Intel Haswell-E Core i7-5960X CPU & X99 Chipset @ [H]

Anyone upgrade from an Ivy Bridge E setup?

What kind of improvement are we seeing? Looking for opinions, not links.

Did anyone buy these at all? :)

Or are they all waiting for ram?

Basically I would have to pay 7 times as much as I did for my current 4670k to gain a few % that I likely wont ever notice. so that is a no on upgrade.
cpu is good enough for a long time so I look forward the die shrink on gpu.
I dont forsee a upgrade anytime soon.

Basically I would have to pay 7 times as much as I did for my current 4670k to gain a few % that I likely wont ever notice. so that is a no on upgrade.
cpu is good enough for a long time so I look forward the die shrink on gpu.
I dont forsee a upgrade anytime soon.

I really thought about the 5960x and have the money. But even from a 980x its not that big a deal. Yeah its 30% faster per core and 2 extra cores, but, meh. I don't really need the speed. Games are fine with 780ti :)

What is everyone setting their ring clock to? I'm currently dialing in 4.5ghz on the 5960x, but I'm not sure what to do with the other clock. Right now I set ring voltage to 1.15v and clock to 3.5ghz. Had a hard lock at 4ghz, so I just left it at 3.5ghz/1.15v for the time being while I figure out what 4.5ghz on the cpu requires.

That's a crazy CPU, the only way I'll be able to afford it is only if I wait a few years lol.

The comparisons between the Intel chips and the AMD chip are bunk. All the Intel chips heavily overclocked and water cooled. The AMD is bone stock as well as handicapped by very poor RAM latencies even compared to the Intel setups with the same type of RAM. It's not apples-to-apples and the story is very different when all of these chips are benchmarked at stock settings with normal (i.e. 1600MHz 9-9-9-24) RAM configurations. If you take the stock benchmarks and divide by the CPU prices, the FX-9590 really gives Intel a run for its money.

I have only been able to get mine at 4.3Ghz at 1.25V with a Rampage 5 Extreme. Any more voltage bump makes LinX go above 90C.

Although the processor can post all the way up to 4.54Ghz, the H100i just cannot keep it cooled down with LinX running. Temps cross 100C easily and the system shuts down.

I have ordered an H105 just to see if I can get a 5-6C reduction. The TDP reading at 1.35V is almost 300W :O

I have only been able to get mine at 4.3Ghz at 1.25V with a Rampage 5 Extreme. Any more voltage bump makes LinX go above 90C.

Although the processor can post all the way up to 4.54Ghz, the H100i just cannot keep it cooled down with LinX running. Temps cross 100C easily and the system shuts down.

I have ordered an H105 just to see if I can get a 5-6C reduction. The TDP reading at 1.35V is almost 300W :O

I say set it to 32x125 and put it at 1.2 volts and call it a day. That's what I did.

So I'm currently using a 6-core Xeon @ 3.7ghz on the old x58 chipset. After 5 years, it's starting to feel long in the tooth and I'm considering upgrading to the x99. Namely, I'm missing out on a lot of SSD performance, feeling starved for RAM in some situations (running a 6gb setup), and probably missing out on better FPS. Has anyone gone from an x58 setup (overclocked Xeon or i7-9xx) to x99, and if so, what were your thoughts on perf. improvements in games and apps? Was it worth it, or would I be better served just getting a Z97 setup or waiting for Broadwell?

Namely, I'm missing out on a lot of SSD performance

I say only if you plan to get an M2 based SSD. SATA III does not give you a huge advantage over SATA II in most real world desktop applications since most of the time you will not be reading large files sequentially and you will probably not have a high queue depth either.

Last edited:
I say only if you plan to get an M2 based SSD. SATA III does not give you a huge advantage over SATA II in most real world desktop applications since most of the time you will not be reading large files sequentially and you will probably not have a high queue depth either.

IMHO it's not the time to get a M.2 SSD.
My M.2 slot on my X99 Deluxe is burning, I really want an M.2 SSD but they are not ready for what they should offer.

I literally cried when the review said about those 1366 guys, after so many years finally comes a platform I could say farewell to my beloved (yet still strong) 920 OC, about to jump on the new ship.

So I'm currently using a 6-core Xeon @ 3.7ghz on the old x58 chipset. After 5 years, it's starting to feel long in the tooth and I'm considering upgrading to the x99. Namely, I'm missing out on a lot of SSD performance, feeling starved for RAM in some situations (running a 6gb setup), and probably missing out on better FPS. Has anyone gone from an x58 setup (overclocked Xeon or i7-9xx) to x99, and if so, what were your thoughts on perf. improvements in games and apps? Was it worth it, or would I be better served just getting a Z97 setup or waiting for Broadwell?

I was in the same situation, but went with a RAM upgrade and nothing else.

The difference singlethreaded between x5960 is about 70%, and the new ssd's arent out anyway. In a years time, we will have nvme and pcie 4 and ddr4 ram will be down in price. Until then, a bit more ram (now 24gb) solved my performance problems.

I love my 5960x (even though it OC's like crap) I have owned 3930k and 4930ks before, but this thing is a different animal in rendering and editing!

I also own a 5930k but I htink its about to find a new home.

I'm currently running a 5930k and this is a lot of power for just a personal computer, I'd like to see this bad boy in action!

I'm considering going X99 and Haswelk-E because of the supposed DX12 multi-core benefits and the immediate DDR4 availability, but was wondering if somebody could give me a general idea of how the thermals compare to the devil's canyon chips on air.

I know these Haswell-E's are 140W chips so I assume they also run hotter esp. overclocked, but if anybody has personal experience with them vs say the 4790K I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

I made the move from X79 to X99 with a 5960X and its unreal. Even during gaming all cores are being utilized very well. Couldn't be happier, this chip is an absolute monster.

I'm considering going X99 and Haswelk-E because of the supposed DX12 multi-core benefits and the immediate DDR4 availability, but was wondering if somebody could give me a general idea of how the thermals compare to the devil's canyon chips on air.

I know these Haswell-E's are 140W chips so I assume they also run hotter esp. overclocked, but if anybody has personal experience with them vs say the 4790K I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Heavily overclocked they will produce a lot of heat and pull a ton of power. Depending on the OC I would recommend at least a very high end air cooler or AIO water cooler minimum. The 5820K that I have can draw around 350W @ 4.5GHz (1.28v), with two 780 TI's (also OCd) the system will draw over 1000W under full load.

Heavily overclocked they will produce a lot of heat and pull a ton of power. Depending on the OC I would recommend at least a very high end air cooler or AIO water cooler minimum. The 5820K that I have can draw around 350W @ 4.5GHz (1.28v), with two 780 TI's (also OCd) the system will draw over 1000W under full load.

My 5930K @ 4.2GHz with 1.280V,
with two EVGA GTX980 SuperClocked in SLI don't go over 600W,
can't understand like a system you described can draw over 1000W.

100W more? nothing that can pull 1000W.

I don't know how much his cards are overclocked, but if they are overvolted it is not out of the question. 780 Tis can be pushed hard enough to draw over 300W per card. In normal gaming I doubt he is hitting 1000w but in a stress test like FurMark it is possible.

I don't know how much his cards are overclocked, but if they are overvolted it is not out of the question. 780 Tis can be pushed hard enough to draw over 300W per card. In normal gaming I doubt he is hitting 1000w but in a stress test like FurMark it is possible.

With three of them I would routinely hit 950+ watts at stock clocks.

Anyway, back on topic my 5960X is running good at [email protected]. Temps while running Prime95 are around 70c or so. While gaming I'm typically hitting no more than 47c-50c. I am going to see how good this chip really is and try to bring the voltage down to 1.29v or 1.28v. I will also play around at 4.5GHz and see what temperatures I get and how much voltage is required. I want the system to be 24/7 stable under virtually all conditions as I use that machine for work as well as gaming.

Last edited:

5820k @ 4.3 1.15 vcore and 2 780ti sc here (boost clock about 1150 1.175v on the hottest card) and my kill-o-watt hasnt seen more than 720w while gaming so far.

Technically everything loaded at 100% should pull more than that but, technically that's not what most of us push 1's and 0's around for.

I'm in the same position. I bought my X58 system back in December 2008. It has been rock solid and has been water cooled for a number of years. I have upgraded the video card a time or two but the system is basically the same.

I'm in the process to upgrading to a X99 system with a 5960X. I've never gone this long prior to upgrading (previous record was about 2 years and not 6 years).

Is the 2011-v3 a dead end? I'm going to be buying a new PC soon and have about $1500 to use. I'm thinking Asus Sabertooth X99 and the 5820K. I do a lot of 3D Rendering (3DS Max) so having the extra cores and cache WILL HELP. But from what I have seen, there are only 3 CPU's on the 2011-v3 socket and I am not reading any further support. This platform is almost a year old now! Is it a dead-end? I have seen this happen many times that a socket just gets dropped in favor of staying with old stockets, and whoever buys into it gets left behind.

Is the 2011-v3 a dead end? I'm going to be buying a new PC soon and have about $1500 to use. I'm thinking Asus Sabertooth X99 and the 5820K. I do a lot of 3D Rendering (3DS Max) so having the extra cores and cache WILL HELP. But from what I have seen, there are only 3 CPU's on the 2011-v3 socket and I am not reading any further support. This platform is almost a year old now! Is it a dead-end? I have seen this happen many times that a socket just gets dropped in favor of staying with old stockets, and whoever buys into it gets left behind.

Yes, 2011 V3 is as much of a stop gap as 2011. The major improvements in 2011 V3 are platform wide, and are often about the intel NIC and RAID (add on cards) that are part of the platform and were upgraded. If you are not on the server/workstation side and tossing a few hundred at the right NICs and RAID items you aren't actually getting anywhere remotely near a fraction of the platform or it's value. True high end 2011 V3 isn't even reference at all, the multisockets get into straight custom through provider level.

It's easier to see that it's a stop gap from the power user/enterprise side, but it is what it is. A lot of this is lost on the consumer/enthusiast/gamer market because they will never see the full platform.

No, this is not a dead end, and I disagree with the above poster. Intel is launching Broadwell-E in Q1 2016 which will support by the current X99 chipset based motherboards that feature the LGA 2011-3 socket.

Back