Intel Haswell-E Core i7-5960X CPU & X99 Chipset @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Intel Haswell-E Core i7-5960X CPU & X99 Chipset - There are many members of the "1366 X58 Enthusiast Overclockers Club" that have been waiting with bated breath for Intel's launch of the new X99 Express Chipset and new family of Core i7 Haswell-E processors. All this new hardware comes bundled with brand new DDR4 RAM technology packing huge bandwidth as well.

What a beast of a chip, reminds me of my 3930k and 64GB of ram and dual titans

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle, you mentioned how the huge cache and the memory bandwidth added up to increased performance.

An interesting test would be to set up the DDR3 system with some very fast RAM (2400 or 3000) and see how much of the gap it takes out?

It might give us a better idea how much is the monster memory bandwidth... and how much is the cache/cores.

Because even though we all know memory speed is a small difference, the DDR4 Haswell-E has a very large jump in memory frequency. (except in CAS which is not impressive yet).

Let the discussion now move to Broadwell and Skylake! ;)

Seriously a powerhouse of a chip though....

I want to see a 6-core IVY-E vs a 6-core Haswell-E.

4960x and 4930k vs the 5930k.

And just as I expected, the latency on DDR4 kills the throughput.

Kyle, you mentioned how the huge cache and the memory bandwidth added up to increased performance.

An interesting test would be to set up the DDR3 system with some very fast RAM (2400 or 3000) and see how much of the gap it takes out?

It might give us a better idea how much is the monster memory bandwidth... and how much is the cache/cores.

Because even though we all know memory speed is a small difference, the DDR4 Haswell-E has a very large jump in memory frequency. (except in CAS which is not impressive yet).

You get all that data done and verified and put it in a full article and shoot it over and I will get right on it. :)

Seriously, the cores and cache are where it is at currently and few applications have the need for the huge bandwidth outside of professional desktop and content applications.

I want to see a 6-core IVY-E vs a 6-core Haswell-E.

4960x and 4930k vs the 5930k.

And just as I expected, the latency on DDR4 kills the throughput.

I do not have those new Haswell-E CPUs on hand sadly. We will be buying a couple soon though.

Yeah, DDR4 latency is an "issue" right now. But that will go away as it moves forward as the clocks come up and the prices come down.

Finally something to be excited about - I haven't looked so much forward to doing a CPU upgrade since the i920! Tasty!

Was there a reason AMD was left completely off the charts? Is it because it is so slow by comparison you would have to stretch the graphs just to show it registering?

Great, review. Just need to justify if its worth moving from my 4790K but since my machine is mostly gaming I am not sure.

Thanks for another great review here, Kyle and co.

Can't say I'm too surprised by the results. The extra core will only show it's advantage in applications that can use as many cores, and unfortunately gaming isn't there yet.

Still, it's impressive in terms of CPU technology. Lets just hope that the application side will catch up soon.

Still not seeing a reason to upgrade my 2600K. Primarily use it for gaming. What do you think?

If you have it clocked up above 4.3GHz are so, which you should, I would suggest that you would not find any overwhelming gaming advantages unless you are running CF/SLI and need extra lanes for huge screen resolutions.

Just looking through the Intel CPU history, this is the first Intel CPU that we have given an award to since 2011.

I might have missed it, but I don't see anything in the conclusion re: longevity. 8 cores and DDR4 is going to be "future resistant" for a good long while. I know I'm not going to be upgrading anything but my GPU's (and probably SSDs) for the next 3 years.

So a 5960X might be a good investment for even more mainstream enthusiasts who don't necessarily need 8 cores now but don't want to buy new hardware every year.

Thank you Kyle. Great review as always from you and the rest of the [H] team; you guys always go about it in the most methodical and controlled way.

Any chance we'll be seeing some specific X99 mobo reviews from you guys soon? I need your science to help me decide which one to buy!

Love to have one for the cool factor but for the cost of entry right now I will be sticking with my [email protected] for a long time to come. I don't see my cpu being game limiting for at least 3-4 years.

It will be interesting to see how the OC results stack up between the 5960X, 5930K, and 5920K. The fewer cores might allow the lower models to hit higher clocks, but only if heat is the primary limiter.

Any plans for a multi-GPU comparison in the near future?

IMHO the 5820k becomes a "why not?" buy if you are considering a 4770k or 4790k at microcenter, since the pricing is $299.99 + $40 off a board. for +$20-$50 I'd take 2 extra cores. That is, assuming you can stomach the memory pricing.

Great review Kyle and team, thank you.

I'm on the fence about moving away from my 3770K and getting a 5930K. I run 3 video cards in my system and I plan on getting a 4K monitor in the near future.

Do you think the 5930K along with a X99 board will help my gamming performance?

Thanks for the review Kyle. Get some rest, you've earned it. :p

I'm going to build a 5960X system later next year. Need it for video encoding. It's looking like this system seems to OC reasonably well.

On that note, it does not look like the 20MB cache nor DDR4 made a huge difference in most computational tasks.

I'm personally hoping for some really great mATX boards that showcase this chipset with the two spots to each side of the CPU socket to throw memory in. First manufacturer that pulls this off will have me rushing to Microcenter and buying into this chipset not only for myself, but for the missus too :D

Good read!

Oh, these are interesting chips! Will consider upgrading my venerable 920 once the DDR4 price comes down from the stratosphere and timings improve. Good stuff.

I'm personally hoping for some really great mATX boards that showcase this chipset with the two spots to each side of the CPU socket to throw memory in. First manufacturer that pulls this off will have me rushing to Microcenter and buying into this chipset not only for myself, but for the missus too :D

Me too... mATX in a new Lian Li PC-V359 case.

Thank you Kyle. Great review as always from you and the rest of the [H] team; you guys always go about it in the most methodical and controlled way.

Any chance we'll be seeing some specific X99 mobo reviews from you guys soon? I need your science to help me decide which one to buy!

Should have the ASUS X00-Deluxe up next week. I am trying to get hold of another CPU this weekend. Need to get to Microcenter as Dan now has our only CPU.

I am the one who is going to be benefited mostly! Seriously I will move along (DON'T lough) a Q9550 @ 3.4GHz (SSD, GTX780) to the 5960X.

The machine will be used for 3Ds Max & Autodesk Revit and several Adobe Apps at work so I think it will be put to good use.

I will wait a few more months though till then while buying other parts (Raid Controllers, SSDs, HDs etc) so that I won't get M/B Revisions 1.0.

the I/O upgrades on this thing is a damn dream!

I can't wait to see the other Asus X99 boards.

Yeah when you look at the mini jumps that sandy, ivy and haswell brought over the previous cpu family I'm not surprised why. Its why there are so many of us in the aforementioned 1366 x58 Xeon club. Its a bit behind the times but it's holding up quite well for 5 year old platform

in fact the the last award was for sandy bridge who was the last major jump from nehalem it was quite reasonable reason to upgrade..

Nice review, can't wait for some mobo reviews. I've been exclusively ASUS for 10 years or more (Since nForce 2 chipset) but wouldn't mind seeing a review on that MSI gaming 9 AC board too... Friend at work keeps plugging MSI.

22nm, what sort of temps will be typical on this cpu on Air vs on Water? Thinking of finally going to watercooling...

I am still happy with my [email protected]/x58 which is 5.5 years old, but once this platform has been out a few months I am going to jump in. My old second pc died so it's time to trickle down.

Looks sexy, but seems like we need to wait for DDR4 prices to come down and speed to go up.

Looks sexy, but seems like we need to wait for DDR4 prices to come down and speed to go up.

Disagree on the last part. Not even a few months ago I remember seeing a review that showed anything past DDR3-2133 didn't really matter for real world usage.

I am still at odds with integer performance of this CPU, which took a bashing from DDR3 based E5-2678w on the metric most relevant to my usage scenario:

fritz.png

Back