much. $90 savings vs a 4770K seemed significant, though the HT performance numbers in encoding seemed significant too. I do some video encoding, but mostly just short 5 minute gaming clips for youtube.

The main reason I wanted to upgrade was for a newer motherboard to use Virtu MVP with. I want to connect my display to the motherboard and save power and heat when not gaming. It didn't seem worth it to buy a new 1155 motherboard at this point. Hopefully I can sell my old hardware for a decent price.

Last edited:
I currently have the Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition, is it worth upgrading the mobo and switching to Haswell?

I currently have the Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition, is it worth upgrading the mobo and switching to Haswell?

Couldn't be arsed to even read two comments back, could you? Or ANY post in this thread, for that matter?

I still have the lid on mine and its running at 4.6ghz at 1.25v .... and now im at 4.8ghz with 1.35v maybe i should delid my haswell too

Does a 4770k generally oc better than the 4670k? After delid and HT off of course.

Does a 4770k generally oc better than the 4670k? After delid and HT off of course.

Not certain but I think 4670k would over clock better because it has lower gpu clock, less cache, no HT built into it. Seems more simple and easier to push.

Last edited:
Some chips do overclock good for the 4770k's I would suggest trying to get 5.0ghz on lower than a 1.35v before delidding. Otherwise you might get stuck with a bad chip.

Some chips do overclock good for the 4770k's I would suggest trying to get 5.0ghz on lower than a 1.35v before delidding. Otherwise you might get stuck with a bad chip.

Those type of chips are to rare to get ones hopes up.

I'm happy with my delidded 4770k at 4.7 ghz 1.36v with cl9 2400mhz ram.

I had 3x 4770k chips and they were average/mediocre overclockers. (4.2ghz @ 1.2v or more) and over 1.20v temps start soaring into the 80s. I really don't want to delid either so I am going to SB-E.

I was looking forward to haswell and then it's a big flop on the OC and temps. Was hoping for some more oomph but this isn't cutting it.

I was looking forward to haswell and then it's a big flop on the OC and temps. Was hoping for some more oomph but this isn't cutting it.

Its not a big flop. Just takes time to learn to over clock. I really think that Intel doesn't even know how to control the billions of transistors in Haswell chips. With some updates and time Intel should be able to get it into shape.

This post was done under 100% AIDA64 load during stability testing.

4.7GHZ 4770k vcore 1.328v., Memory 2400mhz.

http://valid.canardpc.com/2880102

I picked up a giga Z87C-UD4H board, and consider swithcing to a 4670K or more like 4770K from my 8320.
My current cpu runs easily on 4,5ghz, so is it worth to change? I heard that most of the haswells are running very hot.
I'm mostly gaming on this rig, and i will probably change my GPU for the new 9970.

I am looking at getting a 4770k for benches. Has anyone been able to push 5ghz on water on 4770k for it to be stable enough to do 3dmark11 3dmark13, valley and heaven. I know these are gpu benches, but that's what I am looking for with the 4770k at 5ghz. I already have 3930k at 5.1.

I picked up a giga Z87C-UD4H board, and consider swithcing to a 4670K or more like 4770K from my 8320.
My current cpu runs easily on 4,5ghz, so is it worth to change? I heard that most of the haswells are running very hot.
I'm mostly gaming on this rig, and i will probably change my GPU for the new 9970.

You might see a tiny bump in a handful of games depending on your gaming resolution and quality settings.

http://www.techspot.com/review/689-company-of-heroes-2-performance/page4.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/page6.html

Note these tests are at medium quality settings, so more cpu usage than higher quality which you are likely to use.

The bottom line is don't waste your money unless you strike a game that maxes one or more of your cores in Task Manger which is the basic ballpark way to check.

You might see a tiny bump in a handful of games depending on your gaming resolution and quality settings.

http://www.techspot.com/review/689-company-of-heroes-2-performance/page4.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/page6.html

Note these tests are at medium quality settings, so more cpu usage than higher quality which you are likely to use.

The bottom line is don't waste your money unless you strike a game that maxes one or more of your cores in Task Manger which is the basic ballpark way to check.

That pretty much sums it up thanks.
I thought the same too, that i would pick up a few fps in some games, but nothing mayor.
Actually i can play every game now, nothing wrong with this setup,the only thing makes me think about changing that the board was dirt cheap, so i could change it with pretty much no spending (my AMD board and CPU could cover the new cpu).
It really seems tho that only the 4770K is worth the change...

I kind of wish I'd have gotten the i7-4770 now...

just built my i7-4770K /Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H rig (hd7950 crucial M4 (256GB)..8GB DDR3...blah blah blah)

getting 70s C on prime 95 @ stock w/ hyper212Evo .... my computer room is blazing hot in the socal summer heat...probably not going to oc the i7 for now....making me kinda wish i had gotten the i7-4770 for the the ****ing VT-d intel insists on disabling on the k's

meh...on the upside it is pretty zippy at stock

i probably wouldn't have bothered upgrading from my i5-2500K but my wife has been rocking a C2D E5200 / GA-P35-DS3L rig for a good while now..and she needed a upgrade so she gets the i5 and I got the i7

Have my cpu started dying on me?

Overclocked my 4770k, delided, with Kraken X60 up to 4.4 ghz which needed 1.32 vcore to be stable. The temps were good and topped at around 70 degrees in Prime95.
After this I have been trying to reach 4.6 ghz, and was stable (tested 2-3 hours) stress testing without overclocking the memory at 1.41 vcore.

Here is the settings I've been using trying to get 4.6 ghz stable:

vcore: 1.41-1.42
multiplier X 46
uncore/cache X 35
vRing 1.3 (1.20 - 1.3) (allso tried auto which gave 1.33)
VRIN/input 1.9 - 2.1
VCCSA 0.2 - 0.3 (Allso tried auto) Tried for offset + 0.4 during a stress test for 8 hours, after reading that stock is 0.820, + 0.4 = 1.22 (1.30 is max) which got memory on 2133 mhz stable.
VCCIOA auto
VCCIOD auto

Stress tested with Prime95 and AIDA64 and the temps topped at around 75-77 degrees.
Idle 25-30 degrees.

Yesterday I decided trying to overclock with OCCT with Linpack, AVX, all cores enabled.
Suddenly my cpu temps started rising instantley up to 100 degrees, so I stopped the stress test.

After this when I tried any stress test it instantly started raising up to 100+ degrees and had to stop it.

Repasted my cpu again, reset cmos, and reinstalled BIOS (incase something got messed up), but the same thing happended when I started stress testing, stright up to 100+ degrees.
Checked the cpu fans on the Kraken X60 heatsink, and they seem in order.

Tried to downclock to 1.20 vcore and lower cpu multiplier, but same think happened, stright to 100+ degrees.

Only thing that seem to work now are stock clocks, and even they are reaching 80-83 degrees after around 5 minutes.

So is my cpu dying on me, or can it be the motherboard that has gotten to high volts?

Yesterday I decided trying to overclock with OCCT with Linpack, AVX, all cores enabled.

OCCT with Linpack & AVX just really push high temps

your CPU is possibly dying if its requiring more voltage to maintain the same CPU speed or if you are experiencing stability issues (BSODs) even at stock settings

your CPU is not dying (although running this can definitely help contribute) if running OCCT Linpack AVX and getting really high temps.

curious? why delid... why not just buy the $25 tuning protection and say F*** it if it burns and get it replaced by intel?

why kill the warranty deliding and all that... meh...

I think my i7-4770 is doing good temp wise ??

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H .... eveything is stock settings with a hyper212 evo cooler... getting 72C on hottest core on prime95 and hit about 75C running IBT

Back