Intel Haswell i7-4770K IPC and Overclocking Review @ [H]

zeusapollon n00bie, 3 Months

Repasted the TIM again, took my time, and now the temps are back at "normal" again.
You're right, it might be that OCCT with linpack and AVX that did make the TIM uneven or something like that. AT least it was when I started running that stresstest my problems occured.

So guess it isn't dead after all! (still).

Started rising only the multiplier to 40, RAM at 1333 mhz at 1.5v and everything else on auto.
Theese are the voltages showing at auto:

vcore 0.912v
VIN/VRIN 1.864
VID 1.201
vRing 1.229

Testing before it needed 1.32 vcore to get 4.4 mhz stable with ram at 1866 mhz. 2133 XMP BSOD'ed.
Even at 1866 I experience some "hangs/freezing" for a couple of seconds if my computer stands on for a day or so. Wonder if it is something I can adjust on the ram voltages to adjust this?

Have tried VCCSA up to offset + 0.3, but kept DRAM at 1.65 at all time I think (Which might be high for 1866?). Have Kingston HyperX 16 GB 2400 mhz ram modules. 2133 mhz gives me BSOD (often 124), and 2400 mhz have several times failed loading even at stock cpu vcore with post message: fail, check RAM module A. (Or ram module B). Have to load default settings in BIOS again to get them to work again. Have switched both modules, and it isn't a one of them that gives the error every time. Ram module 1 can give the error in slot A2 or B2, as can ram module 2. So guess it's not the ram modules causing this?

As for deliding, read about great results doing this with the hammer method, and it gave me 18-20 degrees lower temps with CLU between the die and IHS. So worked great for me.

What vcore do you run at to get temps of 70-72?

Last edited:
Made a double post, and doesn't quite find how to delete this message? Lokks like I'm blind on both eyes today....
Please delete this post moderator.

Last edited:
Lots of people here reporting that they've needed to jack up their VCore to get the higher OCs. Doesn't seem like a big deal as long as you have decent cooling. I'll have to try again for some overclocks now that I have 2400MHz RAM.

I just got the i7-4770k yesterday.

I'm thinking about retuning it and getting a slightly higher end mobo and getting the i5 4670k. If all i do is game, some light coding, and web browsing, the i5 should be plenty right?

I just got the i7-4770k yesterday.

I'm thinking about retuning it and getting a slightly higher end mobo and getting the i5 4670k. If all i do is game, some light coding, and web browsing, the i5 should be plenty right?

HT benefits BF3 so I'd assume the 4770k will be better for BF4

I kind of wish I'd have gotten the i7-4770 now...

just built my i7-4770K /Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H rig (hd7950 crucial M4 (256GB)..8GB DDR3...blah blah blah)

getting 70s C on prime 95 @ stock w/ hyper212Evo .... my computer room is blazing hot in the socal summer heat...probably not going to oc the i7 for now....making me kinda wish i had gotten the i7-4770 for the the ****ing VT-d intel insists on disabling on the k's

meh...on the upside it is pretty zippy at stock

i probably wouldn't have bothered upgrading from my i5-2500K but my wife has been rocking a C2D E5200 / GA-P35-DS3L rig for a good while now..and she needed a upgrade so she gets the i5 and I got the i7
The new AVX instruction set makes the use of Prime pretty foolish for benching haswell. In any case, overclock to 4.2 ghz, you should be able to get it at stock voltage. Not a good idea to get Haswell and cool it with a 212 anyways (esp an i7).

Are you sure? Have any links for that?

I read that somewhere a few months back too. With HT on the maximum FPS was higher but the minimum was lower. It also "felt" less smooth. Assuming due to the lower minimum fps.

I suspect BF4 will be even better as far as HT usage.

So, will I see a noticeable performance gain encoding videos with i7-4770K (stock or overclocked) vs. i5-2500K @ 4.3 GHz?

Hit 4.2ghz @1.25v on my 4770k last night on an H70. Temps were in the mid 80s during IBT.

Really need better cooling though. I have a feeling this thing can clock pretty well if I can keep temps under control.

IMG_20130927_192542_zpse32eda44.jpg

IMG_20130927_200053_zpscdc869e4.jpg

I hit 4.6 stable with 1.25V (BIOS) on my new 4770K - this is on an H110 with the crap Corsair fans on full. I'll have some Noctuas in there tomorrow. Looks like I definitely got an upper percentile chip, but certainly not anywhere Golden. I'm happy - from the sounds of it, it could've been much worse. Any holy cow these things get hot!

Hmmmm... tempted to delid the thing. Not for higher OC, but if I could cool it down 10 degrees...

Nice! I'm going to turn the fans up and start shooting higher.

I'd like to hit 4.5 on this H70.

The delid was very easy, lapping was way more annoying. I used the vice/hammer method, worked like a charm.

Would a 4.8 SB and a 4.2 HW be about the same? Close enough that it doesn't matter?

They say SB > HW are about 400-500MHz apart, clock for clock. I don't know if I buy that. I did a bunch of before and after SB4.6 > HW4.6 benches and they're real close at that speed. I think the HW starts to pull away when you're doing heavy rendering, compression, encoding etc. Day to day stuff, they're much closer IMO. YMMV

There's no shortage of official synthetic benchmarks out there comparing the two on respectable websites that will answer this question properly.

Got mine at 4.3 GHz, @ stock V. Seems stable so far. Using a Noctua NH-D14, temps are less than 80 C in AIDA64 stress test. Maximum 60 C under normal usage. Pretty satisfied with it actually, I'd still be more comfortable with 10 degrees less under full load stress test. And I don't even want to think what the temps would be in benchmarks like Intel Burn Test. I'll try to push it to 4.4 and 4.5 later on, see how it goes.

Last edited:
They say SB > HW are about 400-500MHz apart, clock for clock. I don't know if I buy that. I did a bunch of before and after SB4.6 > HW4.6 benches and they're real close at that speed. I think the HW starts to pull away when you're doing heavy rendering, compression, encoding etc. Day to day stuff, they're much closer IMO. YMMV

There's no shortage of official synthetic benchmarks out there comparing the two on respectable websites that will answer this question properly.
Thats what makes the poor overclocking of HW so painful. SB could routinely reach so much higher that HW feels like a downgrade, and might actually perform like a downgrade in many ways

Got my new i7-4770k. Hits 4.3GHz with everything stock with a Hyper 212+.

4.5GHz with 1.23V (IBT, Prime95AVX, AIDA64 stable), haven't tried to push it yet. Pretty happy so far (especially since I came from a C2Q Q9450).

Got my new i7-4770k. Hits 4.3GHz with everything stock with a Hyper 212+.

4.5GHz with 1.23V (IBT, Prime95AVX, AIDA64 stable), haven't tried to push it yet. Pretty happy so far (especially since I came from a C2Q Q9450).

How noticable is the jump in speed? I'm moving from a q9450 soon and would love to hear how big the improvement actually is.

is the Hyper 212 a fan cooler or liquid cooling?

It's an above average but nowhere near the top, air cooler. Cheap though.

How noticable is the jump in speed? I'm moving from a q9450 soon and would love to hear how big the improvement actually is.
In Windows you'd want an SSD if you want to see a difference.

For me, I play Battlefield and I had been quite CPU limited before and now it's like I've been uncapped for the 64 player servers.

Can't wait for BF4 to come out now. I was running 20-40FPS after the beta performance patch.

Thats what makes the poor overclocking of HW so painful. SB could routinely reach so much higher that HW feels like a downgrade, and might actually perform like a downgrade in many ways

Oh it's definitely a downgrade. I was one of the unlucky ones to get the "30%" chip and it will absolutely not go over 4.3ghz. That's pathetic in my opinion. I'm not even going to get into the heat issues with these new Haswell processors. Haswell sucks. I always tell people that are looking for a new chip to look for a used 2600k or buy a Sandy Bridge chip.

I don't think I was lucky either with my CPU, I'm trying now at 4.3GHz with 1.22 adaptive voltage, but I'm running 2400MHz 1.65v mems

I can't reach 4.3GHz :(

core multi: 43X
cpu cache: 39X
manual cpu core voltage: 1.22
manual cache voltage: 1.25
VCCSA: +0.25
mems at JEDEC 1333MHz 1.5v
cpu input voltage: 1.85

temps around 92º, BSOD after a few minutes of aida64 FPU :(

what else can I do?

Also failed:

core multi: 43X
cpu cache: 35X
manual cpu core voltage: 1.22
manual cache voltage: 1.15
mems at JEDEC 1333MHz 1.5v
cpu input voltage: 1.8

EDIT: settled at 4.2GHz

CPU Core Ratio: 42x
CPU Cache Ratio: Auto (39x)
CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive 1.225v
Additional Turbo CPU Cache Voltage: Adaptive +0.1v
RAM: XMP1 (2400MHz 10-10-12-31-1T)

Last edited:
Settled at 4.2 @ 1.1v on air using AIDA64 to stress.

Last edited:

I agree, out of 3x 2600k's all of them hit 5.2 Ghz with ease on water.

My chip doesn't seem to overclock that well, had to up core voltage to 1.205v for 4.1 GHz

But, I am happy with it. Compared to my old i7 920 at the same clock, it is around 50% faster in Dolphin.

My chip doesn't seem to overclock that well, had to up core voltage to 1.205v for 4.1 GHz

But, I am happy with it. Compared to my old i7 920 at the same clock, it is around 50% faster in Dolphin.

Lol, I been wanting to upgrade my 920 as well, but I dont game or do as much on my PC anymore.. :[

hi,

Can anybody try to undeclock the 4770K to 4770T frequencies (base and turbo)
Is it possible?
I'd like to buy the "T" version but only the "K" is available here.
Thanks

Just upgraded from i7 975 Extreme to Haswell. Can't get the cpu to run at 4.6 after hours of trying, so am trying 4.5 right now. I ran Prime 95 for about 4+ hours or so and no crashes or errors. Trying some games now and hopefully, I can run it stable at this speed. *crosses fingers* Ack, just got a blue screen in Crysis 3 at 4.5. Lowering to 4.4 now...

As for performance gains between Haswell and my old cpu, I'm happy to say that the difference is night and day! To test this, I tested out Sleeping Dogs. I would always go to this one location in the game, and see my frame rate plummet down to around 55 or so. On my overclocked Haswell, the frame rate at the exact same location is around 110 or so, about 100% jump in performance! Same thing with Serious Sam 3. On my old i7 975 Extreme, I wasn't getting very good gpu usage from my 680's in Serious Sam 3. With Haswell, gpu usage is pretty high now, and as a result, I'm seeing 100% or much higher performance gains on Haswell!

Last edited:
I've got mine at 4.4 with 1.28V. I can run 4.5 but its not stable.4.5GHZ Works at DDR1600 speeds. 4.4Ghz works at DDR 2400. Not sure which is better. 4.6Ghz is a no go. I had to upgrade because of SATA 3 SSDs and PCIe3, Which all of my other stuff used but i wasnt getting the advantage with a i7 920

Last edited:
I'm due for an upgrade soon (getting ready for Witcher 3!) and it's been quite a while since my last build. May 2008 to be exact and I have a Wolfdale e8400 if that tells you anything.

I was curious to see how Haswell performs in desktop environment but from what I've read in Kyle's review and on the forum it doesn't seem worth it much and I should probably stick to Ivy Bridge right now.
The one caveat is that a lot of the complaints about the Haswell regard OC and frankly I don't OC, so in that case should I get a Haswell anyway to save on power consumption and such?

Mostly I game (Witcher, WoW, FPS...), I do some very mild video editing (and very rarely) and the rest is your basic browsing, media... which any CPU can manage so I'm even debating getting and i5 to save on cost.

I agree, out of 3x 2600k's all of them hit 5.2 Ghz with ease on water.

I am looking to upgrade my i7 920 system soon but now you have me reconsidering the 4770k... :( Sounds like I should save my money.

Haswell is fine - it just runs hot as hell unless you delid and doesn't clock as hard as last-gen. I have no complaints with my 4770k setup and it'll last me for many years.

Haswell is fine - it just runs hot as hell unless you delid and doesn't clock as hard as last-gen. I have no complaints with my 4770k setup and it'll last me for many years.

I'm not sure if I plan on deliding though and even though it's fine so is Ivy Bridge so why not save a bit of money?
Are there any new interface or such in Haswell that make it more future proof?

sigh, i dont have the balls to delid a cpu yet.. dont feel like f***ing up a $300 tiny piece of hardware..

Back